Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spriter's Diary (Sahaqiel)

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to regularly update this thread to my progress with spriting for Hyrule Online.
I'll just update with some of the more exciting things. I might post .gifs of some of them.
Just as a side note, we're not exactly sure that these will be in the finished product of Hyrule Online, if it ever comes.

Character sheets completed:
Twili

Character sheets in the work:
[url="http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5369/skullkiddu9.gif"]Skull Kid[/url]

Items:
Various. I might specify later, but they might not even be in the game.

This is totally my decision, as they're my sprites.
And since Dustin/ADR are hard at work, (Rofl, except the former) I'll just see what everyone else thinks about them.
No stealing.
I'll destroy you.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Thanks bro! :D
But could you post them in just png or something... not moving... (Not gif) since I can't put gif's in the game :P
I need all the move steps yes... but I need to put them on one line so the game can let it moves him self... (get me? or... not? :P )
(Don't forget Tappy! and specver he sends me sprites :) )
Dustin needs to help me out with some things on Hyrule Online (scripting and such)
Only he is very busy with Zeldafan... Hyrule.net 3.0
I didn't work on Hyrule Online much anymore... but good news is... there will be islands >.< (working on one now :P)

Posted

Actually, ADR, I'm not going to post full sprite sheets here. I'll PM you full sheets when I'm done.
The .gif is just an example.
Besides, the sheet's not even done yet.
Sahaqiel

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' post='163207' date='Aug 17 2008, 06:18 AM']Actually, ADR, I'm not going to post full sprite sheets here. I'll PM you full sheets when I'm done.
The .gif is just an example.
Besides, the sheet's not even done yet.
Sahaqiel[/quote]
Oh yes,
Ok sorry :P

Posted

Character sheets? I finished myself some time ago. Kind of a LttP merchant. CUSTOM MADE :D

What are the necesities for a character? I made attack, swim, move. Adr990 has it already.

Btw Adr, if you read this, thanks for working on those islands :D Go islands!

Posted

Well, we're trying to make the game have some depth and some playable races, am I right? And this game is in LttP style, so I made the sprites accordingly to the design of Link's sprites from LttP, in case they're going to be playable.
Other than that, they could easily be NPC's, and NPC's kind of ran and moved the same was Link did. Custom for a LttP styled game's characters? I don't know... I mean, I saw the fairy sprite, and that was pretty nice, but for other humanoid walking characters, might as well not reinvent the wheel.

Also,

"Character sheets? I finished myself some time ago. Kind of a LttP merchant. CUSTOM MADE"

Custom LttP Merchant? You said character sheet[b]s[/b]. Kind of misleading to just name one as an example. And "finished myself some" is equally confusing. So anyways, you made a custom bottle guy?
Sahaqiel

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' post='163628' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:16 PM']Well, we're trying to make the game have some depth and some playable races, am I right? And this game is in LttP style, so I made the sprites accordingly to the design of Link's sprites from LttP, in case they're going to be playable.
Other than that, they could easily be NPC's, and NPC's kind of ran and moved the same was Link did. Custom for a LttP styled game's characters? I don't know... I mean, I saw the fairy sprite, and that was pretty nice, but for other humanoid walking characters, might as well not reinvent the wheel.

Also,

"Character sheets? I finished myself some time ago. Kind of a LttP merchant. CUSTOM MADE"

Custom LttP Merchant? You said character sheet[b]s[/b]. Kind of misleading to just name one as an example. And "finished myself some" is equally confusing. So anyways, you made a custom bottle guy?
Sahaqiel[/quote]

Oh no, no no no no. He LOOKS like a LttP Merchant. He is a hooded man. Btw I meant finished some myself.

That first paragraph was hard to understand. I am only human.

And for playable characters, I make those. I need to know the bare necesites for the character sheet. Like, does it need the person playing the ocarina, walking and running, shooting a bow, etc.

Posted

NPC's are non-playable characters. In other words, every character or monster not controlled by a player.
And I mean that it's useless to "reinvent the wheel" because you shouldn't have to put time and effort into making custom sprites when there are recyclable ones right in front of you. If you edit them well enough, then they're OK. Doesn't matter that they're edits, because we're making things based on copyrighted images and characters anyway.

I'm still working on the left and right animations for Skull Kid, which is tough because the head doesn't move very naturally for some reason.
Sahaqiel

Posted

skullkid's cute....

Posted

[img]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4328/spriteskt0.png[/img]

Superior.

Posted

Roflroflrofl.
I agree I couldn't really have done much better than that, but you have been working on it longer than I've worked on anything in spriting.
Also, roflrofl, game code eliminates the need to sprite individual amounts of magic.
I mean, the row of magic bars looks cool from afar, but it's unnecessary and only takes up filespace.
Sahaqiel

Posted

When you said that you can program the Magic Bar into the game, this didn't make sense to me, you need sprites for the Magic Bar. You don't make sense with this.

Posted

I said you don't need to sprite individual amounts. With code, you can make it so that a bar of green or something similar stretches across a certain path.
Sahaqiel

Posted

[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2707/spritestr7.png[/img]

Superior.

Posted

[quote name='Fierce Muffin' post='164135' date='Aug 20 2008, 04:05 PM'][img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2707/spritestr7.png[/img]

Superior.[/quote]

I SAW THAT! SUPERIOR!