debate over zora to rito evoloution

100 posts in this topic

Posted

Not saying this is an end-all, but here's a little quote from Eiji Aonuma

"They establish that the forms that were the Zora race that appeared in

Posted

I don't remember exactly who stated this, but someone said something about the Zora evolving to Rito as a result of environment change (raging floodwaters impossible to swim/survive in, etc.)

I got to thinking; could the evolution from Zora to Rito have been a defense mechanism, if i can call it that, for the Zoras? With all the predators in the Great Sea (the gigantic squids come to mind), and all those pirates sailing around the waters, it wouldn't be safe for Zoras to make the Great Sea their home. And now with PH in the mix, you see Travelers looking for rare treasures like the Zora Scale; could it be possible that the Zoras evolved to Ritos to stay above all the dangers of the sea? So they wouldn't be preyed upon or hunted into extinction by pirates or those who would want to get rich by selling their scales? Just a thought I had...

Posted

After all the evidence i belive it now

Posted (edited)

I like to theorize as the Rito actually being the Shiekah and Zora in a concept composite race, but still very independant. The bloodline the two sages share can easily refer to a spiritual bloodline, which chosen sages share: note how the Rito are humans who go through a ritual to recieve wings.

They share features of both: the wings and white feathers/hair on their head can be supplemented for fins, and their eyes have that characteristic red color.

They have a monarchy like the Zora.

Like the Shiekah, they perform a vital service to the Hylian's and their decendants, spies and couriers respectively (can be very similar). Also, note how they serve as protectors to the protagonists in both, and as advisors to Link on his quest.

It is doubtful that they have evolved in only a couple hundred years (even a thousand would be outrageous), but there is so much more to it than 'this evolved into that'; it can take away the mystery to be constantly looking for answers in the real world to questions raised in a fantasy world. That was not why Miyamotao created Link's Legend, and not true to his vision of a fantasy world. One man's opinion

If the Zora can evolve, as many would believe, into Rito in 200 years, then the Ococco could evolve in less time (seeing as how they are an avian/human cross species already). The torrent unleashed from the heavens mayhave made living in realatively unprotected housing most obnoxious, so they left for the safety of Death Mountain's caverns.

Edited by Morihaus Man Bull (see edit history)

Posted

note how the Rito are humans who go through a ritual to recieve wings.

If they are humans before they receive wings, then why do they have beaks...?

Posted

Ya are the bird-human beak-freaks

Posted (edited)

I feel like such an idiot, it is likely so will you.

We have seen for ourselves that magic and mystery of ritual, not evolution, is the answer.

Prince Komali will be my case in point: Komali has no beak, Komali has no wings, and Komali has hair (brown and white) before the ritual.

After the ritual: his nose has been reshaped, the nostrils have moved from the bottom to the sides, and it has changed color slightly.

ALL the Rito still have lips, the lips are not replaced by a beak, only the nose changed. We also have cases of many non Rito having different colored noses (the sail salesman has a red nose), so that is no indication that they are non human.

His matted white and brown hair has changed into solid white down/hair.

Finally, they have their wings. Most important is this, for the Zora would have to have evolved. in 200 years, into humans then into bird-men.

The ritual gives them all of these features. If you don't believe, play WW as I did up to the point of meating Komali in his room. What I speak of is from WW. It is not conjecture to say that they are human.

It was never, nor is any longer, feasable to suggest that the Zora had evolved in 200 years. It was either MAGIC, or the Rito Tribe were always human to begin with, and I submit they were always human.

I submit that they are the unknowing decendants of the Hylians, or more specifically the Sheikah tribe, as their pointed ears attest.

It is not impossible to say they are the decendants of Impa, either. However, what cannot be disputed is that they are human, and that MAGIC, not evolution, is what give them wings, a nose-beak, and pure white down/hair.

Please read my previous post to get the whole picture, they have many things other than hair and eye color in common with the lost Sheikah.

Medli was the spiritual decendant of the sage, and if the Zora are dead/gone, what else could she be?

If the Rito are human, as the game proves to the observer, then the only way they can be related by a true bloodline is if the Zora used magic to become human, and to then become bird-men.

That does not seem to be the case, and has no grounding in Zelda, just as the evolution theory didn't.

Indeed, whoever thought of it completely shoved WW's own story to the side out of convienience for his/her theory, which is totally wrong.

Any questions which were not answered within the text, you can feel free to ask me. It is game proven, that the Rito are human, and it is game proven that a mere 200 years passed between WW and OoT. Of that 200 years, the Zora would only have a short while to evolve before their food source died. Evolution did not occur here.

Posted

That makes sense. I wonder what the ritual is like.

Posted

I have one comment. THE ZORA ARE A HYLIAN RACE! They apear in many Zelda games that take place in regions other than hyrule because they have ventured to other lands as well as one alternate universe, the land known as Termina.

Posted (edited)

They must scale the mountain, then Valoo gives them a scale of his.

Posted (edited)

I have one comment. THE ZORA ARE A HYLIAN RACE! They apear in many Zelda games that take place in regions other than hyrule because they have ventured to other lands as well as one alternate universe, the land known as Termina.

Hylian is a name given to only one people in Zelda, the Hylians. The Zora are an independant race just as the Goron are, and just as the Gerudo are. There are also two white, human models in Zelda: one with pointed ears, and one with 'normal' ears.

Sorry for the double post, I didn't see link959's reply.

Posted

God damn it. I never thought this through until after I voted. I thought you meant Ruto. puppy.

Posted

Zoras can fly? damn,where have I been? jk

Posted

You guys obviously don't know the basics of evolution and logic.

I feel enlightened, let me tell you.

Evolution: Zoras could not have changed into a completely different species with no corrolation AT ALL within the time limit set (200/100 years,6/7 generations at maximum). Evolution takes place within thousands upon thousands of generations, each with slight genetic variations(due to natural circumstances, choice etc), not hundreds, obviously. Also, Zoras would not even need to go to the mountain tops. They live under water

To escape foes, what foes? They live under water. "HURR HURR BUT DEY NEED 2 ESCAP TEH BIGGER FOEZ" that also, is evolution, I doubt floods would cause the 'foes' to enlarge and make them better and more worthy ones at an exceptional speed to the Zoras. You can point to all the evidence you want but that doesn't prove a species evolved into an entire other species over the course of a night(a comparison, a metaphor to express the quickness that is 200 years compared to the evolution process.), even if they did evolve at that rate. They most likely would evolve into something water based SEEING AS THEY ARE AMPHIBIANS and yes, Sea water is salt water. They would adapt. There are already salt-water Zoras so it doesn't really matter, we can assume that Zoras can live both in fresh water and salt water. Yes yes, I know Medli is related to the Zora sage and the Rito have Nayru's symbol as their insignia, I'm not saying they aren't but you can forget about them being only 7 generations down the line.

Flood: I doubt that a constant torrential rainfall would take 200 years to build up to 100% planet coverage(mountain tops sparsely populating the place and then you have corrosion) even if it did, what's to stop corrosion? You guys aren't taking in the basics of geography into account and you aren't taking the fact that regardless of the reality of the Triforce, there is still religious practice involved(prayer). The fact that everyone was told to go up to the mountaintops was due to a realisation of a person. Not a message from a god, however you could argue that a divine voice(and the Hylians can hear divine voices) told them to go. Which is a perfectly reasonable interpretation, as the gods phsyically exist.(triforce or otherwise).

A cross-breed between Zoras and Sheikahs would result in, well, half half-humanoid fish people, half people with red eyes as the dominant trait.

Posted

That made ALOT of sense!