Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Friend I Could Only Wish For - Link+Skullkid

25 posts in this topic

Posted

^^ This is a one-shot, I'm actually writing Zelda stuff! QUICK. RUN.

So, anyhow, I've always loved the character Skull-kid from Majora's Mask. He's cute, a prankster, and...

Well, he doesn't exactly have the best life, does he?

What if Link and him had one more day to hang out? Because, really, you never know what could happen. ;3

I may get some facts wrong 'cos I never completed Majora's Mask and knew exactly WHAT happened to the Skullkid/fairies, but I got the gist that they stayed behind, soooo~~

Link is rather talkative at times, but I try to make him talk as little as possible.

Rated K+ (the equivalent of TV-Y7, in other words; might have some themes, but not really) for... the bit at the end.

~~~~Enjoy!~~~~

"S-so... what're we gonna do?"

The Skullkid was shaking at the knees, which was a lot noisier than you'd think it would be; with his wood-like legs, the joints creaked and cracked, starting to give Link a sort of headache.

"What are you so nervous for?" he asked, tempted to hold his new friend still. The Skullkid blushed, and looked down at his feet, mumbling. "...what was that?"

"What if they don't like me for... what happened?"

Link could remember only too well what Skullkid had done under the influence of the dreaded mask...

And surely, people in town would strike him down for it.

"You're with me!" Reaching for his friend's hand, he took it in his own, surprised at the softness. He'd expected maybe splintered wood, or maybe something rougher, but no; it felt almost like the downy fur upon the top of a puppy's head; "No one would hurt you if you're with me."

Skullkid seemed to like that answer, as he jumped up from the ground at these words and nearly dragged Link into the northern enterance of the town, away from the woods that he was so used to and into the world he was eager to see.

Was this what industrial life was like?

Indeed, the people merely walking about on their daily errands looked different, with their fancy clothing (sometimes poor-looking) and hurried expressions. Sometimes they'd exchange greetings, but rarely did they stop to actually talk. The construction workers were still trying to finish the tower in time for the Festival of Time tonight; indeed, one of them nearly trampled Link in his attempt to hurry wood to the tower.

It truly was great timing that Link come back today... Skullkid hadn't wanted to go into the town, but always wished to experience the festival anyway. Tatl and Tael and let them go off on their own; for some reason, Tatl seemed very giggly at the fact that Skullkid was so attached to Link all of a sudden. They said they'd meet them before midnight.

"Oh..."

Skullkid suddenly lingered behind, just as they were about to talk into the bullet range game. Link turned, confused at his sudden stop.

"..I forgot.. I.. I haven't a mask.."

Link recalled just what Tatl had said before they left...

"Don't mention masks to him. It's become sort of a phobia, ever since that one... though I'm sure you'd convince him to wear one to the festival!"

"No problem, Tatl... but how are you gonna...?"

"We have it all worked out."

Reaching into his bag, Link motioned for Skullkid to sit down on the flower that was near the Stock Pot Inn. Link followed him as he stumbled over, and sat next to him, rustling through the sack. His friend watched curiously until he took out a mask that looked something like a skull, only... it just wasn't.

"I call it the Skull Mask; you remember it, don't you?

Skullkid looked at it as if Link had pulled out a bundle of cobras wearing spiked collars instead of a mask. Link heard the words of Tatl echo faintly in the back of his mind, and smiled reassuringly.

"I've worn it to a dozen graveyards to pull pranks; I don't think it's gonna hurt you."

Skullkid still seemed hesitant, but took the mask anyway, holding it about a foot from his face.

"...if... if I go crazy, don't hesitate to kill m--"

"Just put the damn thing on."

Indeed, it was about a whole minute of shock-ridden silence when he'd finally strapped it to his face out of panic. Link could feel a fit of giggles coming up; he was sure that under the mask, Skullkid probably looked ridiculously surprised, mouth (?) agape.

"...Feel like strangling me with random tentacles out of your back yet?"

"Uh-uh."

"Good!"

Within seconds, the still dumb-found imp was dragged into the bullet range game.

~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~

"...I guess I need to work on my aim."

Link was flushing in frustration, even as they walked out of the shop. He must have killed 10 blue octorocks, but only gotten 1 red one. Skullkid, though...

"Yeah, you do. I remember how much I sucked at that game... at least I got us some pocket money to buy food."

It was twilight now. The bells were ringing, and children wearing their own masks were running about the streets.

"Wait, you've been here before?" Link asked, stopping so that Skullkid accidentally walked ahead a few paces. He could feel the imp blushing even from here.

"I.. I came here once with a girl Deku.. before the whole mask thing.."

Link felt his heart suddenly start to pound harder... strange, it was the same kind of feeling he got watching a crime he couldn't stop... That feeling of hatred for the crime-commiter. But... this was nothing like it?

"What happened to her?"

The Skullkid started to fiddle nervously with his fingers; the street-lanterns started to flicker with fire. The flames cast an eerie sort of light over his face; Link was reminded of Oldawa... that was so long ago...

"When everyone else left... she left too. She didn't wanna be considered... weird."

Skullkid closed his eyes, standing there... Link felt around in his mind for a comforting word, some kind of reassurance...

But couldn't.

"Nice mask, guy!"

The Skullkid found himself being commented on by a face similar to his. But much to Link's surprise, it was the leader of the Bomber gang, giving a compliment to a non-human!

"...T-thank you. You too!" Skullkid gave a genuine smile; Link felt himself smiling as well at how much his face lit up by one little compliment.

Skullkid turned on the spot, grabbing Link by the shoulders, and the hero suddenly felt himself being forced into the tightest hug he'd had in memory (and being who he was, he was hugged a lot). For such brittle looking arms, they were strong.

"W-what?"

He could smell the woods on him, and felt at home, as if in the Kokiri Woods he longed to be in right now...

"Thank you. I-I mean, for coming with me. Not many people would."

Pulling away, but still in his arms, Link met the Skullkid's gaze, feeling slightly uncomfortable, but at the same time...

"No problem."

Skullkid smiled again, and they both made their way towards the northern part of town...

Hand in hand.

~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~SKXL~~

"Link."

"Hmm...?"

"Best. View. Ever. Seriously."

"H-heh... yeah, thanks."

Link had used his hookshot to let them up onto the roof of the open-door store (where they'd bought a bit of food, though it was laying forgotten at the side, the drinks dripping onto an unknowing child's head), where they now laid, hands behind their heads. The two were thinking of ways to perhaps take advantage of the after-party slur, where they could probably plunder the riches of forgotten treasures upon the streets.

"...Link."

After a pause in their conversation, Skullkid sounded oddly serious. Link still scanned the (demonic-moon-free) sky, but nodded, acknowledging him.

"Y'know... when... 'he' turned you into a Deku.. it wasn't entirely his idea," Skullkid was, once again, fiddling with his fingers, which Link had signified to himself meant that he was tottering on the edge of something he was scared to say.

"I was... thinking of her... and I thought you might look.. uhhh.... cute..."

The Hylian found his own face going warm, he'd already seen the blush on his friend's face.

"Oh, really..."

"Yeah."

Skullkid and him shared another pause, listening to the party-goers laugh and sing below them...did anyone even know they were up here?

"...Do you still have a way of looking like the Deku? F-for me, please?"

Link looked at him long and hard... his face was nearly expressionless, but you could easily see the tears forming in the back of his orange eyes.

He couldn't say no to that.

Reaching into the bag again, out came the mask he hadn't used in a year... Staring at its equally orange eyes, he smiled. To think of how far the person beside him, who prompted him to make this mask, how far he's come...

And it went on with that familiar tingling sensation.

"I'd.. I'd forgotten how small you were.."

Skullkid seemed to smile at him; the imp was at least 6 inches taller than him now. Link, now a Deku, spit at him playfully, but missed, instead hitting the wall. Skullkid merely pointed and laughed, only to get another spitball in the face.

"Eww!"

It was Link's turn to laugh, falling onto the roof again on his back... Skullkid was laughing too; he was coming closer, closer, and then--

-smooch-

"S-sorry."

Right on the cheek. How was that possible...? Link rubbed his cheek, definetly red now. He turned his head slowly, to see Skullkid pulled into a sort of cuddled position, holding his legs to his chest.

"..It.. it IS what friends do, right?"

"...Right."

Link found himself edging closer as well, feeling somewhat braver than he should be; the triforce of courage was yelling at him to do it, do it!

"But... friends don't do this."

It was supposed to be an impossible kiss.

But it wasn't anymore.

"I told you, Tael; we're not hanging out with Skullkid tonight."

"Eww... but they're... guys..."

"SHUT UP! You're being close-minded! Anyway, you gotta admit, it's pretty cute..."

"...yeah, but..."

"We'll take him out next year... I guess."

"Yeah... at least we're together for the festival THIS time..."

"H-heh... yeah..."

"..yeah.."

--------------------------------------------------

END

=D Tell me; hate it? You probably do! COME AND GET ME, HYRULE.

But you know what? I enjoyed writing it. <3 Tell me what you thought, please...

no, seriously, tell me. :|

Posted

Wtf. >w<

Skull Kid x Link.

Well, not really a fan of any/most pairing, but it's good fan fiction. I liked the paragraph where they contemplating getting the leftover stuff in the street.

Imagery was good. General night time feel permeated the story as well.

Good job, Vivs. =O

Sahaqiel

Posted

I like it. :D Absolutely adorable. Although I'm not a big fan of the pairing, you make it so undeniably cute! :3

Posted

YAAAAY. >w< My first two reviews...

Srsly, I'll be the only fan you'll see here. Trust me. so, no lonliness. :3

Posted

Lol. "Cobras wearing spiked collars." :biggrin:

I absolutely love the way you wrote that. The imagery, as Saha said. That was awesome Vivi. You're details really made a huge impact on this story. Like the drinks dripping on the random kid's head. . . :joy:

The paring was different, but that's what made this story stand out. I honestly think that you're the only one who has ever written a story about Skullkid and Link smooching. The fact that it was so unique made this story even better, even if it was sort of awkward. Lol.

Awesome fanfic. Great job Vivi.

But what's a SKXL?

Posted

'tis Skullkid x Link. >w<

And actually, though it's not the full-length kiss like this, there's one on FF.net that has SkullkidxLink in it, and they share one kiss.

IT'S THE ONLY FIC. -cries-

Posted

It was good, but very creepy.

Posted

Holy shiznit!

First off, the pairing is hot ( ;) )

Second off, great use of words, and imagey as stated above.

It twas a nice lil story about something impossible, becoming possible!

Posted

<333 Love ya, Lefty~ Thank 'oo~~

Posted

This story is good, a little odd, but good. What I like most about it is how it is well-described.

:joy:

Posted

I'm not really a fan of that pairing, but you made it incredibly cute. :3 You have achieved the impossible when it comes to me a lot.

Posted

I don't care for any gay couples with video game characters, but you still did a good job.

Posted

That was adorable!! x3

I'm not a huge fan of this coupling, but as many people have stated before, you made it cute! :D

Great use of details, too. Awesome job, Vivi! =D

Posted

Wow, jeez, Viv. I knew you could write, but that was great. I really enjoyed that. I've never really read anything you've written before though. I just glanced at stuff and thought "Meh, pretty good" But this one was Zelda-related so I had to read it. It was very well written, it was detailed, and it gave the two characters...personality. Now, the pairing doesn't bother me at all. Any pairing in general doesn't usually bother me. But you made it work. Write mooore. D:

Posted

About on of the Four Giants and Gyorg gettin' together! :biggrin: