Favorite books (Yes, you heard me)

239 posts in this topic

Posted

my favorite book is The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein

Posted

Kindling by Mick Farren, and Cold Mountain by Charles Fraizer

Posted

Eion colfer books, they are just so awesome.

Posted

House of Leaves, an interesting book that inspired Silent Hill, another great videogame series.

It is about a family that moves into a new house, but suddenly strange things happen in it. A little room appears between two other rooms. The house somehow stretches, but only inside. The most peculiar find is a closet door, with a window besides it. If you look out the window, you can only see the backyard. Open the door, and a whole new world is open. Beyond the door stretches a shifting labyrinth, with only darkness to be seen, and a monstrous growl to be heard.

The book itself is very interesting. There are pages where only one word is written, and some others where the letters are upside down. A very interesting book, I would recommend reading it.

Wow. That's pretty interesting. The Silent Hill series is one of my favorite video game series.

As far as what I'm reading, I'm currently reading "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe." One of my all time favorite books that I've already read quite a few times and now I'm doing a report on C.S. Lewis in my Brit. Lit. Class. I still have to read the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia because I haven't yet....

Posted

hmm..me too...but I have yet to read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe..I need to get started on it..I once picked up the book..but set it back down after one or two pages...don't ask..I was distracted with something else....

hmm..C.S.Lewis..that sounds soooooooo familiar. I jst can't place my tongue where I've heard tht name before..?

Posted

hmm..me too...but I have yet to read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe..I need to get started on it..I once picked up the book..but set it back down after one or two pages...don't ask..I was distracted with something else....

hmm..C.S.Lewis..that sounds soooooooo familiar. I jst can't place my tongue where I've heard tht name before..?

Rofl - C.S. Lewis, the author of The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe.

And yes, as LemonManX stated, Homer's Oddessy is also an excellent book thats worth a read, as is the Illiad.

Posted

Rofl - C.S. Lewis, the author of The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe.

no no, I meant for another book....

and oh btw..heheh :embarrassed: I didn't know/forgot that...thanks Zuzu

Posted

If you're looking for a list of C.S. Lewis' works, they can be found here

Posted

i am not reading one right now butmy favorites were harry potter 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 also eragon and eldest (and yes it only took 2 years to read all those

Posted

I haven't read many books that aren't apart of a series, and most are fantasy. The first series I ever read, was the Dragonlance triology, "Chronicles" which I followed up with "Legends". They were my favorite series, until I read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. And that was my favorite, until I started reading the Dark Tower series, by Steven King.

I haven't read anything else by King, and I'm not sure if I will, but the Dark Tower is truly an epic story.

As far as non-sci fi or fantasy, The Stranger by Albert Camus and Life of Pi by Yann Martel are at the top of my list.

Posted

I just finished reading The Shinning by Stephen King. He truly is the king of terror...He made me fear a playground... But my favorite books are The Lord of the Rings series. Harry Potter used to be my favorite, but after I read LOTR, they don't seem good anymore.

Posted

I loved the shining, the movie anyway, I unfortunatly cant claim to have read the book, though I would like to one day.

Posted

The movie has absolutely nothing to do with the book, me tells ya...

Posted

I probably will read some more of sai King's work. Throughout this series, 7 books in all, the main characters have run into Father Callahan from Salam's Lot, Ted Braudigan from Hearts in Atlantis, and Dandelo, which I believe is the clown from It. One of the main villians is a man named Walter O' Dim, who has gone by many names, one of which was Randell Flagg (the man from The Stand).

King said many times, in prologues and whatnot, that he wanted The Dark Tower series to be his "LOTR", and feels it is his magnum opus. There is a very LOTR feel to it as well, so if you're a fan of that story, you should definately love this one.

And if you've read his other books, like the ones I mentioned above, you'll get to see some characters continue on their story. I haven't read anything else by him, but I probably will go and read the books that have tied into this series. Apparently there is a lot of them, which makes a lot of sense considering the Dark Tower is all about many worlds.... Anyhoo, I'm going to play some Wii now =)

Posted

What are the Dark World series books about? I was thinking of reading one of them, but i dunno...