Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wii Technical Specification

18 posts in this topic

Posted

:blink:

Posted

[quote name='gingerlink' post='5585' date='Aug 1 2006, 01:19 PM']I don't think I've really ever seen A batterys, let alone used them....[/quote]
same here

Posted

Hello, I don't agree with these Specification specially the CPU. We know the Wii is cheap but that doesn't mean its
going to have a CPU like the Old XBOX 1. For example if you purchased a Pentium 4 a few years ago and it was a 2Ghz speed with that same price you can get a much faster Core2 Duo family CPU today.

I have seen a lot of websites quoting this 729MHZ CPU speed probably because it comes from the same source.
But they come to this conclusion because on the Wii's IBM Broadway CPU "BWYC-72914" is etched. So they take 729
and tell people that this is the clock speed of the CPU.

If that was the case then it should be 73GHz because it says BWYC-72914 on the chip this is very foolish.

The point is that the Wii is a single core system and the PS3 and XBOX360 are multi-core CPU systems and
thats why Nintendo aren't telling us the true Spec. But people can't say that its speed is like that of XBOX1 or Gamecube
because the Wii is far more superior then those old systems, and I am sure in the future it will compete against the XBOX-360

My friend is a computer technician and engineer and he hooked up a device that tells him clock speeds he showed
me a Pentium 4 CPU running at 3GHz and his digital Meter device showed 2.99Ghz. (I don't know the name of it)

After that he took apart his Wii and hooked up his Meter close to the CPU of the Wii and when he turned it on the
reading was 2.0 to 3.0GHZ it was bouncing but when you ran a game it stayed close to 2.7GHZ. The device looked similar to a Oscilloscope. I am not a expert so I dont know what points on the Wii's motherboard he used but I saw the results with my eyes.

Another point to make is that the XBOX 1 and the GameCube used a 0.18 micron technology but the Wii uses a 90 nm SOI technology (90 billionths of a meter). The size of the poly-silicon gate in the microprocessor This feature size has a direct correlation to the speed and power requirements of the microprocessor. As feature sizes are reduced, the process speed (MHz/GHz) increases while the power requirements decrease correspondingly.

XBOX1/Gamecube = 0.18 Wii= 0.09 Micron /90nm. The smaller the better.

Don't forget that the Wii plays Gamecube games too and that needs power. Have a look at the XBOX 360's backward compatibility errors and you will know what I am talking about. It needs CPU power and Wii does it perfect.

So, with that said I would just add there is a lot of people out there that hate the Wii and are trying to make it look bad
so don't believe everything negative you read about the Wii.

Wii for life.

Bye for now. :biggrin: