Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Im starting football....

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Well tryouts are starting for high school football on wednsday, and im really anxious. This is my first time trying out for a football team. Im pretty confident that i will have a good chance on getting in on one of the teams since im a huge guy. (6'4)

Can you guys give me some tips on how to calm myself down? I will really appreciate it.

Posted

whatch old movies, my fair lady, abbot and costello, things like that. it calms me down at least

Posted

beeing nervous is normal, so I really don't know what to say...

Posted

If you're ever tired,don't show it.The coaches won't want pathetic people on their team.And,also,don't mess up.I'm trying out for football when the tryouts come along this year,as well.The tryouts in my school are in May,though,so I have a long way to go.Good luck.

Posted

thank u all for these great tips. anyone else have any?

Posted

um... other than don't pee yourself, no

Posted

if your looking to calm your nerves before the game, i suggest just relaxing and listening to some chilled music

if your looking to calm your nerves during the tryout, just take deep breaths

that aside - good luck ;) big guys are generally good at football.

Posted

Well, this is what I do...:before half time shows for football games, I visualize what I'm going to do out there, so I can have an idea of what it feels. Then take deep breaths and think about other stuff that will get my mind of of what's making me nervous. This usually halps me, but I don't know if this will work for you... :P

Posted

thank you all for you awesome tips. i made the team. but im mega tired. (2 hours non stop of running) i have another problem. practice everyday from 8:30 to 1:00 (including weight lifting) any tips on how to ignore fatigue and pain? thanks in advance.

Posted

Don't cut corners. Try to outdo the rest. That always helps.

Like, I'm one of the worst "Players," on my team, but I'm defiantly one of the most fit, so I get a lot more respect. I keep up with the juniors and seniors when we jog, and I'm pretty good in drills. Especially running drills. What does this mean? It probably means I should be in track, not soccer.

Posted

Drink those 'sporting' drinks like powerade & gatorade, they really help with restoring energy.

dont go near red bull or V's. they're not good for actual energy.

Posted

thanks for that both of you. im actually feeling better now. im getting used to the running and jumping but now i need to learn the plays......

Posted

if youre reciever shake your hands every now and then so they dont get tense