Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

24 posts in this topic

Posted

why is you personal picture called avatar on all sites? I thought an avatar was a god coming down in human form o.O

Posted

Now that you mention it, I have no idea... :huh:

Posted

why is you personal picture called avatar on all sites? I thought an avatar was a god coming down in human form o.O

Nah thats just from the cartoon show, 'Avatar; The Last Airbender'. Soem random guy just decided to create the word Avatar and place it alongside icon for the same meaning. I see no point to it really, but meh.

Posted

Nah thats just from the cartoon show, 'Avatar; The Last Airbender'. Soem random guy just decided to create the word Avatar and place it alongside icon for the same meaning. I see no point to it really, but meh.

I like that show. It's awesome it's actiony like. Don't quote me on my grammar there I just said that to make a point.

Posted

Actually, "Avatars" are from real mythology. (I'm not sure where its from, but I think it might be Norse) An Avatar is pretty much a god in another form, sorta represents the god. So our avatars are represenatations of ourselves. (Am I making any sense? lol.)

Posted

Avatar is a real name. As arcanelord said, it's some kind of an repesentation of a god, very much like for example Jesus.

Posted

Avatar is a real name. As arcanelord said, it's some kind of an repesentation of a god, very much like for example Jesus.

Ohh... ok well I guess the japanese got the title for the show, 'Avatar' by using that mythology then. My bad. :embarrassed: And don't worry Arcanelord, you're making perfect sense.

Posted

Ohh... ok well I guess the japanese got the title for the show, 'Avatar' by using that mythology then. My bad. :embarrassed: And don't worry Arcanelord, you're making perfect sense.

this should probably be in the open floor section.

Posted

Exactly what saria said "Meh"

Posted

An avatar is actually of Indian origin (By which I mean Asian-Indian and not Native-American).

It is the physical manifestation of a god or goddess in human or animal form. For example, Buddha is classed as the avatar of Vishnu.

And by the way, Avatar: The last Airbender (or the Legend of Aang) is actually produced in the US. It just incorporates elements of an anime, which is why it is often just classed as one.

Posted

An avatar is actually of Indian origin (By which I mean Asian-Indian and not Native-American).

It is the physical manifestation of a god or goddess in human or animal form. For example, Buddha is classed as the avatar of Vishnu.

correct me if I'm wrong but I think Buddha is in Buddhism and Vishnu in Hinduism.

Posted

correct me if I'm wrong but I think Buddha is in Buddhism and Vishnu in Hinduism.

i was just about to say tht myself

vishnu is the god of destruction in hinduism.

Posted

I know that, but the term Buddha is actually of Sanskrit origins.

It means "The enlightened one" and is a title given to a BC Indian teacher, upon whom Buddhism is based.

And Vishnu is actually the God of Preservation or the Supreme God in Hinduism.

He had, I think, 10 avatars: One was a fish, a turtle, a boar, a man-lion type thing, a dwarf priest, etc.

Posted

you obviously know a lot more about religions from south-east Asia then me so I'm just going to shut up now :P

But no one has answered my question yet, does anyone really know?

Posted

I think that Avatars are named so because it is an image that you associate with an anonymous entity.

Say for example you are scrolling down through posts;

You see a boy and a dog sitting on a weird running table- must be Crusnik.