Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Sols and the Twilight Realm

8 posts in this topic

Posted

It's been made clear numerous times throughout Twilight Princess that the Twili and the Hylians just can't coexist with each other: the people of Hyrule were turned to spirits when twilight fell over them, and Midna almost died when exposed to direct light. But don't you find it strange that the power sources of the Twilight Realm and the objects needed to restore the Twili are Sols--spheres containing pure light energy?

Also, if the twilight turned everyone in Hyrule into spirits (or hinted in the game, some were turned into shadow beasts or were killed), and Link was protected by turning into a wolf by the Triforce of Courage, why didn't anything happen to Zelda, do you think? Or was it just the Triforce of Wisdom protecting her?

Posted

People have theorized that this is because she had a magical cloak on, as she never takes it off in the Twilight Realm. It has a Sheikah eye on the back of it.

Also, this would actually make sense. Twilight is during the sunset, and a sunset can't occur without a sun. Perhaps if the Sols, the "suns" of the realm, were gone, then the realm would just be darkness, which is what the sunset is without a light source?

And probably, the Triforce of Wisdom was protecting her. When she gave up her power to revive Midna, she vanished, which is possibly due to losing her protection.

Most people would assume the cloak, though.

Sahaqiel

EDIT: Also, it's not made clear that the Twili and people can't coexist. It's not the Twili themselves that made the land get covered in Twilight. Midna was exposed to light several times, as well, just not one as intense as Lanayru's.

Posted

I always thought her cloak was worn in mourning of Hyrule lost to twilight, like I've read in numerous Twilight Princess insiders that Zelda (whom we didn't actually know was Zelda back then) was a figure in funeral garb (an assumption made from the Sheikah emblem on the back). It said the same thing again in the description for Robed Zelda's trophy in Brawl (not that it counts as canon).

Posted

It was probably the Triforce of Wisdom which protected her, since she disappeared when she gave it up. Wait. But they weren't even in the Twilight Realm at that part. I'm not sure. Ganondorf was turned into that flaming spirit thing with the power of his Triforce and the Twilight Realm mixing, right?

Posted

No, It was ZANT and him mixing, actually.

Posted

sol means sun in Norwegian.

Posted

"Sol" also means sun in Latin and Spanish. In Italian, it's "sole". In French, it's "soleil". All sorts of languages have the word as such, or relatively similar (German's "sonnen"). The Sols embody the sun in the Twilight Realm, which, as previously stated, would need them because "twilight" without "light" is just "twi," and that's wrong. Ololol no, but you need darkness and light to make twilight. =O

I don't think there was anything magical about the cloak; nothing particularly hinted at it. And if Zelda's cloak was protecting her, don't you think the Twili that were keeping her under watch would remove it from her if they wished for her to fall victim to the same fate as the rest? Perhaps they wanted her to stay the same for reasons stated later in my post, but you never know. I rule out the cloak. >:(

It was probably the Triforce of Wisdom protecting her. But I was also thinking- what if Zant let her stay as she was so she could watch her land as it was taken over? If you remember, the ordinary villagers, as souls, couldn't notice anything different. If Zant actually had the power to grant Zelda the ability to look on helplessly, he'd do it to keep her guilty and such as she watched her clueless subjects run about under the quiet watch of the overshadowing twilight.

If you ask me, she should've turned into an owl. "HALLO I'M ZELDA GAEBORA, AND I KNOW EVERYTHING AND I'M AN OWL AND I CAN TALK BLARGH BLAH BLAH. =D=D"

Posted

I wonder what would happen if zant was touched by a Sol?