Okami

44 posts in this topic

Posted

I happened to hear about this, "Okami" game in YLA's, "New Game" topic. I believe I've heard about it a little in a couple of my NP Mags, but I've never really looked into it.

After what you guys have said and what I've read of the plot, I'm thinking of buying it soon.

In your opinion, is it worth getting?

[You can also discuss the game in this topic if you like.]

Posted

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Okami is probably the first non-Zelda game to get the Zelda formula right... or at least do it justice. I first played it when it came out on the PS2, but the Wii version with the motion controls I'd say is even better (though they can get a bit unresponsive at times). The music is gorgeous (inspired by classical Japanese folk music), and the Japanese watercolor painting aesthetic makes it I'd say one of the best looking video games out there; at times the cel-shading even outdoes The Wind Waker. I've seen videos and pictures of the game played in the original photorealistic style next to the final cel-shading used, and I'm glad they took the artistic direction they did.

Posted

I have only played the PS2 version, But that was an excellent game. I loved it. When I get a Wii, I am gonna get LoZ:TP (again), SSBB, and Okami.

Posted

Heck yes you should buy it! It's one of the most artistic and beautiful games I have ever played. It holds the spot as my favorite game of all time, and I wish that it was more popular. The graphics, music, and Gameplay are all wonderful, and this game has made all other games look boring. I loved it, and I think it's a wonderful game.

Posted

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!

XD Alrighty, thanks GM. ^^

Okami is probably the first non-Zelda game to get the Zelda formula right... or at least do it justice. I first played it when it came out on the PS2, but the Wii version with the motion controls I'd say is even better (though they can get a bit unresponsive at times). The music is gorgeous (inspired by classical Japanese folk music), and the Japanese watercolor painting aesthetic makes it I'd say one of the best looking video games out there; at times the cel-shading even outdoes The Wind Waker. I've seen videos and pictures of the game played in the original photorealistic style next to the final cel-shading used, and I'm glad they took the artistic direction they did.

Watercolour painting, eh? Hm, sounds interesting. Thanks for the info, SirJ. =)

I have only played the PS2 version, But that was an excellent game. I loved it. When I get a Wii, I am gonna get LoZ:TP (again), SSBB, and Okami.

Third yes, woohoo! Thanks Twilit Prince. :)

Heck yes you should buy it! It's one of the most artistic and beautiful games I have ever played. It holds the spot as my favorite game of all time, and I wish that it was more popular. The graphics, music, and Gameplay are all wonderful, and this game has made all other games look boring. I loved it, and I think it's a wonderful game.

Yeah, I'm surprised it isn't more popular (what with what I've heard of the plot and all.) Thanks Shadowknight! =D

Okay,

wow. xD Four definates in the category of, "Yes." XD Sweet, sounds good! I'll be off to buy it on Thursday. :)

P.S: It made #17 in the top 20 Wii games in the latest NP Mag! =O Well, according to your guys' opinions on the game, I'm not surprised. =)

P.P.S: I'm very surprised SSB didn't make it to, like, 2nd or 3rd in the top 20 N64 games in the latest NP mag. :huh:

Posted

I've never seen this game... Ever. How long has it been out for?

Posted

It seems wonderful. I want to buy it. It's been out for a wile. DeviantART sent out notices about it to every member when it came out.

Posted

I've never seen this game... Ever. How long has it been out for?

It came out in 2006 originally for the PS2. Sony selected it as one of the last titles to be designed for the PS2 before PS3 came out. And you most likely have never heard of it because it sold really badly, but it got 9 out of 10's in almost all the websites it was reviewed for and was IGN's Game of the Year in 2006. Capcom ported it to Wii with enhanced graphics and motion controls this year because everyone (including me :3) thought the Celestial Brush would be perfect for the Wii Remote.

It seems wonderful. I want to buy it. It's been out for a wile. DeviantART sent out notices about it to every member when it came out.

You should get it! And YLA too. The creator himself said it was influenced by Zelda, specifically Twilight Princess (hello, you control a wolf!), if that's not incentive enough to get it, so gameplay-wise, you should right at home.

But watch out, YLA; it's -gasp- cel-shaded.

Posted

Might I add though, the cel-shading creates one of the most beautiful videogame environments to date.

Posted

Might I add though, the cel-shading creates one of the most beautiful videogame environments to date.

Yes. Okami and The Wind Waker are probably the only two games to pull off cel-shading perfectly.

Posted

don't worry that you havn't seen it Y. Link addict, you wouldn't like it due to the above points...

Posted

I love Zelda, and I despise cel-shading, but It'll balance it out... How do you think I beat wind waker? By complaining the whole time? No I perservered, and I ballanced my love for zelda games, and came out on top. :) But now I really hate cel-shading, but this game sounds cool, and if I can't get over it then what am I a man or a retard not to play games because of headaches. You deside because I know what I am.

Posted

That was very mature. I'm proud of you YLA.

If you look past the cel-shading, I'm sure you'll fall in love with Okami.

Posted

Yes. Sariyar, you will buy this game right now. I don't mean tomorrow, I don't mean in a half hour, I mean now. Okami is beautiful in hundreds of ways. I bought it three or four days ago, and I spent nine hours on it today. Nine. In one sitting. This isn't even funny. I've spent about thirty hours total. You will buy. Stunning, boldly-outlined paintbrush graphics, amazing traditional Japanese music, fresh gameplay that is very Zelda-esque while still remaining supernaturally unique, memorable characters, each with distinct personalities- you will buy, all of you, if you haven't run out to the store already while reading the topic. Why haven't you? Go!

I haven't loved a non-Nintendo game this much in a long, long time.