Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stupid Virtual Console

16 posts in this topic

Posted

This is infuriating, and I'm sure there are quite a few people who feel the way I do:

Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Super Mario 64 from the Virtual console at 15 Australian Dollars, in the game synopsis it said it could be controlled by either the Classic or Gamecube controllers. I started playing it shortly after; and as soon as I open it from the Wii's Main screen what should appear, but a message at the top of the screen saying "You need a classic controller to play". Even though it said you could use GC controllers. So now I can't get mario to backflip because of the lack of two 'Z' buttons.

Now, a couple of days ago I, stupidly, downloaded another N64 game; this time Lylat Wars. I opened the game, and I got the same message: "You need a classic controller to play". Basically I can play the game, but only along a single-path. Usually there are some forks in your path, so you can have different levels to choose from. So I've been screwed again, I can't play the entire game; I have to miss 2/3rds of the levels.

The reason I'm so annoyed is that Nintendo blatantly advertised both in its press conferences and on the download screen, that you could play every VC game with the Gamecube controller. They managed to do this with Ocarina of Time on GC, but now you need two 'Z' buttons to play the game on the Virtual Console version. I don't know why they did this, maybe just to sell more Classic Controllers.

I just feel really ripped off, because now I have two games I cannot complete, and it's all due to an extra button on a controller I shouldn't have to buy. I just think Nintendo should stop saying the games are compatible if they aren't.

Thankyou.

Posted

yep, I kinda feel the same way. A few days ago, I downloaded Super Mario World. I plug in the GC controller and it says that you need he Classic Controller. And I just ignore it because it said you can use the GC controller. I look in the Operation Manual, and it only tells you what buttons to use on the Classic Controller.

WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?!?!?!?!?!? *sigh*

Maybe I will report to Nintendo via the Customer Support Section of their website. At least i can use the Wii-mote for Excitebike.

Posted

gamecube controllers work fine, the n64 controller didn't have two z buttons, so i don't know what you're on about, but I know from mario kart 64 on the VC that Z is mapped to the y and x buttons on the gamecube controller.

The gamecube controller works fine on anything (although it's a bit more awkward than the classic controller for SNES games) it's just sometimes it requires a bit more experimenting, although the SNES controls seem to be mapped fine a for a, b for b, x for x, y for y, L and R...

Posted

Gingerlink, I mean that the Classic Controller has 2 'Z' Buttons; and for some reason in both games I've downloaded the buttons have been mapped so that you can't use the GC controller. To change paths in Lylat Wars you use the Left and Right Z Buttons for their respective directions. In Super Mario 64 you can't use the GC's Z button, you need the CC's Z button. Stupidly though you can use either of the CC's Z buttons, and the Z button while playing with a GC controller is useless. So it's heavily biased for the Classic controller.

I'm getting really tired of the words Controller and button now. :D

Posted

oooooo

try L and R then in lylat wars

ummm, for super mario 64, the Z button is there to make him crouch, i don't see what the problem is

Posted

Long jump is done by crouch + Jump.

Posted

I just beat Mario 64 using a GC controller on VC... I don't understand what your problem is.

Posted

back flip is crouch and jump, long jump is run, crouch, jump

Posted

LttP is pretty hard with a Gamecube controller too.

Posted

wow u beat mario 64 ive got like 96 or something like that stairs ive had it since i was 7

Posted

I got all the stars!!

Posted

me too! :joy:

Posted

:joy:

Posted

i downloaded starfox (lylat wars) and used the game cube controller and it worked fine. it always says you will need the classic controller. i have also gotten all the levels

Posted

Okay, I was wrong, in Mario 64 the L, R and Z buttons do nothing, Mario doesn't even crouch.

In Lylat wars the L and R buttons only shift your view, zoom I think, of the 3d map. It doesn't switch levels.