Beta.

89 posts in this topic

Posted

One of my favorite things to do after beating Ocarina of Time, was to look at the endless amount of Beta screens, and stories.

Unfourtanitly, no matter how hard I try, I can't find any new TP Beta info. The Beta Monsters that were posted on the front page a long time ago? Those were fantastic. Amazingly coo'. But the only other beta I can find is the early, early screenshots and trailers. Actually, even the pre-launch video and screenshots had a bit of beta. They showed a Magic Bar that never appeared in the game. I don't know, no matter how hard I try, I can't find much beta besides that that I listed above.

I exceptionally interested in TP beta because the first trailer is so different from how the actual game ended up turning out. . .

Is anyone else as interested in this kind of stuff?

Posted

Yeah, I don't see much more Beta than the one mentioned. I was a bit disappointed with the magic Bar gone...to me, that's what kinda took away that normal "Zelda" feel I get when playing Zelda games...and a few enemies never ended up being in the game. Like in one trailer, there was a whole army of moblins on horseback and on foot, and in the actual game you only fight like 7 at a time... :unsure:

Posted

I think they took away the Magic Bar for the following reasons:

It was most likely only used for the Spin Attack, and Magic Armor The Spin Attack was impossible to charge up with the Wii-mote, so they made it easier and made the armor run o rupees instead.

I wonder what the little Magic Jars would of looked like. . .

Hey, what happened to Special Arrows? I remember a Nintendo Power interview where the guys was talking about how they were working hard on making the Fire Arrows light anything wood on fire, even houses. They ended up taking the arrows out all together. Same goes for Light Arrow! You never even got to use them!

I think that TP Beta could of gotten a lot closer to beating OoT. . .

Posted

Yup...agree there. I think they focused too much on the older gamer's attention, and ended up working too hard.... :unsure:

Posted

I think that went way to far trying to make it more appealing to North American gamers. They figured they make it more like Old West meets Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars with a Zelda theme. It almost didn't even seem like a Zelda game.

If only they would of just stuck to making it fit in with the rest of the games. They tried too hard on making it better than the rest of the series. Fans didn't really want better, just new.

Than they wanted it to appeal to more noobs, so they made it easy. really, really easy. Nintendo needs to stop trying to find new fans, and make their games appealing to old fans before they lose interest. Nintendo needs a hard Zelda game.

I remember the first trailer. how different it looked. Thats the game I wanted, not the one they ended up releasing. I'd go as far as to say that the original trailer was advertizing a whole different game.

And I gotta say, switching it to Wii was a mistake. They had to change and take out so many elements just so it could be on Wii that they ruined the game. They ended up taking most of the things out of the 'Cube version too. Like the Magic Bar. I gotta say, I think it would be better, not to mention released almost a year earlier, if they never decided to port in onto the Wii.

Posted

Yeah...... Like back in 2000, when they released the GameCube, they showed loads of new graphic footage..... Among that was an amazing fight scene between Ganondorf and Link.... It was excellent. I was hoping that Twilight Princess would be a bit like that......

Anyways, they made Twilight Princess too easy. In other Zelda Games, there would be puzzles that I would be stuck on for days on end..... But with this...... It took me about an hour to complete most dungeons, if not less... Although part of what Nintendo does is for the money, I still think that it should appeal to fans who have been with the series since the beginning (or at least as young as they can remember, me being one of them...)..... Those people want to see the Timeline completed, they want the mysteries to be solved (such as the fourth piece), and most of all, they want to solve puzzles that are actually semi-complicated... It somewhat destroyed Zelda.......

But on the upside, I'm glad they aren't doing what is in my signature.... (see "Scary Zelda Thing")

Still, we missed out on a lot of great stuff..... Like the Items that Merchant mentioned.... but also Kokiri Forest..... What happened to that?!?!?!? I don't like it.......

Oh well.....

Yours Truely,

:triforce:

Mr.Triforce

Posted

That forest looked unbeleivable. Man, I'd give so much to roam around the Hyrule from the first trailer. It was so big. A field that youcouldn't see the other side of. And it wasn't covered in those wierd rock walls with trees on top that have been used since ALTTP to divide areas. TP had too much of that.

I have to admit, from the look of the first trailer, "The New Zelda Game," as it was known back than, looked like it didn't have much of a story, and was pretty much free roaming. Of course, they didn't have any story yet anyway. But I'd still choose that over TP.

It would be so great to just ride Epona from one end of that Hyrule to the other. And to make your way through that giant forest. Amazing. I can't even remember how long I would just repeatedly watch the scene where the camera was way far back and you just saw this endless field as Link rode past a large rocks. The edge of the forest was visible in the distance and there was a tower that you could barely see making its way to the horizon. And I think thats the old Death Mountain in the very back. So beautiful. Link rode past this gorgeous place on his way to wage war with an army of Bulbins. [1:06]

I've gotta say, TP did have its beautiful moments like this. Like first rafting down the Zora River and looking up at the Eldin Bridge far above you. And particularly from the beginning to the third temple.

Here it is. I looked on YouTube and found this. The breathtaking first trailer of "The New Zelda Game That Never Was.":

*Sigh.*

Posted

Here's a video that I really enjoy, and still wtch from time to time, containing old TP stuff.... :) It's a fan-made film. Notice a lot of enemies that were never seen? What happened to that Giant spider chasing you in the tunnel? How come link never dove underwater without using the Iron Boots like he did in other games?

Twilight Princess: Don't Try to Live So Wise

Posted

Thats awesome. Is anyone interested in a link to some OoT Beta Stuff? I'll see if I can find it. . .

(This is what I wish they'd release for TP. I'd like to see how drastically it changed during development.)

Crap. I can't find the old site that I used to go to. All it had was a lot of pictures. But here is this one. . .

http://zso.krahs-emag.com/beta/betaz64.html It isn't too bad.

Here is an unrelated, but interesting article on the evolution of Octoroks. ^_^

http://www.answers.com/topic/octorok

Posted

That one to the Tune of Wind is quite cool.

And I agree that Twilight Princess would have been better if it was released the year earlier, on gamecube only, and with it as the way it was in the Trailer.The game is so easy it is just sad.

Twilight Princess should have been more like Ocarina of Time; TP was made to be too realistic with the exception of the graphics. The game just isn't the best.

Posted

Hmm...sounds interesting...

COUGH ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME BETA ROM HERE COUGH COUGH RUNNABLE IN PROJECT 64 HACK COUGH LINK: ZELDA OOT BETA ROM COUUUUUUUGH

If you go to Death Mountain, you can faintly see the Goron's Ruby stuck in the ground outside Dodongo's Cavern.

Posted

Im sorry, but I think saying the wii messed it up is completely unfair, if it was a different (and possibly better) game when it was the gamecube, they would have left it how it was on the gamecube version and instead had the seperate wii version...

and the reason there's so much OoT Beta stuff is that it's been out so long, so people have ages to sift through it and find cool things...

There's probabbly plenty of good reasons that they changed it, maybe that they found that it actually got annoyng to fight in the forests because trees kept getting in the way, or the load times just ended up being stupid going into each area.

I know some of the things in the first trailer looked really cool, but I don't think there's any way to know how good they would've been and they might've ended up being rubbish, or to have them in would've changed the way the game went and it didn;t work.

Posted

Twilight Princess should have been more like Ocarina of Time; TP was made to be too realistic with the exception of the graphics. The game just isn't the best.

I actually think OoT seems more realistic. I don't know why. . .

Ang Gingerlink, the load time wouldn't be very long. All of the Fields in TP are connected by one load time, and that doesn't take very long. I figured that out while hunting Bulbins. The load time would be worth it.

Posted

its interesting to see the betas to a game and see how it was improved

Posted

Bottom Line:

If they would have waited to perfect TP it would have had all of those things included and would have been the ultimate Zelda game. I am not saying that the game is great now, but it had potential to be even better.