Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yet Another Zelda Fan Fiction

98 posts in this topic

Posted

"The Dread-Bird". Great. =D He's all like, "TALKTALKTALK," and Link's all like, "NONONO," and Malon's all like, "Zzz."

It's good that you've been writing more often lately.

Posted

awsome, sorry i havent posted in awhile, my sister was hogging the computer :wacko:

Posted

Chapter 13: Blizzard from the Desert

Epona was very annoyed. Why do I always have to go with him to dangerous places? It's not like I'm against his adventures, but I haven't been properly groomed in ages. That's Link's problem... I'm his friend, but he never seems to realize that I'm a girl with needs too. At least his friend groomed me a bit. He even used his own comb! Too bad my tail wrecked it, I really liked the treatment, and he couldn't comb his own hair anymore. Curse these tangled tailhairs! Epona snorted, which caught Link by surprise. He patted her side and reassured her, but she only snorted again. And when have horses ever established with people that being patted reassures us? It might be just me, but it's kind of annoying! Again, she snorted. Maybe it's just because I'm upset. I wish I had someone to talk to who understands me.

Link and Epona were riding to Gerudo Valley, which was situated southwest of Hyrule Castle. The hero was still wearing his Keaton mask and his light traveling cloak, which flapped violently in the gusts of wind which were coming from Gerudo Valley. The pair crossed the hills of Hyrule Field and managed to get to the entrance to the place. Ugh! This dry climate and desert sand is going to do nothing for my hair! She was obviously a very troubled horse. Link approached the canyon where a very long drop awaited anyone who failed make it over. Dismounting Epona, he approached the canyon, looking for a place he could use his Hookshot. There was nothing. The only thing he could do was jump it like last time. Link jumped onto Epona's back once more and signaled for her to back up. Waah! Is he going to make me jump that canyon? Why don't you just get a really big log or something? Hmmmmph! "Hyaaa!" Link shouted, coaxing Epona forward. He must be insane! Why must he be so reckless!? Epona braced herself and leapt forward. Don't look down, don't look down, I'll kill you Link! Don't look down, don't look down! Link's hat was enjoying a breeze, flying wildly in the wind as they descended, landing on the other side of the Gerudo Canyon. You're lucky I've been trained well, you knucklehead!

The environment had dominantly yellow and red tinges. The rocky surrounding walls on either side of the path made the it a very closed space. The ground was parched and yellow, allowing no plant life to spring forth. Wind blew fiercely through this place.

Epona trotted with Link on her back towards Gerudo Village, full of the infamous band of thieves, the Gerudo themselves. All of them had dark skin, red hair, and extensive combat training. They were relatively normal, except through some odd path of evolution, they are all dominantly female, with the only exception being a male child born every century to lead them to prosperity. As Link approached, he saw guards in front of the entrance to the village, standing still as statues, long spears at their sides. As usual, they were wearing the Gerudo uniform for their usual grunts. Pointed tan shoes, puffy purple pants, a similar violet top, and a likewise colored veil over the nose and mouth. How would he get in unnoticed?

Link dismounted Epona and tethered her to a dead tree out of sight. Oh great, now he'll leave me out here alone again. I'm going to get thirsty! Approaching the narrow entrance to Gerudo Village, Link surveyed the guards from afar. They really were like statues... How was Link going to get past them?

~ ~ ~

The Gerudo guards watched diligently with their fierce eyes. They were not allowed to move or fidget in case they were attacked or watched. This really was a boring job. "Hey, Miku, when is our shift over?", announced the guard on the left, nothing moving except her mouth.

"C'mon, Kona, we've been over this. Three hours and we're done.", said the rightmost Gerudo, likewise unmoving.

"Well, how long has it been? I'd like a nice bath..."

"It's been four hours..."

"What!?"

"Yes, the people who were supposed to switch shifts with us haven't showed up yet. But at least we get an extra hour off next time. Besides, they'll have to make it up for it later."

"But I'm cold! I've had the urge to sneeze for half an hour already!"

"I understand, but this is our uniform and our assignment and we'll honor them proudly.", Miku said, sighing.

The two observed the path ahead of them in irritation, obviously not wanting to be there much longer. What was the point? Since when did anyone have the nerve to attack the infamous Gerudo tribe? Sand blew across the path, obscuring many things up to thirty yards. "Hey, Kona."

"Yes?", answered the sniffling Gerudo.

"Do you see something?"

Just barely within their line of vision, a cloaked silhouette dissolved into sight. The two guards instantly went into a combat stance, lowering themselves and their spears towards the unknown trespasser. "Hey! Stop!", yelled Kona. The figure still approached, in an unnerving zig-zag pattern too swift to be human. "Stop, I say! State your business!" The cloaked figure drew nearer, hovering over the ground slightly and still zigzagging. The cloak obscured its face and the wind would have blown away any sound that tried to reach their ears anyway; the wind was carrying in his direction.

Miku edged backward, lowering herself deeper into her battle pose, "If you do not stop without telling us why you are here, we'll be forced to attack you!" The zig-zagging man approached ever closer.

"Seriously!", announced Kona, "These spears are sharp! We just sharpened them this morning! Hey!" The cloaked figure was close enough to reveal an unnerving smile underneath the hood, which bespoke a childishly psychotic nature. It was a very unnatural smile. Kona frowned, obviously becoming a little frightened at the hovering being. She backed up slightly. Oh man, why does it have to be my shift when crazy people show up at our village? It's not even supposed to be my turn! Ever closer, the hovering zigzagging man drew, until finally, it was in between the two guards, trying to pass them completely into Gerudo Village. They simultaneously stopped the cloaked man by crossing their spears. Miku grabbed the cloak of the man with one hand and turned him towards her, "Listen! We don't have time for games! Tell us why you're here or we'll pummel you! Hey, are you listening to me!?" She yanked the cloak off the being, revealing something that looked like a life-sized doll. It had rosy cheeks and a slightly creepy smile. Its arms were at its sides and its eyes bespoke nothing but emptiness. Its legs were together and resting on a pedestal... And it was making a buzzing noise. Kona wore a shocked expression. "Miku... Miku!"

"What?"

"Look... Underneath its feet!"

"Hmm?"

Miku glanced under the mysterious toy's feet and saw a yellow and blue object, which bore a striking similarity to...

"It's a Bombchu!!" The rodent-like explosive did just what it was designed for. It self-destructed, which stunned both Gerudo warriors into unconsciousness. The carbon copy of Link created by the Elegy of Emptiness vanished into radiant particles of dust and the cloak was still in Miku's hand. The real hero uncurled from his rock-like appearance. Link had donned the Goron Mask, and rolled into a ball, which concealed his presence. He appeared as a large stone-- a regular part of the Gerudo's scenery. Link decided walking in sand with his new weight would be uncomfortable, so he Goron Rolled towards the two women. He picked up his cloak and rolled towards the stairs where the entrance to the Gerudo Village was. He took off the Goron Mask and placed it inside his tunic. As a Goron, heat and cold didn't matter much, but as a human, Link felt the full condition of the Gerudo's air. It was freezing! Link couldn't understand how the Gerudo could stand this kind of cold! Link took out the Goron Mask and eyed the inner part of it with discomfort. Did he really want to?

After a painful session of mind-rippingly horrible experience and defeat, Link was back to being a Goron, snug and weather-indifferent. He rolled up the stairs and ducked behind a large boulder. Link could see the blocky homes of the Gerudo and almost felt sorry for them. They wore skimpy uniforms and had to eat slop in their kitchen. There was not much comfort on a Gerudo base. They were patrolling as always, with the same purple uniform. If Link recalled correctly, if he managed to defeat and bypass all the Gerudo, he'll become an honorary thief of the tribe... It was hard to get past the guards while rolled up. Link rolled inconspicuously towards the entrance of the Gerudo's home, waiting until the guards were not looking.

"'Ey, Roho.", a guard spoke to her companion.

"Yes?"

"Look over there, at that rock."

"What about it?" Link felt a sweatdrop on his forehead.

"Well... It seems odd, right?"

"Yeah, I suppose." Link felt the intense urge to squirm violently, but quelled the feeling with all his might.

"It wasn't here a second ago, was it?"

"Come to think of it, I don't recall it being there." Link bit his lip, which was unwise, because sand got in his mouth. He really wished he had his Stone Mask.

"... Go touch it."

"No, you!"

"Well I have to patrol behind that wall and I can't be bothered by such a trivial rock!"

"Hey! It's not like you're the only one with duty!" Roho crossed her arms.

"Well, fine! Then leave it alone! But when it turns out to be a threat or something, don't say I didn't tell you to check it out!" Link squirmed slightly in suspense, but the two women were too busy arguing to notice.

"It's just a rock! And if that's the case, then why don't you check it out?"

"I have to patrol back there!"

"Then why don't you do it?"

"Fine! I will! Hmph!" She turned around, walking to her duties.

"Hmph!" Roho likewise reversed herself and paid no further attention to Link.

As Link rolled closer and closer to the dark gray blocky structures of the Gerudo's home, he sensed that many of the Gerudo had inner issues that should be helped before fighting breaks out. Link unrolled inside the tribe's building behind a large crate and looked around the hallway he occupied. There was hardly anything there. Just in case, though, Link unequipped his mask, discovering it was much warmer inside. While unlodging the Keaton mask from his tunic and putting it on, he also pulled out his bow. He had a full quiver of arrows, so quantity wouldn't be an issue... But he wasn't out to kill anyone. Link took the arrowheads off a good number of his ammunition and pocketed them in one of his satchels. Link was sitting down behind the crate to avoid detection, peeking out from the side of it. As expected, a guard turned around the corner. Link laid on his back with his head up, aiming the bow with the less-harmful arrow. When the Gerudo woman turned around, he fired the shaft at the back of her head, which knocked her unconscious. Link advanced, looking for a cell with the Zola locked up.

After eight guards and five hallways later, Link found the mess hall. It was a small room with one table and four chairs, with a cauldron at the back of the room filled with a sinister looking red liquid. Link approached the pot curiously and inhaled the scent of the concoction. Just as expected, it was nothing close to the taste of a red potion. It was worse! Link waved the smell away and was thankful he could eat regular food. Continuing on, Link did the same thing over and over. Duck behind conveniently placed crate, shoot, advance. The Gerudo didn't communicate very well. He had yet to be discovered.

Continuing on his raid of the Gerudo's base, he started to wonder exactly why it was so cold near here. What could cause such a deep freeze? He turned another corner when he heard a scream and frantic orders. "Someone's invaded our camp! I told you, Roho! What did I tell you!?"

"Shut up Anata! It was just a rock!!"

"Just go get the others!" Link scratched the back of his head in slight guilt. As he turned forward and took a step, he collided masked-face-first with the forehead of a medium-height Gerudo woman. The headbutt caught Link off guard, and the woman pulled him forward by his collar to her face. "What do you think you're doing!? Taking out all of the Gerudo like that! Why don't you mind your own business!? Ugh!" She kept her grip, but let him fall away from her face a little. The woman had short hair and a different uniform than the others. Link recalled that it was the same Gerudo who managed the Gerudo Training Ground long ago on a different plane in time. She looked nervously to the side and mumbled to herself. "Jeez, I hate locking up random people like this. We're trying to be kinder to people." She looked at Link and pulled him closer to her again, "Look, we're not bad people! I mean, sure, we're thieves, but ever since Nabooru left to become a sage, we've been honoring her honor code! We only steal from the rich who squander their money! And we have secrets here that could jeopardize our relationship with the rest of Hyrule, which look at us in distaste already!" She again let Link distance himself from her face. She mumbled off to the side again. "We have enough problems even without trying to make people think we're good, why is our tribe so unlucky? We're placed in a desert! I mean, this dry climate and sand does absolutely nothing for my hair..." Link was starting to see a pattern in Gerudo behavior. They seem very nervous lately.

The woman again pulled him closer. "What have you seen? Why are you here? What do you want?" Link started to explain, but she interrupted him. "Hold on, don't speak here! You have an unfamiliar male voice in a time of emergency! They'll hear you, then capture and jail you on the spot!" She dragged him to a closed-off room where she pinned him against the wall. "Speak now." Link explained that his Zola friend had a twin there that was captured and needed assistance. He also said that he didn't see anything, really, except for a drawer he was searching through for a key of some sort, but only found Gerudo uniforms-- "Ayee! You liar!" She slammed him against the dry stone wall. "Ugh! Men!" She let go of Link, who felt no need to be threatened at the moment, but still curled into a ball, shielding his face. The Gerudo woman rubbed her temples. "Don't worry, now... He's being sincere... Just be calm... The other girls have been noting your temper... Calm..." She sighed and grabbed Link again. "See anything else!?" Link shook his head and protested that he'd seen nothing else of interest. "Good."

She let Link go and turned around, crossing her arms. She started murmuring to herself. Link wondered if she had any sense of volume; he could hear her plain as day. Or maybe she didn't know she was speaking to herself? "Under normal circumstances, I would admire his steel and grant him membership into our tribe, even though I just manage the training grounds, but right now..." She breathed deeply. Turning around, she wore a very serious face, and pulled Link off the floor. Putting her hands on his shoulders, she spoke; "You say you came here to find your captured friend, is it?" Link nodded. "Do you consider yourself noble or daring?" Link blushed and shrugged, his eyes wandering off to the side in embarrassment. "At least you're humble. So can you keep a secret and help us out?" Link nodded, seriousness in his eyes.

"OK, please listen carefully. We have your friend. He's safe, although a bit uncomfortable. We really don't know how to keep a secret in any other way besides keeping it to ourselves, so that's what we did. Although, the Zola doesn't talk much at all; it's pretty unsettling. We fed him our food and let him sleep on our floors; he's been treated like we treat our own. Save for the shackles, but those claws look sharp and we've heard they can breath fireballs from their mouth! It's put a lot of stress on our guards!

"Anyway, the story of how the Zola got here is a very annoying one, at least, to us. About a week ago, a young lad entered the desert looking for someone. We couldn't find such a man, and told him to look elsewhere, preferably Hyrule Castle Town. We allowed him to stay awhile, because we're trying new policies of male acceptance and tolerance, but while he was there, though, a huge pulsing blue light blew a hole in one of the rocky walls in our village! Can you believe it? Just a random blue ball of light. In fact, it unearthed a a large hole leading to a cavern, which three Gerudo, including myself, decided to explore. At the bottom of it was a huge hot spring, with a beach in front of its small shore! It radiated a soft blue light and everything. Could you believe our luck? We had good water to drink and we could bathe in a relaxing hot spring! We could even possibly attract visitors to our fortress! And I've heard that burying yourself in a hot spring's sand is good for your skin..." She looked to the side with longing, taking her hands off Link's shoulders, who eyed her as a man would eye a very annoyed and possibly unstable woman.

"We didn't even really pay much mind to the huge pulsing blue sphere hovering just slightly above the spring... It gave us something we valued; who could complain or question it? But then, it pulsed really heavily while we were down there, and a fairy emerged from it! We were on the shores of a blessed fountain of water! We all gawked at it. It was very beautiful. She was blue and had really nice wings, and her hair was shiny white and well-kempt..." The Gerudo closed her eyes and almost seemed to drool a little. "I envy that hair...

"Anyway, she spoke these exact words (in a really smooth and pretty voice...). 'Oh... Oh my! What am I doing here? Where is my regular cave?' And we all just looked at her and shrugged nervously, not knowing the cause of any of this, obviously. She then said, 'Oh... Well, I'm the ice fairy. I normally have a nice chilly cave full of ice all year round, but this isn't it... It's a bit too warm for my liking... I won't make it cold here because I know how people react to the biting temperatures, but I'd really like a nice cold place. Do you know of any?' She smiled this really warm smile at us (which seems odd for an ice fairy...). The blue sphere was still behind her, though, and it ejected a very large bug, which immediately seized the fairy's head, not letting go. She screamed and screamed, and we could do nothing but stand there and ask if she needed help. We should have done something, that bug really messed her up!

"She went all crazy and her eyes weren't kind anymore I found her hair a lot less attractive... The cave started rumbling and it went cold really quick! We were all freezing in seconds! We climbed the rope back to the top of the cave and escaped. As soon as we got out, however, a very cold wind started blasting out of the opening, which was also very dry, so my hair still suffers... It was really cold as the wind erupted from the source. We've heard reports that it's much less worse in regions other than this one, but we were almost frostbitten in minutes. All the Gerudo in the village crowded into the fortress, but the young man that visited us went outside to see what was happening. Unfortunately, the fairy was outside the cave waiting, and she turned him into two Zolas! It was really freaky, and I didn't see much of it because looking out of the holes we have as windows were still very chilly to be around...

"The Zola you are referring to ran oddly in confusion, as he did not apparently know how to use his lungs properly, only his gills. He ran towards the Gerudo River, which leads to Lake Hylia, and dove in. We tried to restrain him, telling him that he could breath above the water, but the Gerudo who was holding his right arm tripped and accidentally threw him in to correct herself. If anyone saw, then it would be very incriminating..."

Link sat down cross-legged in front of her in the same way he did with Kaepora Gaebora except he wasn't bored out of his mind; now here's some information that he didn't know.

"The other Zola stayed behind... He doesn't seem very intelligent. We've been detaining him without problems. But here's why we haven't looked for help... See, a long time ago, we were trying to make up with the denizens of Hyrule by creating a modified version of our freezing chest traps. We significantly powered them down and made them convenient for storage, so people could use them to cool down their homes during warm seasons. While we were crossing the bridge, though, the weight of the shipments caused the bridge to start breaking. On top of that, the chests had all malfunctioned and turned on with much more force than even the original freezing trap. They all fell into the Gerudo River and washed downstream to Lake Hylia. We had full knowledge of the water ducts connecting the Lake with Zora's Domain, and when we heard that the domain had frozen without clear knowledge of the cause, we were panicked. We kept it a closely guarded secret. If anyone knew this freezing climate was because of us, then they'd connect the Zora incident to us and they'd never learn to trust us! It's a horrible tragedy we've had to endure. We haven't been in Hyrule Castle Town in ages, except to steal funds from the undeserving. And we can't just casually walk in anymore! I mean, even Gerudo want a boyfriend now and then..."

Link stood up, brushing off his knees, and told her that he'd solve the problem of the fairy for her. "Really? You can do that? And if you die, you guarantee the secret dies with you?" Link nodded. He'd aid her in any way possible in return for his companion's double. "Excellent! You promise that you'll return?" Link nodded once more, but the woman seemed skeptical. "Give me something important for me to hold onto, so that I will guarantee your return." Link was taken aback; what would he have to give her? The woman's eyes wandered to his weapon. "Hmm... You seem very adept at using a bow. How about that, then?" He looked at the bow, remembering how many times it had saved him from destruction. Indeed, it was a very important tool, and it would be troublesome to adventure without it. He handed it over with an indignant look on his face. "Good. Now right this way, please."

~ ~ ~

Epona was still tethered to the tree, blinking frequently because of the sand and wind, shaking her tail just as much. Come on, Link! I could really use a bath...

~Chapter End~

Posted

cool :D

Posted

You know, you're lucky this forum isn't strict like some of the ones I've been to. =(

One-worded answers without explanation of why they are so is against the rules in those.

Be grateful and try to describe why you think what you do.

Sahaqie.

Posted

Chapter 14: Frozen Fairy and the Chilling Eye

Epona was starting to feel a breeze, and shivered slightly. Oh, come on! It's cold enough already! I'd like my nice stables back! The sun was starting to descend past the horizon, illuminating the Gerudo Valley in a very beautiful way. The stone walls glowed red-hot, and the sands were turning a most deep shade of orange. The sky bled forth an interesting tinge of ruby, and Epona quelled her annoyance a little while to watch the scenery. The dying tree she was tethered to also seemed to stop stirring in the wind as if to say, "See? life isn't so bad". Epona's eyes sparkled. She snorted. Ahh... If I ever loved one thing about these dangerous ventures of his, it's things like this.

Link, now bowless, had just come back from the Gerudo Fortress, where he had to apologize to all the Gerudo and serve guard duty for seven and a half hours. Link did two shifts and took the penalty of one hour for the Gerudo that were supposed to take the place of Miku and Kona. Indeed, it was a very trying and boring task. But he'd fulfilled the request completely because the guards were also watching him, just in case he decided to play the Elegy of Emptiness to skip his duties. Although, they expressed jealousy of the ability to make a statuesque self-replacement. During his half-hour break, he was tasked with eating in the mess hall where the Gerudo took their breaks, most of the time. However, Link also had to ingest the grotesque red concoction as well. It turned out the Gerudo made it from Leevers, and it was full of proteins and other nutrients to make them fit warriors. It didn't taste awful, but the smell was killing him. When his odd half-choking fit subsided, he questioned if all the Gerudo patrolled like this, 24/7. It turns out, half the Gerudo ever really patrolled, and the rest normally stood in line to practice archery on horseback or something similar. Others took relaxing baths in their living quarters. They had their hobbies, too.

The bright side of all this was that the Zola had been obtained and was now following Link obediently, eyes unblinking, gills flapping slightly every few seconds or so. Link eyed the mysterious creature. Zolas really appeared much different than Zoras. They had fringed white necks and fierce, unfriendly eyes. Their black heads had two white ear-like fins and their mouths seemed a little swollen. Could it be from the heat of their own accursed fireballs?

Link was twisting to and fro, trying to relieve the stiffness of guard duty, and approached Epona. She snorted and whinnied slightly. Perfect timing as always, Link. Now I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the sunset. Link patted Epona's saddle, which this time, actually soothed her slightly. He looked at the sky and the rocky path's luminescence. Smoothing out his hat from under his cloak, he stroked Epona's shoulder and asked her if they could just sit back and relax to watch the sunset for awhile. The noble horse almost seemed to be nodding its head in agreement, and backed up to get a better view of the sunset as Link untethered her. Link himself just sat down with his back to a nearby rock. As the sun went down, Link almost started to snooze, gazing at the peaceful scenery. Link's head fell back, though, and he jolted awake.

Upon hitting his head on the sand, he glimpsed a pattern on the rock he was situated on. It was familiar. The intricately carved lines in the sunset burned bright red in an unnatural manner, as if responding to it. Three triangles observing the eye under it, that had an iris that burned brighter in the twilit sun than the rest of the pattern, which bled a single tear, leading into the arcing mouth, angled up in a smirk. The rest of the rock was light gray. There was no mistaking what the rock was, now. It was a Gossip Stone. But Link had never seen a Gossip Stone in this part of the landscape. When did it get there? Getting up and brushing himself off, Link searched his tunic for the tool he needed to extract a secret from the mysterious stone. The stones apparently had excellent hearing, and overhead interesting things and recorded them in its memory. Or maybe it read minds?

Link found the mask he needed. It had the same pattern of the Gossip Stone, except the eye pattern was without exception, always red. The mask was white with a yellow iris that seemed to have the glow of a curious person's eyes. Taking off the Keaton Mask and putting the Mask of Truth on his face, Link looked through the transparent yellow of the eye. He placed his hand on the Gossip Stone's eye and it responded accordingly. It spoke in an airy mysterious manner. "To know who you are, you must know who your enemy is. Tell me, courageous Hero of these lands. What is it you fight against? Why do you fight them?" Link discarded the question, even though his mind flashed to Zelda, Malon, the Zola, and every kind and good person he'd met in his life. He queried when and why the stone got here. "Ah, my boy, that is exactly it. You know my kind. We are Gossip Stones, and will always be here when there is sweet knowledge to be obtained. If you weren't protected from my gaze, I would have extracted just who you think you fight for." Link's expression under the mask was of irritation. What exactly was protecting him? He asked the Stone what information it yielded. "I know many things, Hero. For one, I know a youth came in here not too long ago. This one walked in the same gait as yourself. You two are very similar, give or take a few years." Link tensed. "My brothers and sisters tell me you might very well know this person. In fact, many of them are dead certain of it. Tell me, coveted Hero, who might this person be?" The Stone seemed to be playing with him. None of the other Stones were so mouthy.

Link thought through a list of people it might be, knowing that he was trying to guess who the Zola was. It's not like Link hadn't though of it before. Who would he know that could take him Epona? The only people that fit that requirement lived in Termina. Could it be Romani? She and Malon should be about the same age, now... That could be why the Zola panicked whenever it was in her presence. Perhaps being a Zola makes you sound more masculine? Romani's good at fooling people. She could have ditched her odd speech pattern. Link's eyes wandered to the Zola behind him. It certainly didn't look like anyone he'd known. It opened its mouth and closed it again, making odd slurping noises. Link viewed this with slight confusion and turned back to the Gossip Stone. "Hehehe... Figured it out yet? It looks like you're onto something..." Link thought this comment was very suspicious. He settled on the Romani theory. He decided not to ask if this was right.

Link and the Gossip Stone stared at each other unblinkingly for minutes. The sun was going down and the Zola breathed in and out in an unnerving manner. "So, Hero. Let me ask you again. Who do you fight for?" Link scowled and kicked the Stone in agitation. "Now, now. It's rude to kick stones." Link scowled a bit deeper and turned around, walking towards Epona. The sun had finally disappeared beyond the scalding horizon. "Oh, and Hero." Link turned his head while mounting Epona. "Don't swing your sword at the obvious." The Gossip Stone was silent, with Link staring at it for a few minuscule seconds. Without warning, the Stone let out a cackle as it beeped, blinking a bright red. Link's eyes widened. He grabbed the Zola by the hand, pulled him onto Epona's saddle, and turned Epona around with a commanding shout. The horse did as commanded, and braced herself. She'd heard and understood every word made by the sinister Gossip Stone. She didn't trust this sudden action either. As the Stone continued cackling and beeping and blinking red, Link's ears were ringing. He looked back. The Stone was blinking ever faster, taking an abnormally long time to detonate. Upon looking into the Gerudo Fortress' entrance path, he saw the malevolent cackling had forced many Gerudo to light lanterns in their window as they were jarred from sleep.

Epona didn't take time to wonder why Link was hesitating. She ran to the beginning of the entrance path, turned sharply, and ran full speed towards the canyon. Jumping, she let out a very loud thought and a whinny. Seriously, Link, I'm going to kill you!

While airborne over the canyon, he gripped the uncaring Zola with one hand and wrapped the other arm around Epona. Beneath the whinnying of his horse, the insane Gossip Stone's laughter, and the flapping of his cloak in the wind, he could hear a death threat aimed at him. He would have assumed it was the psychotic Gossip Stone if it didn't sound a lot like a girl. Link assumed it was a memory of Tatl being played back in his mind during this dire situation. As soon as Link and Epona, joined by their amphibious guest, got out of the moonlit Gerudo Valley, they heard the echoing of mad laughter before they saw a huge burning red cloud of debris and sand which exploded from the space they were previously occupying ten seconds before. The blast's force made Link cover his ears and Epona rear on her hind legs. The wind was carrying in their direction, slightly east, as it had been since that afternoon, and they were showered with millions of grains of sand and the echoing of one defective Gossip Stone. Epona closed her eyes in agitation. This is doing nothing for my hair!

Link would have heard Epona's dilemma if he weren't absorbed in thought. He looked back at the cloud, eyes protected by the eye in his mask. He wondered why the Stone acted so abnormally and if the Gerudo would think they did it. Why would they blow up an unimportant part of their canyon? Link's queries were almost immediately answered as he heard incredibly loud thuds and splashes that shook the ground during the shower of sand. Link's eyes widened further. That explosion was stronger than it looked-- and that was saying something! The Gerudo Canyon's river would have immense boulders in it and the exit would be even harder to pass through. He'd have a lot of explaining to do. The laughter of the Gossip Stone died long after its owner, fading only after all the sand had settled. It seemed the awful thuds of the collapsing west side of the canyon stopped for a little bit, but as soon as Link got comfortable, a thud that overshadowed even the previous crashes of rocks engulfed his hearing. Epona sulked slightly, mourning the loss of her dying tree friend, which had kept her company for eight hours. Idiot...

~ ~ ~

The Gerudo were in a panic, some of them leaving their sleep, carrying their lanterns and spears outside wearing nightgowns and sloppily applied uniforms. The Gerudo Training Grounds guardswoman was ordering everyone to their positions as the fortress leader applied similar directions, wearing her leopard spotted two-piece uniform over her nightgown, hair in a very sloppy ponytail. "To your defensive posts! Kona! Yaru! Investigate the explosion! Archers! Get to higher ground and await your orders!" Kona rubbed her temples, wearing a pink bathrobe over her hastily thrown-on uniform, clutching a spear halfheartedly. Again, I'm ordered to investigate the weird stuff! What is it with these people? The Gerudo collectively watched the billowing cloud of smoke and debris blowing eastward. The Training Grounds instructor continuously barked orders, "Do not reveal your position or presence until we hear from Kona and Yaru! If they aren't back in ten minutes, then the Green section shall advance forward with caution! That is all!" The Gerudo with a similar uniform to the Head Gerudo, with the exception of its green color, nodded, holding two curved bucklers.

~ ~ ~

Link waited, listening to the mayhem of the Gerudo, thinking about what to do. Should he go back and explain that it wasn't his fault? Link patted Epona, still wearing the Mask of Truth, and dismounted her, instructing her to not go anywhere. Epona sat still, not complaining a bit. The Zola on her back was licking his lips and his eyes of the offending sand with his long tongue.

Link put his Mask of Truth back in his pocket, equipping the familiar Keaton Mask as he ran as fast as he could to the canyon edge, all the while hearing, "Show yourself!" being brought to his ears by the ever fiercer wind. Link waved his arms to the Gerudo, shouting words of apology and explanation, but the Gerudo couldn't hear him over the wind. He heard them, though, their voices almost amplified in the howling wind, which was starting to chill him to the bone. "You! Did you betray us and prevent our exit!?" Link shook his head vigorously, still shouting that it wasn't his fault. The Gerudo didn't appear to be getting Link's message. "We don't know what you're saying! You didn't do it?" Link nodded his head this time, pointing to a boulder that sat next to him, trying to get them to see it was a Gossip Stone. Kona frowned. "Yaru... What is he doing?"

"Pointing to a rock."

"I thought so."

"HEY! Is what caused this still around?", Kona shouted.

Link shook his head from across the canyon. Kona sighed and rubbed her eyes with her free hand, other hand still aiming the spear in Link's direction. "Okay, but how are we going to fix this?" The platform that once lead to the entrance to the Gerudo Fortress was half gone. Link couldn't see the damage to the Gerudo Canyon's river, as it was too dark, so the damage was vague. Link gestured a "Halt!" to them, as if to say, "Wait here!" Once the message was confirmed with an "Okay! We expect your return!... Or else!", Link dashed back to Epona, mounted her, and took off towards Hyrule Castle.

Since it was night, Stalchildren awoke from their slumber, enearthing their skeletal bodies at every corner. Epona plowed through them, pushed onward by Link's frantic yells. In half an hour of mad galloping, they finally made it to the drawbridge of Hyrule Castle Town. It was up, though, to prevent nocturnal enemies like invaders or Stalchildren. Link halted Epona, who was foaming. The Zola was just sitting on Epona's back, breathing in his unnerving fashion. Link tensed as he saw the closed bridge. What could he do? Stalchildren started to emerge from the ground rapidly, cornering them with their glowing red eyes and toothy grins. Epona squirmed uncomfortably. Do something, Link! Link's mind was racing. What could he do? Link eyed their grins with nervousness. He couldn't possibly take them all. There were almost a hundred coming their way. The small army of skeletal offenders reached their short arms out, ready to damage Link in their twisted fun. Were they laughing at him? Laughing...

Link's eyes widened as the answer came to him.

Link entered the cursed house seven years ago... It was astoundingly creepy. The house's only occupiers were many Golden Skulltulas and a host of laughing Stalchildren, who didn't care at all if Link cut them down. The whole scene was mocking him in its supernatural oddity. All they did was laugh, all day, without exception. They sat on book shelves and laughed. They never attacked Link, which almost made them more disturbing...

He inserted a hand into his tunic, trying to make out which mask he was in desperate need of. The Stalchildren were within ten meters of Link and company when Link finally dropped his Keaton Mask into his tunic and donned the Captain's Hat, a skeletal memento of the previous Captain. The Stalchildren collectively stopped moving with their mouths agape. Suddenly, their fixed mouths seemed to stop smirking at them. They all straightened up and saluted Link. "Welcome back, Captain! We weren't expecting you! May we be of assistance?" Link nodded and ordered them to make a chain of themselves over the moat, then make a ladder of themselves over the castle walls. "Yes sir!" The mass of bone constructed an entrance over the gate in under fifteen seconds, and Link was satisfied, a bit impressed with the monsters. He walked over them, careful to avoid stepping on their faces, and climbed the literally monstrous ladder. Link, now on top of the castle wall, shouted down to the guard supervising the bridge to let it down. Link's face was familiar in the torchlight, but what was that bone-chilling hat of his? The guard nervously complied, striking the pavement with his spear, which seemed to be the universal signal for, "Let them through!"

The guard's hearing was visited immediately by a series of splashes followed by distinct, "Gack!" noises. When the gate was fully open, the guard noticed many unnerving things. There was an army of monsters at the bridge. Link grabbed onto the chain of the descending bridge and hopped off near the end of his ride. What was more unnerving about the monsters was how Link ordered them around. He heard Link issue an order to stay on standby until the next time he ordered them to arise, which meant they would be in the ground until the next time he needed them. The collective group of Stalchildren saluted him, "Yes sir!" They spun into the ground simultaneously, and Link mounted Epona. The guard was heavily confused, scratching his head under his helmet. Is that a Zola on his horse? Indeed, Link rode through town sporting a monster on his horse, which was licking its eyes with an indifferent expression. The guard's demeanor went from stiff and attentive to slackjawed and disbelieving. Link shook his hand, and thanked him. Upon letting go, the guard's arm went limp. As Link rode towards Hyrule Castle, the Zola repositioned itself on the horse to observe the guard. It stuck its long tongue out at him, still without expression, and the guard seemed to give up. He called for the bridge to be pulled up and he lied down, falling asleep.

~Chapter End~

Posted

You know, you're lucky this forum isn't strict like some of the ones I've been to. =(

One-worded answers without explanation of why they are so is against the rules in those.

Be grateful and try to describe why you think what you do.

Sahaqie.

ok ill try to put more words in my answers :thumbup:

Posted

As a side note, thank you, G333 and RL for being my two viewers. =)

I'll write more once Ganny returns.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Here I am. :o

I like the bits from Epona's view; I've always enjoyed seeing what other people(/horses) think about the main character or the events taking place, especially if it's a negative point of view like some of Epona's up there. =P

Posted

As a side note, thank you, G333 and RL for being my two viewers. =)

I'll write more once Ganny returns.

Sahaqiel

your welcome :biggrin:

Posted

Chapter 15: A Sinister Spring

Epona galloped through Hyrule Castle Town in the dark of the newborn night. She carried two passengers, this time, Link and a Zola. Epona didn't let the weight of the Zola impede her as she feverishly rushed through the streets. Arriving in the square, she jumped over the fountain, making a beeline for the Castle gate. Link was holding the wrist of the inexplicably content Zola behind him, all the while maintaining a hold on Epona's neck so he didn't fall off. When the guard watching over the gate was in sight, Link let out a warning yell to open the gates. The guard was startled, jumping slightly, and quickly opened the barrier. Link was starting to think something was wrong; was the Gossip Stone trying to kill Link? No, it seemed to be trying to inconvenience him. Or maybe it was trying to inconvenience the Gerudo... Link's eyelids were reaching their limit. What will happen to the Gerudo?

Epona quickly halted at the front door of the castle, making Link and the Zola jump off from the sudden stop. The castle was guarded by several soldiers that recognized Link. They were, however, suspicious of why he was in such a hurry. Epona breathed in a deep breath. I'd say I made pretty good time, there. Link ran through the hallways to the Zola's room, the odd twin in hand. Link finally found the old door. He tried the doorknob; it was locked. The Zola in Link's possession seemed to be less airheaded. It looked around and seemed to be thinking, its nostrils flaring every now and again. Link knocked on the door, trying to wait patiently. Stirring was heard on the other side of the worn wood. The door opened slightly and a glinting eye appeared behind the eyehole of a mask. It seemed to widen as it saw its guests. The door closed for a few seconds and reopened, revealing the Zola whose duplicate stood next to Link. He spoke in his slithering voice.

"Ah, you have retrieved him! Excellent! I am very grateful for this!" The Zola embraced Link, patting him on the back. Link was uncomfortable with the hug, but he somehow found it very familiar. Which was likely because he probably was friends with this person sometime or another. Link still couldn't really decide who it might be. Though he could see Romani in his mind dressing as a man and looking for him, (after all, Zelda did something similar) he couldn't see her being weirded out by a duplicate of herself. Romani would probably think it was cool.

The Zola walked to his counterpart slowly, still dressed in a cloak and the Kafei Mask. He examined the creature, who had once again descended into his state of empty-headedness. The cloaked Zola put his scaly hands to his chin and poked the opposite monster's cheek.

"So... How does this work?" Link was also expecting something a bit more interesting than the newly gained ally's odd breathing pattern again. The Zola looked Link in the eye. Link saw his glinting inhuman eyes behind the mask.

"So I'm assuming you know what happened to me, right?" Link nodded. "So why won't I change back? Hmm..."

He turned around and started contemplating. Eventually the Zola turned around and started poking and prodding his doppelganger. Exhausting every possible way to combine, he eventually gave up. "Don't tell me... We have to go back and ask the fairy?" Link eased his pose a little and put his forehead in his hands. Oh well. He'd eventually have to face the fairy anyway. Why did it have to be tonight? Link gestured for them to follow him. They obliged.

"Sorry for the unfortunate turn of events. I thought I'd just be back to normal like that." He made something that seemed to be a feeble attempt at a snap of the fingers, diluted and defeated by the unfortunate state he was in.

Each of them walked out of the front doors of the great Hyrule Castle, and the guards indeed beheld a very odd sight. Followed by the coveted hero of Hyrule was a cloaked man, and an oblivious non-hostile Zola. What's more odd is how each one of them mounted Epona. Epona snorted under the weight. Argh! I'm too tired to do this! Epona tilted her head down and Link patted her side. She refused to move. He jumped off Epona's back and searched his tunic. He grabbed a bottle of milk. Crossing his fingers, hoping it wasn't intoxicating, he offered it to Epona. He really should have labeled them... Epona sniffed the bottle and shifted, licking it. Link opened her mouth with one hand and poured the drink down her throat. Ah! That's much better! Epona had fire in her eyes. Her very breath seemed to be radiating energy. Link patted her jaw a couple times and smiled underneath his mask. The pair of Zolas merely spectated the event.

As Link mounted Epona, the guards got used to the oddity and merely stood alert as always. With a commanding shout, Link lead Epona out of Hyrule Castle's borders.

~ ~ ~

As Link and company arrived in Gerudo Valley, they noticed that the Gerudo Fortress was well lit and armed with what seemed to be the whole Gerudo race. There were ten women gathered on the other side of the canyon, each wielding spears that glinted in the moonlight. The Zora eyed the canyon's damage. "Woah, what happened here?" Link told him the story of the Gossip Stone and its cryptic advice. "Don't swing your sword at the obvious?" The Zola folded his arms in front of his chest and seemed to be trying to think. "I guess we'll know when we get there." When they reached the edge of the canyon, Link hopped off Epona and waved his arms at the Gerudo guards at the other side. They waved back, and the leader of the group tried communicating.

"How will you get over? We can't find anything that might help!" Link had thought of this, and judging by the damage caused, it would be impossible for Epona to jump. What other way was there? There obviously wasn't anything to use his Hookshot on; it didn't extend that far. In his contemplation, he was startled when the scaly hand of his ally touched his shoulder.

"Link, look. There's a tree over there. It's dying, but half its roots are exposed!" Link strained his eyes in the dark environment. Very faintly he could see the silhouette of the dying tree that he'd tethered his horse to. Epona likewise searched for it, and was very relieved to see it was intact even after the blast.

"You can't see it as clear as I can, but that thing's roots reach all the way down the canyon!" Link didn't get what he was saying. A thought came to his mind and his hand went into a satchel on his belt. Link withdrew four large nuts about the size of shooter marbles. Deku Nuts flashed with incredibly intense brightness when thrown, if just for a split second. Link chucked one at the opposite wall, and it collided with the rocky canyon. For a brief moment, he saw what he could possibly describe as one of the most deceiving trees in history. The dying tree definitely wasn't water depraved. Embedded and overhanging the rocky canyon were the roots of the impostor, which were large, long, and full of life. The roots dipped well past the river, which was now flowing over the many boulders and debris of the night's latest incident. The largest roots were the width of one of his arms, yet the tree itself was only about the size of his body, sporting leaves that combined, didn't seem to match the surface area of a small Gel.

"Argh! Link, that really messed me up! I couldn't move or think; it really hurt my eyes!" The Zola on Epona's back even gave a reaction, covering its head with its arms, hissing slightly. Link apologized and told them to wait there.

The young Hylian again scoured his tunic for a valuable item... He withdrew the Zora Mask. Link looked to his Zola friend and turned around. He took the Keaton Mask off. He had both hands on the Zora Mask, and, taking a deep breath, placed it on his face. His vision failed; odd series of events and confused sounds engulfed him.

I couldn't save them... The eggs fell into their hands... What could I do? What happens to me now? Will I lie in this foul water forever? Peace, Gods, please. I don't deserve it live if I can't protect them...

The Zola with enough intelligence to know what was going on looked in horror at his companion. Link was writhing in pain, trying with difficulty just to stand up properly, all to keep a mask on his face. Not understanding what was going on, he dashed to the pained man.

"Link! Link, say something! Link, what's happening!?"

He was being pushed onto shore by an unknown youth. As he reached dry sand, he tried to walk forward, refusing to be defeated, but collapsed on his face. He turned around and looked the concerned youth in the eye. He could tell Courage burned in his soul. Now was his chance to give a last request. Standing up and taking his guitar out, he sang a lengthy song, explaining the severity of the events that were occurring. In the end, he sang his final words;

"Oh, somebody, somebody, please heal my soul."

"Link! Hey! Snap out of it!"

The youth looked at him, this helpless loser of a Zora, and offered comfort in the form of a song. Its mysterious tunes gripped something in his heart and seemed to switch something on. He knew he couldn't go on any longer. Why not enjoy a bit of music during his last living moments? He fell into a deep soothing state. Before he accepted defeat, he saw himself with his band; his family.

"Hey! Link! Can you hear me!?" The Zola gripped Link by the shoulders and turned him around. What he saw shocked him. The man in front of him had become blue. His arms grew fins, his hat became part of his body, and his eyes had become blank and dark. The Zola leapt back in confusion, but turning Link around knocked the hero off balance. He tripped on his cloak and fell into the canyon.

The Gerudo witnessed this event, and even though they didn't know what was going on, they all aimed their spears at the Zola, in throwing position. A guard edged forward, "Why'd you do that!?"

"I didn't mean to!"

Zora Link was now in freefall towards the Gerudo River. The frame-racking pain had subsided and he could grab hold of the situation. He unfolded the fins of his arms to right himself in midair, angled down in a perfect nosedive. The water approached, and Link slid under its surface, angling his fins perfectly without facing harm. He swam to the top of the water and waved a scaly hand upward, yelling a confirmation he was fine.

The Zola looked down at the water and pointed, "See, he's all right!"

The Gerudo warriors lowered their spears. "You're lucky he didn't break something."

Epona turned to the Zola and hooved at the ground. Those masks were given to him by defeated souls. They allow him to use their being to achieve his means. He looked at Epona in confusion.

Link looked around, trying to find where the vines were. Swimming forward, his foot touched what felt like a boulder. Standing up on the rock mass, the amphibious hero felt his way around the dark canyon. At last a fin brushed against a fibrous tentacle, and he grabbed hold. On second thought, Link first took off the mask; the Gerudo weren't used to him as a fish. To his dismay, he found the soggy cloak much more noticeable. After wringing his cloak out, he proceeded up the steep wall, climbing along the hardy roots. When he reached the top he was greeted with the end of a spear, which just as quickly receded.

"Oh, sorry. Um. Welcome back." A hand reached out for him, which Link grabbed. The Gerudo woman pulled Link off the edge of the cliff into a standing position on solid ground. They were stronger than he'd expected. As Link brushed himself off and wrung out his cloak, the Zolas on the opposite edge accompanied by Epona were waiting. The Zola waved and shouted to him.

"Hey! Warn me next time before you start having a mental breakdown!"

Link flashed a thumbs-up at him and turned to the Gerudo group's leader, explaining that the two monsters would not merge into a single being.

"Ah, yes, that would be problematic indeed. Which would mean you'd have to defeat the Ice Fairy, correct?" Link nodded. "Well, let me take you to her."

The Gerudo grouped around Link and lead him to the Fortress, where the Training Grounds Instructor awaited him.

"You very well may need this. Good luck." Handing Link his bow and quiver, she made eye contact with him and patted his shoulder. "We're waiting on standby outside the entrance if you need any help." Nodding, the hero walked to the specified entrance they spoke of. It was in a rocky wall near the entrance to the Desert of Illusions. There, on the floor of the hollow stone room, was a hole descending into unknown depths. A soft blue light escaped the gap in the rocks. Link walked forward, questioning how he'd get down there, but his soggy cloak wrapped around his leg and tripped him. The Gerudo gasped as he fell head-first into the hole, and each tried to grab him before he fell. They all missed him, however, owing to the fact that ten people tried to occupy the same space at the same time, which caused many bumping of heads and many angry sentences to be born.

Link, however, was experiencing a somewhat more pleasant experience. He wasn't expecting the hole to be like the ones that rocks concealed. He floated slowly to the ground in a wide beam of light. Near the end of his descent, he'd almost completed righted himself, sitting in a somewhat cradled position, when the light dropped him on his backside. Link rolled over, trying to alleviate the pain in his behind. Voices called from above.

"Link! Are you all right?" The hero's pain could only allow him to yell a feeble confirmation.

As the aching youth stood up, he beheld a very beautiful sight. He was standing on a fine sand. It wasn't desert sand; it behaved like sand located on beaches. The surrounding cave was illuminated by a wondrous spring that glowed a mystifying sky blue. The smell of fresh fruit lingered in the air, stopping only to tease Link's nose. There wasn't a fairy anywhere, however, and he was starting to get suspicious. Link advanced, observing the spring at the back of the cave. Water trickled playfully through cracks in the walls, feeding the pool of water. It was likewise fed by an unknown source seemingly coming from even further underground; water spread outwards away from the center.

The translucent blue waters entranced Link. The spring seemed to be tempting him. Go on,, the spring said to him, Splash around a bit... The hero's face was glazed over in a wanting expression. His clothes were soaked. The urge was strong, but it seemed to be interfered with. The urge swooped in and out of Link's mind haphazardly, as if it couldn't get through to him. Just the odd sense of being urged to do something on and off was enough to raise suspicions. Link threw away the idea of bathing in the spring, instead choosing to sit down in the sand and wring out his cloak a bit more.

A rumbling sound awakened from the walls of the cavern. The tremor seemed to reach above ground as well, as the Gerudo's orders and speech had become frantic outside.

"Link! Are you OK down there? Respond immediately!" Link shouted back another confirmation, but the rumbling progressed further, gaining power. "LINK! Do you need help? What's happening down there!?" At the end of her words, something sounded like it was breaking. The Gerudo's yells were a sign they were running away. The entrance hollow had caved in, blocking out the beam of light that meant his exit. Eyes wide, Link stood and drew the Great Fairy's Sword, similarly equipping his Mirror Shield, facing the spring. The waters started to rise and become restless, waving up and down.

In the center of the spring was a hazy image, as if something was submerged there. The silhouette rose higher and higher, until it blasted up from the depths, spraying water everywhere as she spun to a stop. Link looked on in fascination, despite being annoyed at his newly wet cloak. In front of him was a beautiful fairy making a flashy intro, spreading her four transparent wings. She had delicate blue skin with bright white hair that went down to her knees, with a nicely proportioned face and a brilliant opal dress. She would have been quite the lovely sight to behold if there wasn't an abnormally large insect gripping the back of her head. The fairy lifted her eyelids, which revealed large eyes with blue irises. However magnificent she looked, her gaze was as chilled as ice. In her left hand she wielded a fearsome looking blue staff with a large translucent blue orb at the top.

The fairy cackled in a high pitched voice that sounded like it might have been soothing at one point. She folded her arms and crossed her legs in midair, and made eye contact.

"Well hello there, famed hero! I'm the ice fairy. You look familiar! I can't say that about many people, either!" Link scowled and raised his shield. "I would've finished you off, but for some reason, you're protected from the allure of my hot spring! Now why would that be, I wonder?" She winked one eye at him and flipped upside-down, matching eyes with Link. "You should really take a dip, though. You look cold." The orb at the head of the fairy's staff suddenly illuminated, casting a great blue light. The spring immediately turned into solid ice. The fairy started cackling again, holding her sides from the pain of her laughter. "I wish you would have jumped in! I'd hang the look on your face right on my wall!"

At this point, Link wondered why he always attracted the presence of insane women...

~Chapter End~

Posted

Chapter 16: The Fairy's Flight

The demented fairy sat upside down, holding her wicked ice rod, laughing uncontrollably. Her twisted laughter echoed in the softly lit cave, while pounding could be heard on the caved in exit, muffled voices filtering through.

"LINK!? LINK, ARE YOU ALL RIGHT!?", the Gerudo screamed. Link had been eying the fairy in something close to fear, his blue eyes open in shock at this woman's dementia. What will she do? How does she fight? The man in green stood low to the ground before the insane sprite, holding the Great Fairy's Sword in one hand and the Mirror Shield in the other. In the soft blue light, the Fairy continued to laugh, raising a finger to the reflective shield and the purple and green armament.

"Hero, you really do astound! That sword! It's of fairy design! Where did you get it? And that shield! Its face is priceless, like it's being tortured! I can see myself in it!" The fairy righted herself in midair, light blue legs crossed, the fearsome rod clutched in one of her hands. She smirked tauntingly at Link, whose mind was racing. Would the Mirror Shield be enough to keep her Ice Rod at bay?

"Ah, Hero, Hero, Hero..." She folded her arms and shook her head. "Such a feeble defense. Do you think that will aid you, Hero!?" The fairy stood in midair, legs apart, rod pointing right at Link. He tensed and raised his shield, teeth clenched as he braced himself.

The ghastly blue orb atop the rod shone brilliantly, and sent a sparkling mass of energy at Link. The phantasmagorical shot collided heavily with Link's shield. It knocked the young man on his back hard, the rod's offensive strike bouncing off his mortified shield. The magical attack shot straight back at the one who issued it. The Ice Fairy grinned and brushed away the attack with the air that she felt it were dust on her dress.

"Do you really think that ice will work against me, boy? This fairy lives in ice!" The fairy cackled again as Link's head spun. He saw double of her and his temples were throbbing painfully. The fairy stopped cackling to float to Link's location, wearing a childishly delighted face.

"I'm going to play with you a bit. You're kinda' cute." Her sparkling teeth were bared in the most sinister smile he'd seen any female wear. But what's with her? The fairy picked the struggling hero up by his sword hand's wrist with one hand. Link's head was limp, falling forward. The Ice Fairy lifted Link higher, trying to get him to make eye contact. She lifted his Keaton Mask.

As Link was being examined, he noted several things about the mad fairy. For one, she had very soft hands. She was indeed just as pretty up close, despite being insane, and the huge insect clinging to her head was nauseating. Link held down the bile to examine the light brown creature. It was firmly latched onto her head, and it had six disgusting legs. The large abdomen bulged slightly every few seconds. The entire insect was about the size of a small pumpkin. It was obvious that it was causing the fairy's strange behavior, which is why he could not harm the winged woman. The insect squirmed slightly. Link had been through a lot, though. He couldn't throw up at something this trivial. He'd eaten Anju's cooking before. Link grinned and laughed softly. The fairy put on a bemused expression, "Hmm? What's so funny?" The fairy looked at Link's face and shrugged, proceeding to throw Link lightly off to the side, which wasn't exactly light for most people. He shot across the cave and hit the side wall with a thud. Link's body was racked with pain. His breathing was shallow, and he could barely see straight. His attacker appeared double, and Link was reminded of the Zola who he may just value as an old friend.

The Ice Fairy again assumed her cross-legged position, casually picking something out of her fingernails.

"You know, you're a bit boring. Here I am, looking at a man who seems to familiar, but he can't even get up after such minor playful acts." Link sat on the ground, looking at the sandy floor of the cave, weakly depositing the Keaton Mask in his tunic. "Oy! Do something! I need some entertainment once in awhile! It's boring being stuck in a cave all day." The aching hero reached into his tunic, using up some of his vital energy. He withdrew a bottle of milk and crossed his fingers. Link thrust the bottle forward, facing the fairy with one eye closed in pain; his Terminan, "Bottom's up!" sign. The Ice Fairy raised an eyebrow, putting on an interested face. Link unstopped the bottle with his thumb and chugged the drink down. The hero hoped the milk would not intoxicate him. But he only had a one in three chance. Would this help? The drink took effect immediately, and Link felt energized in more ways than one. His vision became more fuzzy, though, and he felt exceedingly dizzy. The cave seemed to be sailing rough seas. He'd picked the wrong bottle.

Link stood up, swaying back and forth. He tried to uncross his eyes and lowered into combative stance with some difficulty. The Ice Fairy cackled hard, holding her sides in pain.

"You-you're drunk! Y-you can't even hold up y-your sword! Ahahaha!" Link slapped both sides of his face with his hands, trying to snap out of it. It was either this or the Fierce Deity's mask, and that was a definite no. The hero avoided that mask unless totally necessary. Link's vision started to heal, and he lunged at the fairy, who lazily swung the Ice Rod at Link, knocking him back ten yards. The youth rolled upon hitting the ground and stood up. He's wasn't going to get close any time soon. In his milk-induced adrenaline rush, he drew he bow and aimed an arrow at the Ice Fairy. With a determined expression, he almost fired it before he realized that the arrow had a deadly head on it.

Cursing himself, he put away the arrow, trying to extract arrows without their heads.

"Are you going to shoot me, Hero? I thought you protected innocents! How dare you point an arrow to this woman!" So it was the bug. "No matter!" She twirled the ice rod like a baton and swung forward, launching another menacing missile. Link was still fumbling with his equipment; he barely had enough time to raise his shield. The blast knocked him back less than before as he braced himself. The chilling projectile made a noise like glass shards being rained onto a window as it bounced off the shield and flew through the air, freezing a patch of the cavern's ceiling. At last, Link withdrew a harmless wooden arrow. Nocking it, he aimed at the Ice Fairy. What good would it do? The Fairy released a chilling laugh as it pointed to Link holding his bow.

"Deciding to go in the pacifist's way, hmm?" Link scowled and fired the arrow, which was brushed away by the Fairy's bare hand.

"First you try to freeze an ice fairy and now you're firing pieces of wood at one? What's next, Hero? Will you pour water over my head?" Link might have guessed the fairy was out of breath as she decided to merely smirk at him. She had very good teeth.

Link nocked another arrow and tried to think. The milk was rushing through his veins, very similar to the effects of milk from Termina. Link's eyes widened; it was Terminan milk!

"The Rupee inflation is starting to agitate Hyrule's economy and everything, but then this strange cow wandered into our ranch right after you left it! It produced this intoxicating milk, which we sold in our caf

Posted

Keep going. Good stuff. For the love of Santa, don't give up.

Posted

Hmm, who brought my rating down? Seems someone went around rating my fiction low.

(I suppose it's because of my various criticism. Very low of you. Please have the decency to explain why you think my fiction is bad or do not bother to rate it.)

Anyways, just want to say I've revamped chapters 1 through 6 and that the new chapter will be up shortly.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Hmm, who brought my rating down? Seems someone went around rating my fiction low.

(I suppose it's because of my various criticism. Very low of you. Please have the decency to explain why you think my fiction is bad or do not bother to rate it.)

Anyways, just want to say I've revamped chapters 1 through 6 and that the new chapter will be up shortly.

Sahaqiel

i dident rate it low thats for sure