Mysteries of Sheik-Male or Female???

191 posts in this topic

Posted

The eyebrows! Why does no one ever mention the eyebrows?! It explains it all. They are clearly manly-man eyebrows, thus negating any and all evidence that Sheik could possibly be a female! Now agree or I shall unleash a raging torrent of crude epithets that will make your great-great-great-grandmother turn in her grave!

Posted

I can't resist but join...

I believe Sheik's a female on 3 reasons:

1) I don't think Nintendo would risk placing transvestites in a rated E game.

2)Shiek is a disguise. (like Joan of Ark used) Reasons Ruto referred to Sheik as male is because well... I don't know... a disguise?

3)I know people don't use Super Smash Bros. as a reference, but I just have to ask why not? True it has nothing to do with OoT, but isn't it still the same company? I would think that if anyone knows for sure, it would be the creators. So why would they contradict themselves making Sheik a male, when it says in Smash, female.

Those are just my views and I know people are going to find faults in it. But, I don't care

Posted

The eyebrows! Why does no one ever mention the eyebrows?! It explains it all. They are clearly manly-man eyebrows, thus negating any and all evidence that Sheik could possibly be a female! Now agree or I shall unleash a raging torrent of crude epithets that will make your great-great-great-grandmother turn in her grave!

Brown pencil anyone? Jeez people color-in eyebrows all the time

Posted

I can't resist but join...

I believe Sheik's a female on 3 reasons:

1) I don't think Nintendo would risk placing transvestites in a rated E game.

2)Shiek is a disguise. (like Joan of Ark used) Reasons Ruto referred to Sheik as male is because well... I don't know... a disguise?

3)I know people don't use Super Smash Bros. as a reference, but I just have to ask why not? True it has nothing to do with OoT, but isn't it still the same company? I would think that if anyone knows for sure, it would be the creators. So why would they contradict themselves making Sheik a male, when it says in Smash, female.

Those are just my views and I know people are going to find faults in it. But, I don't care

1) You don't know what Nintendo would risk doing. Some people think Majora's Mask contains phallic objects. Also, using magic to change your gender ≠ surgical (permanent) sex change.

2) We're all aware Sheik is a disguise. Saying that doesn't change anything, Sheik could very well still be a male.

3) The Manga, Smash Bros, Soul Caliber, the CD-i games, and whatever else Link stars in are not canon to the Legend of Zelda story/timeline. Only Nintendo-made Legend of Zelda games are canon. And who's to say the creator of Sheik had anything to do with Smash Bros at all? Plus, Sheik from Smash Bros. Melee resembles a man. Only in Brawl does Sheik appear like a woman, and Brawl isn't canon and neither is Melee.

From Melee:

Sheik_SSBM.jpg

Tell me this doesn't resemble a man. If you didn't have preconceived notions, you would think this was a man. But, again, using Melee isn't canon; I'm just showing you that even Smash Bros makes him resemble a man.

From Ocarina of Time:

sheik.jpg

Besides the face, Sheik resembles a male in every way. Body structure, stature, etc. If that's a female, I'm a female too.

The only time Sheik is ever portrayed as a female is in Brawl, and brawl isn't canon. Just for the sake of it, though, I will post that picture:

sheik3.jpg

As anyone can clearly see, this Sheik is much more feminine. Body structure (boobs, wide hips), Stature is very feminine-like, etc. This is a very big contrast from the last two Sheiks. If Sheik were to be in Twilight Princess, I think Sheik would be a she. As for Ocarina of Time, Sheik is too masculine to be a she, so I would definitely think he was a he.

Posted

HOWEVER HOW MUCH FANGIRLS WANT IT TO BE TRUE SORRY BUT FROM THE FATHER OF NINTENDO SHIEK IS A GIRL-cut and paste times 1000

Posted

Considering this is the same company that called Birdo a he I'm not sure how much evidence there is. 2, the eybrows mean nothing. 3, long hair. 4, it doesn't matter how broad Sheik's chest is because she's wearing body armor. I personally believe Sheik is sexless. In the Japanese version they could have very well used a neutral pronoun. However as you know the english language doesn't have neutral pronouns for people. But the mind inside makes me think female.

Posted

What's female??

It's unmale, dummy.

Posted

For me, Sheik's gender to be male doesn't have to conflict with Zelda sex being female.

There are only two sexes. And gender and sex are the same thing.

I have been taught that gender and sex are not the same thing. People exchanging them and using them as synonyms because they are similar is a different story.

Sex is what you are born. Your sex is determined by the reproductive organs you had when you were born. Zelda is a Woman.

Gender is the set of ideas, habits and characteristics that embodies the "femenine" or "masculine" expectations and traditions from society. Gender is the reason you believe someone is being effeminate or tomboy.

In that sense I agree with the point that Sheik sex is female, as it is Zelda all this time.

Sheik's gender? Depends...

We all know by now Sheik is not so much a character as it is a disguise. Big surprise. Here your answer depends on how much weight do you give to the alter-ego version.

Zelda wanted to pass out as a boy, in that sense I believe she intended the gender of her disguise to be of the male sex. Regardless her own sex, regardless if she used magic or simply was very good to recreate the Male figure with cloths and skill... The 'Alterego' in itself was meant to be that of a guy.

Not all people that think Sheik is Male, is believing that Zelda actually changes sex into a male separate entity. Yeah, some do, but others are simply defending the clear notion taht in its moment the character idea was supposed to be that of a male, and in that sense (and at least for me in that sense only) Sheik is a male. because of ooT I am more used to refer to the character as "him".

About the Smash franchise I am glad enough they still tried to keep the manly attributes of the gender as close as possible to OoT in accordance to the design of the game they were taken from and I don't find it that weird at all they through the instruction Brooklet use the word "her" while explaining the 'Sheik' mode. Just like we by now are discussing this taking for granted people KNOW by now Sheik is Zelda, they have no problems referring to Zelda's sex in both instances. Calling Sheik a "he" while you are using a Female character would bring more confusion as people would indeed start speculating if a real change of sex takes place when you press B-Down and whether Sheik is a disguise or a different entity living within her. Though this still didn't stop the fans to make theories.

Now for the Brawl, Sheik exists only to keep TP-Zelda set people are used to and keep her balanced, but there is not really the need to complicate things by making the character too manly. I think they just decided to make it as ambiguous as possible while keeping the TP touch.

TL;DR

Nintendo has been clear that Zelda is still a woman even when using a Sheik disguise if you are willing to take the Smash evidence.

However Zelda intended the disguise to be of a man, so in a way you can say that (OoT) Sheik gender is male. Sheik gender doesn't change the fact that Zelda is a woman.

Posted

does sheik feel like theyre more like a man or a woman? thats what matters thar.

tbh, though, i thought it was just crossdressing till someone brought up changing sexes with magic, and then i was a whole nother ballpark there. im gonna have to side with "biologically male" if were busting magic in on this one. as far as gender, id say "confused" as what is probably a cis-gendered woman in a male body would kainda screw someone up. i say this, as shes not born a man, wanting to be a woman, but born a woman, and temporarily turned into a man probably before puberty, at which point shes basically gonna be lost, having been forced into a trans-gendered body.

im only really using "she" since i know deep down its the princess, and all i can see looking at shiek is "zeldazeldazelda" whether the body is biologically male or not.

I have been taught that gender and sex are not the same thing. People exchanging them and using them as synonyms because they are similar is a different story.

in quickly, this is what the majority of the gender thread was, except with me and cas yelling this initially and etc etc etc. LLs making a joke.....i think.

Posted

This wiki I'm looking at tells me there was a big reveal. I also previously thought there was a big reveal. Whut.

Posted

ugh this all depends how you wanna see it:

If SHEIK alone is being considered than you can say it is male because Sheik is Zelda disguised as a male so tehrefore technically you can argue that Sheik is male

but

Zelda is disguized as Sheik and Zelda is female, so therefore Sheik would be female

And also if Miyamoto says Sheik is male in convo it would be because of not giving away important story plot information