Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miyamoto, Mario, Zelda, win at CEDEC Awards

5 posts in this topic

Posted

The [i]Super Mario[/i] and [i]Legend of Zelda[/i] series, along with their creater Shigeru Miyamoto, were honored at this year's CEDEC Developer's Conference.

------

The annual CEDEC Developer's Conference, which is the Japanese equivalent to the Game Developers Conference here in the United States, holds peer-voted awards to honor excellence in the video game industry. Nintendo led the number of awards, with three.

The Super Mario Bros. series was awarded Best Game Design for its innovation in the side-scrolling platforming genre, and its revolutionary environment design in 1996's [i]Super Mario 64[/i].

"This 'meticulous timing adjustment and level design' is an amazing compliment, but my involvement with [i]Super Mario Bros.[/i] was over twenty years ago," Takeshi Tezuka said upon receiving the award. Tezuka was part of the original Super Mario Bros. development team, and helped develop meny of Nintendo's other games.

"At that time, there weren't words like level design, or even 'game design' - just 'people who make games'. In those days, we used special paper to draw our levels on, and we'd think things like 'let's slide this block a little to the right' and 'let's bring this enemy forward a little bit' - it was that kind of straightforward work. These days, we've simplified that sort of manual labor, and we use various tools, and I think the environment is gradually changing...I accept this award on behalf of all of the people involved in game design and level design on the Mario series, from new recruits to those who've been doing it for over 20 years."
[i]
The Legend of Zelda[/i] series was awared Best Sound Design, in honor of seamlessly integrating music and gameplay together, the memorable soundtracks, and sound interactivity within combat sequences. Accepting the award was Nintendo's in-house music producer, Koji Kondo.

"I'm extremely honoured to accept this first award for sound design," he said. "Seeing as the award is voted for by other game designers, that puts a huge value on the prize, which I'm really happy about. Saying just a little about the world-view of [i]Zelda[/i] is pretty difficult, but if I was to venture I'd say that we've created the sound of the games by trying to bring to life the various new worlds of the series, placing an big emphasis on interactive ideas such as incorporating orchestral hits into[i] The Wind Waker[/i]'s battle scenes."

The company's legendary game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto--who created both [i]Mario[/i] and[i] Zelda[/i], accepted the CEDEC Special Prize Award, given to him by CEDEC board member Kenji Matsubara.

"Well... Tomorrow I'm going to talk for about an hour, so today I didn't think I'd have a speech," he laughed. "Thank you very much. I think, even as I get older, I want to keep striving. I think anyone who still has the opportunity to work still feels that way. Honestly, as society recognizes gaming bit by bit, I think we should all do our best so that the game business flourishes and the number of the children who want to enter the industry multiples. Thank you very much."

Posted

of course mario and Zelda are awarded,their classic's :D go Miyamoto!

Posted

And donkey kong :fear:
Me want DK! :embarrassed:
But good job 9-10-do!

Posted

w00t!

...nuff said

Posted

[quote name='Adr990' post='168904' date='Sep 12 2008, 05:03 AM']And donkey kong :fear:
Me want DK! :embarrassed:
But good job 9-10-do![/quote]

DK [i]was [/i]amazing, but I don't think it comes anywhere near to Zelda, or even Mario. The only goodo ne was [i]Donkey Kong Country[/i], the first one.

Go Miyamoto! :D