Do You Think Global Warming is true?

116 posts in this topic

Posted

Also, we have enough nukes to destroy the Earth completely three times over in the US. Anything that has two minds to try and crash into us doesn't stand much of a chance unless we sit here like idiots.

Doesn't that say more about the USA then it does about those guys trying to crash into you?

Posted

Remember hurricane Katrina? Who wants to bet it wouldn't have happened if we didn't screw up the atmosphere?

I believe in global warming and the atmosphere is getting mildy screwed up, but I have to disagree

There's been plenty of natural disasters on that level and plenty stronger, recently and hundreds of years in the past, this particular big ones just happened to hit a built up area...

@eyeoftruth:

XD

Posted

What? I'm talking about meteors or whatnot. Something realistic that would likely crash into us if something were to crash into us. The two minds thing was a personification... I was using the US as an example because we're not the only ones that have nuclear weapons.

And yeah, you'd be surprised how small things affect the big picture, Gingerlink. ._.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I agree with Saha on this... that rarely happens.

Anyways, i have no theories or anything... Just wanted to say that i agree with saha.

Yeah... about everything he said in this topic....

Posted

1. Yes

2. 11-20 years

3. yes

There is no global warming, and I don't care about it. I don't even see the point of life. I mean you live, go to school, get a job, and then you die. Do you get a medal for living? NO!

Besides 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. The something will crash into the earth, and destrstroy everything. Or

2. The earth is going to crash into the sun, and we'll all burn to a crisp.

Your #2: In billions of years. when the sun runs out of hydrogen. or w/e it is lol.

The something? I don't think it's possible for the Polar Ice Caps just melt at an alarming rate... if the polar ice caps melt then a lot of coastal areas will be flooded miles inwards, ocean currents will either stop or nearly stop do to the cold water. Ocean needs to be warm in order to have a current... hurricanes occur when there is a increase in ocean temperature.

There is no way to basically stop global warming and yes I'm sorry if you don't think there is by now I don't know... the pollution from our vehicles, factories, etc. float to the atmosphere where light goes in... the light is supposed to bounce off of the ground, water, etc. and go back out into space... but the heavy pollution (carbon dioxide and other gases) keep the light inside which makes it hotter.

Sure there is a life cycle...

We are born>we live through or childhood (most)(Elementary School/Junior High School (Middle School)>we live through our teenage years (High School)>adult(Get a Job or going to College/University/Trade/Other)>Senior Years (Retired Maybe)>Death

and then it just starts over again... maybe not you... but other people... just because /you/ are dead doesn't mean that everyone else is dead... you die other people are born and their cycle begins... sure the world is becoming overpopulated which is also another soon to be problem... More people=More demand of food in other countries=loss of food due to grow and demand. We are probably are close to our Capacity as is. The world can only provide so much.

People just need to think of it... This may sound offensive but if someone believes that oh god will save us... well when.

Posted

If the polar ice caps melt completely, will there really be a global flood?

My science teacher once stated that scientists have measured that there is enough water in the ice to rise the sea level as much as 700 or so feet...

Just thought I might share, and see what you guys think... :unsure:

Posted

Yeah, see, ice floats, right? But only 1/4 of the ice mass floats above water. So you think Antarctica is big, right? It's bigger than that, and you should probably think twice before contributing to the pollution.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I really don't see how some people don't think global warming is real. Scientists have already showed us that Venus was once like Earth, but due to global warming (gases, greenhouse effect, etc), it's now uninhabitable (not that it ever had life, but you know what I mean). Now it's happening to Earth, and it has been for a very long time. But, as time passes, the problem becomes greater and the changes happen more quickly. We already have a hole in our ozone layer that only keeps getting bigger, and all the evidence provided for global warming is hard not to believe, especially after seeing various changes in one's own lifetime.

People need to do their part. Unfortunately, many don't because they don't believe in it, don't care, or just don't know how. For those who do care and want to do their part, we have google.com. :)

Posted

Let me rephrase that If god is GOING to destroy the the earth What if we destroy it first? I still Believe in christ But I don't Believe 100% What The bible says.

Posted

Let me rephrase that If god is GOING to destroy the the earth What if we destroy it first? I still Believe in christ But I don't Believe 100% What The bible says.

I don't belive in god. I belive he's an idea to take people over. I belive in science, and I can't even spell it.

The earth was created with a big bang note the "the big bang thery," and in time we grew from fish to frogs, from frogs to chimps, chimps to monkies, from monkies to apes, and finally from apes to people.

I belive this because I don't listen to books made many years ago that's over a millon pages, that was a hyperbole. Although my friend did tell me that two people named Adam, and Eve were created then something about a tree, and food. Then faimly guy told that god hid playboy behind the tree because he was a pervert, and I belive faimly guy, and science.

That's also why don't care if I die because I will rot in the ground, and I don't know where people got the idea of heaven, and hell, but that's another story, for another day.

Posted

I don't belive in god. I belive he's an idea to take people over. I belive in science, and I can't even spell it.

The earth was created with a big bang note the "the big bang thery," and in time we grew from fish to frogs, from frogs to chimps, chimps to monkies, from monkies to apes, and finally from apes to people.

I belive this because I don't listen to books made many years ago that's over a millon pages, that was a hyperbole. Although my friend did tell me that two people named Adam, and Eve were created then something about a tree, and food. Then faimly guy told that god hid playboy behind the tree because he was a pervert, and I belive faimly guy, and science.

That's also why don't care if I die because I will rot in the ground, and I don't know where people got the idea of heaven, and hell, but that's another story, for another day.

Just because one is religious doesn't mean one cannot believe in evolution or science...

Yes, someday the earth will naturally become inhabitable, because the sun will begin burning itself out turning into possibly a red giant. Before the sun reaches that state, though, it might already be too hot on earth for humans to be outside during daylight, being forced to live underground and only able to come out after dark.

But as it is, we are beginning to heat up earth way before it's supposed to. :unsure: And if anyone is wondering where I got the above paragraph, it's from my knowledge gained from watching the National Geographic channel. :D

Posted

Rofl. The warming of the planet may have a better harvest now, but it's highly possible it could also cause a second ice age. With the warming of the planet, the ice caps start melting. Since the ice caps are mostly freshwater, freshwater starts leaking into the oceans. This freshwater messes up the natural currents heating places like California. The environment isn't invincible.

Global warming is there and it's taking its toll. With combinations like cutting down forests and high CO2 levels, we're destroying the Earth's Oxygen content. Don't give me the crap that they plant two trees for every one they cut down. This may be true, but since no trees are left behind, there's no fertilizer from decaying trees for them in the future which causes the trees to grow poorly and die sooner.

We're destroying unique species that have never been discovered or studied and we're just shoving everything down as we think we're climbing the ladder. This is going to have a backlash on us worse than anything regular people think about.

Remember hurricane Katrina? Who wants to bet it wouldn't have happened if we didn't screw up the atmosphere?

Also, YLA, the sun is scheduled to explode in about... Billions of years from now? Besides, the sun is only going to expand far enough to engulf Mercury and Venus.

Also, we have enough nukes to destroy the Earth completely three times over in the US. Anything that has two minds to try and crash into us doesn't stand much of a chance unless we sit here like idiots.

Sahaqiel

The object coming at us after we launch a nuclear missile at it could, possibly, break up. I used to watch the science channel a lot, until everything was just a repeat, and something came on talking about a comet coming at the Earth. It then showed scientists telling the government about it and deciding what to do about it, they came up with either letting it hit or launching missiles at it. The scientists wanted to let it hit, but evacuate everyone in the surrounding area, since they located where it was hit, and then a few hours before it hit, they said it would land in Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania. Anyways, They scienctists wanted this because they figured out that it was a soft object and that if they launched anything at it, that it would break up into so many parts that the Earth would pretty much be done. In the end, they let it hit.

So, pretty much, you shouldn't just resort to "Launch the nukes!!!" right away, unless you know what kind of object you're dealing with.

There's also another story where a comet or meteor was about to hit Jupiter, and as it got into the atmosphere, it broke up into many parts, and the when it hit, it created massive explosions.

Global warming is real, and The Day After Tomorrow is a p. cool movie.

Just my input.

Posted

Yeah, but it's better than getting hit by the whole thing. Blast it into bits and let air friction take care of the smaller pieces. The larger surviving ones would do damage, but not as much damage as a large single one would. A single one could knock the world off its natural tilt and possibly deform its orbit if it's big enough. The missiles would be the safest way to deal with the problem, as long as we deal with it from a safe distance.

Sahaqiel

Posted

What? I'm talking about meteors or whatnot. Something realistic that would likely crash into us if something were to crash into us. The two minds thing was a personification... I was using the US as an example because we're not the only ones that have nuclear weapons.

And yeah, you'd be surprised how small things affect the big picture, Gingerlink. ._.

Sahaqiel

Oh:P Thought it was a threat or something to terrorists ^^,

Posted

Yeah, but it's better than getting hit by the whole thing. Blast it into bits and let air friction take care of the smaller pieces. The larger surviving ones would do damage, but not as much damage as a large single one would. A single one could knock the world off its natural tilt and possibly deform its orbit if it's big enough. The missiles would be the safest way to deal with the problem, as long as we deal with it from a safe distance.

Sahaqiel

What if it was soft, as well as big, then when we hit it with anything, the parts are still as big as the common meteor or comet. Even though, you have a point with some being able to knock the Earth off of its tilt, fklfmsdlkflmfsfklms nevermind. We could just evacuate those areas.

But, still, we shouldn't always resort to, "sdalk;fnlksd WE HAVE TO LAUNCH THE MISSILES AT IT, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"