Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A played a Wii!!!

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Woot! Ok, here's the story:

I got called in to work yesterday and when I arrived, a co-worker... let's call him Josh, alerted me to the new Wii demo across the store. I was like ohmy.gif and then he told me that it needed to be activated by a Nintendo representative. So half the evening I was looking forward to that when he informed me that it wouldn't be that day. I was fairly bummed, but I still got to look at the Wii controllers and points cards in the back room and look at the Wii from behind the barrier.

As we were closing though, and I was vacuuming, another co-worker, we'll call him Brandon, began taking out the controllers that came with it. I was horribly distracted and was able to pick one up and check it out.

-The controller feels very solid and is fairly small. The buttons all feel really nice, I don't know how to describe them but they're really good quality. The A button is especially cool.-

So Brandon tells me that a letter came with the demo saying basically "don't try to turn it on b/c it won't work. Wait for the Nintendo rep." But while I'm vacuuming, Brandon is figuring out how to take the kiosk apart and before I know it has the whole shell off and is examining the Wii itself. Soon the TV is on and the kiosk glowing blue. For the rest of the time I was vacuuming, Brandon was on a screen saying "press A to continue" and was apparently stuck there. I was frantically finishing my vacuuming and came over to show him how to sync the controllers. Now both 1st and 2nd player cursors appeared onscreen and we put in the basic information.

At first I was pointing with my arm extended and the cursor was flying across the screen. Then I realized I had to just hold it and angle my hand at the TV. It is very easy to point and select things. Much easier than I expected.

So now on the main interface, as Brandon is just moving the cursor around, I quickly select the Mii channel, but I didn't get very far since my 2nd player cursor went away once I started designing one.

Next, Brandon unrespectfully jammed the Excite Truck demo into the Wii and we started playing that. So we turned our controllers sideways and realized that you have to do the tutorials first... so Brandon did a couple of those and then couldn't complete one after a few tries and let me do it. So... I did it after a bit of getting used to it. It was very fun and in probably 30 seconds I was used to it so I didn't even think about the fact that I was turning the controller, I just did it.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any farther than that because Josh turned off the power, including the Wii, cutting me off in mid race. sad.gif I want to go back and play it today but he said that he "won't turn it on today b/c he hates it being so busy with people that just stand there and play it for hours, asking questions and complaining about how they can't get one."

I can't wait till Sunday now!!!

Posted

Dude, that is just so awesome, i'm dying to get one now.

Posted

i almost got to play 1 but a guy was hogging the game... but i cant wait to get one!

Posted

My mom and I will try to order it from a site I will tell none of, preorders starting tomorrinow.