Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AU Princess Zelda.

11 posts in this topic

Posted

This is Princess Zelda as she appears in my current Zelda fanfiction, A World of Lies (click the banner in my signature to read).

In AWoL, Zelda reprises her role as Hyrule's beloved princess and the sole heir to the throne of the Hylian Royal Family. However, AWoL is set in present-day Hyrule. That posed the biggest difficulty with designing Zelda: how to make a princess who has been stuck in a medieval setting for twenty years look modern.

Every Zelda game, Zelda has appeared in a dress that was very decorative, very over the top and very formal. However, I didn't think I could do that with AWoL's Princess Zelda because it's set AU. So what I did was create a more modern dress fitting of a princess.It's very simplistic, but at the same time formal and decorated in Hylian livery.

Zelda in AWoL is twenty-four. Because she's rather old, I didn't want a dress that was frilly and gaudy. So I designed her outfit so that it exposes her arms, with slits on the skirt that went mid-thigh, and the skirt itself goes down a little past the knees. It's revealing in its own right, but keeps her modest for some rather obvious reasons.

As for keeping the dress faithful to the Zelda canon, it has all that you'd expect from a Zelda dress in the video games, just in a modern (and more revealing) outfit. The Triforce, the Hylian Falcon, and the Crest of the Sheikah have been moved from the skirt to the front of the top. Hylian inscriptions have been embroidered into the hemlines and the sleeves of the top. And of course, the ever present Triforce earrings on Zelda's ears. The only things missing are her gloves, golden armor, and a tiara on her forehead.

The hair has that kind of style I'd expect a Zelda from the 21st century to sport. It's long and brown-blonde, bangs running down both sides of her face, and it's tied back in a loose ponytail. It gives her a sophisticated look for a princess, but at the same time it's casual so you don't take her royal position too seriously. She may be royalty, but she's still a normal girl.

This was my first actual stab at coloring one of my drawings. Her color scheme is almost but not quite as subdued as her Brawl counterpart. Her hair is light brown with faint streaks of blonde (a la Twilight Princess). The dress is supposed to be pale pink, but is a little too much in my opinion. She's also a lot more tan than any of her other incarnations (I'm personally tired of seeing a rather pale Zelda).

The Hylian inscriptions on the seams of the top are actually Katakana (in my present-day Hyrule, Hylian=Japanese). On her left sleeve it reads (from left to right) "Din" and "Nayru". On the hem is (from left to right) my first name, my last name, Link, and Zelda. Every name is separated by small dots.

Posted

I want that dress...does it come in red? I love her new look!

Posted

whoa my cousin looks like that in a dress i saw her in

Posted

Sounds cool! And Zelda looks like she's wearing a dress which Sakura wore in Naruto (I think). I dont watch the show, but I think I saw Sakura wearing a dress like that when I was flipping through channels.

I too want that dress.

Posted

Why does it look like she's in shock?

Posted

I want that dress...does it come in red? I love her new look!

Read this excerpt from the beginning of chapter four... How funny it was that you asked, though. :embarrassed:

Zelda greeted me at the front door, to see her in her usual everyday royal outfit, only in a neutral cream color. Damn, how many colors does that thing come in, anyway?

“You look nice, Link,” Zelda tells me as we walk side by side towards the grand spiraling staircase in front of the front doors.

I’m dressed in my black slacks and a black tucked in dress shirt with the long sleeves rolled up. Clipped onto my pants are black suspenders.

“Thanks,” I smile softly, pushing up my small rectangular eyeglasses. “You’re looking pretty nice yourself… I have to ask Zelda, just how many colors does that dress come in?”

She smiles softly as we reach the middle of the large atrium and turn to the right. “Name a color.”

I chuckle at her answer. “I don’t know… Green.”

“Lime, olive, jade, emerald, aquamarine and chartreuse.”

My eyes widen slightly at her quick answer. “…Red.”

“Crimson, red-orange, blood red, scarlet, maroon and burgundy.”

A smile creeps on my lips. “Purple.”

“Violet, indigo, mauve, lilac, and lavender.”

I raise an eyebrow, folding my arms over my chest. “…Brown.”

She opens her mouth, but stops before a sound comes out. She rubs her chin softly before saying with a sheepish smile, “…I have mahogany…”

whoa my cousin looks like that in a dress i saw her in

Sounds cool! And Zelda looks like she's wearing a dress which Sakura wore in Naruto (I think). I dont watch the show, but I think I saw Sakura wearing a dress like that when I was flipping through channels.

I too want that dress.

To Fox Boy and Saria_Kokiri, it's based off the national dress of China, the qipao (also cheong-sam). The one I designed for Zelda is slightly modified in that it's a two piece, while the traditional qipao is a full dress (though the two-piece variation is also popular these days), Zelda's slits go much higher (to the upper-thighs, while it normally doesn't go any higher than the mid-upper leg) and the skirt is also a little shorter (visible by the rough sketch I did). And yeah, the outfit Sakura wears in Naruto is similar to a qipao. Ada Wong from Resident Evil also wears a heavily modified version of the dress, though hers is much more revealing than Zelda's.

My friend actually cosplayed at Comic-Con as my AU Zelda. Everyone was complimenting the dress and "Oh my God, are you supposed to be like a modern Zelda!?" and when they asked who designed the dress or who came up with the character design, I kept walking up and going, "AHEM..." and pointing to myself. I thought that was pretty cool.

Try Google Imaging "qipao" and "cheong-sam".

Posted

Cool. Well done. :thumbup:

Posted

Read this excerpt from the beginning of chapter four... How funny it was that you asked, though. :embarrassed:

To Fox Boy and Saria_Kokiri, it's based off the national dress of China, the qipao (also cheong-sam). The one I designed for Zelda is slightly modified in that it's a two piece, while the traditional qipao is a full dress (though the two-piece variation is also popular these days), Zelda's slits go much higher (to the upper-thighs, while it normally doesn't go any higher than the mid-upper leg) and the skirt is also a little shorter (visible by the rough sketch I did). And yeah, the outfit Sakura wears in Naruto is similar to a qipao. Ada Wong from Resident Evil also wears a heavily modified version of the dress, though hers is much more revealing than Zelda's.

My friend actually cosplayed at Comic-Con as my AU Zelda. Everyone was complimenting the dress and "Oh my God, are you supposed to be like a modern Zelda!?" and when they asked who designed the dress or who came up with the character design, I kept walking up and going, "AHEM..." and pointing to myself. I thought that was pretty cool.

Try Google Imaging "qipao" and "cheong-sam".

LOl! But, I have that type of dress, I love it! I don't have Zelda's though. I'll take one in scarlet!

Posted

this is the pictures

post-3826-1196309228_thumb.jpg

post-3826-1196309252_thumb.jpg

Posted

this is the pictures

Yes, mine is Red with gold designs and has no sleeves, like Zelda's.

Posted

I didn't really pictrure a modern Zelda like that, but It's still a good picture. Nice job! :biggrin: