Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

America's Obesity Epedemic

19 posts in this topic

Posted

What exactly is the weight at which someone is considered obese?

Posted

200+

depends on your age actually

Posted

has anyone seen that DVD called "supersize me"?

that just proves how criminal we are sueing fast food joints when we know full well that fast food is the express train to obesity

Posted

i'm glad i have 0% body fat

Posted

I'm 16 years old and 121 pounds myself, so I don't worry about getting fat.

Also, doesn't muscle mass figure into whether or not you're obese?

Posted

I'm 16 years old and 121 pounds myself, so I don't worry about getting fat.

Also, doesn't muscle mass figure into whether or not you're obese?

Are you serious?! I weigh about 170+ pounds, yet I am somewhat slim! :huh: Do you think height has anything to do with it, because I'm somewhat tall...

Posted

Well, I'm slightly below average size (I'm around 5ft 5in), so maybe being shorter makes me lighter.

Posted

I have a 32 inch waist...some guys I know that look heavy are as heavy or lighter than myself. :huh:

My body is weird... :wacky:

Posted

Its generally worked out by people's Body Mass Index (or BMI), and it shows you roughly the weight range you are in, judged by your height and age.

When I was younger i was a little bit chubbier, and when I worked out my BMI then it said i was only an 'Average' weight for my build. Now I'm probably classed as underweight. Im not sure how they work out muscle weight though, as muscles are heavier than fat and could throw off the BMI scale.

its a shame that moving chart only goes from 1985 to 2006, alot can happen in two years - just take a look at the difference from '93 to '95 or more recently, '03 to '05.

Posted

It depends on your gender, height, age, etc.

BMI and all that.

BMI just shows your whole weight, but you still could have an unhealthy amount of bodyfat.

I sure as hell have too much fat. :] I've lost like 10 pounds in the past month though. -proud-

And It's gonna keep going down.

<_< I need to be superlight to look slim because I'm so freaking short. D:

And as much as I'm prolly overweight, I'm not like 100 pounds overweight. o.o It's kinda pathetic that people let themselves get that way.

Posted

BMI Calculator

A BMI of 30 or above is considered obese. Note that this isn't accurate if you have a ton of muscle. (ie, a body builder will show as obese). For the every day person, it's good however.

If you're overweight or obese, now is the time to fix it. It will only get harder for you as you get older so you need to change your habits now or suffer the (debilitating and potentially fatal) consequences later in life.

Exercise, get your heart rate up, eat lean meats and veggies, avoid foods high in saturated and trans fats (less fried food especially!). Get tons more fiber (nearly all Americans are deficient in fiber intake). Wheeee. Lots of simple things can make a big difference.

Posted

Seems like I'm in the upper normal weight area. :) And I guess I should stop pigging out almost every day before I really start gaining weight...:P

Posted

I'm underweight (no surprise there), but just barely. Of course, I'm fine with my weight, and I'm not in any danger of having weight issues.

Posted

Dustin, that's for adults. :P Though, I'm in the upper normal weight...