Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gerudos

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Just so we're all clear, the Gerudos don't have crazy incest parties with every king that comes along. They go into Castle Town and take whom they will. And I'm not even making it up, I'd give you a source but I really thought that was common knowledge by now.

The Gerudos went away because poo happens. That's just how it is. Are they gone for good? Who knows? Doesn't really matter. If they come back, then we'll know. For now, there's no answer and there won't be by discussing it.

Posted

TWW side of the timeline, I figure they just... died out. I mean, Ganon was sealed into the Sacred Realm, so there goes their leader. Nabooru had become a sage, so she probably couldn't lead them, either. Also, it's common knowledge that the Gerudo would seek boyfriends from Hyrule, so there was undoubtedly some interracial reproduction going on. Without a purebred Gerudo male, the race was just phased out. It's also possible that they drowned. Really, with no allies and a bad rep, it's unlikely that they (the purebreds who were still dwelling in the desert) would survive.

TP side of the timeline, something similar could be said. This time, Ganondorf was banished to the Twilight Realm, so again, lack of a leader. Perhaps Nabooru could become their leader on this side of the timeline, as she'd never have awakened as a sage. Still, the race would eventually be phased out because their one purebred male is gone. Another possibility is that the race as a whole was banished when Ganondorf was. Or, considering that the Gerudo Desert has become difficult to access (most likely due to change in terrain over the centuries), it's possible that the Gerudo are just deeper in the desert than we can explore.

Either way, on both sides of the timeline, there's going to be people with Gerudo blood in them because of the whole boyfriend-seeking bit, so the race doesn't completely disappear.

Posted (edited)

Personally I'd say they were sucked into developer oblivion. Considering the lack of sequels in Zelda that take protagonist A on to game 2 I'd imagine that the fate of a race in one game wasn't exactly really a prevalent concern when making another. Somehow I can just see this turning into another one of those "unanswered" Zelda debates that just never ends nor does it get answered.

Although, I have been wrong, they did come out and "set us straight" about the split timeline, but seemingly only to make the franchise make sense. Too bad that can't happen in games instead of outside. *shrugs*

I'm a tad bitter I suppose, so looking in universe to look for clues for a theory on this issue is somewhat hard for me. I'd like to know what happened to the Gerudo or even more personally the Kokiri, but when I'm looking into the face of glaring continuity issues like the radically changed geography or strange new creation theories (proposed by the GAMES) like that of "Hylians were created by the ol' chap child of a Cucco and Farore's Wind" I have a hard time really taking it seriously.

It's like trying to draw your likeness in a funhouse mirror, you don't quite know what to trust. That's how I tend to look at unraveling canon when it has much to do with Twilight Princess.

Edited by TheTrueLegend (see edit history)

Posted

(You misspelled Farore, and the population of the City in the Sky doesn't really account for much. =( )

Anyways, the Gerudo did seek boyfriends, and this is common knowledge, which could account for the Gerudo's seeming disappearance. I have this white friend who had a pure Kenyan great-grandmother, roflrofl. I mean, it would make sense for the Gerudo to try and uproot themselves from their difficult desert life. Ganondorf in the events of Wind Waker, told about how the winds that blew through Gerudo Valley only brought death and misery. Why not move? Interbreed a bit, and the more populous genes of the Hylians and humans might have covered up the less numerous Gerudo genes. Of course, in genetics, this would seem unlikely; if the Gerudo DID seek out boyfriends regardless of their race as long as they resembled humans, it would mean that the Gerudo genes are EXTREMELY dominant, because all children born to Gerudo are Gerudo, despite family history. It's possibly they just migrated, or they were imprisoned during the events of TP. Zant's robes had a Gerudo symbol before Ganondorf encountered him. It's also likely that the Sheikah were imprisoned to an extent.

Of course, FSA, which is most likely later in the timeline, has Gerudos, and they even abandoned their high respects for their male leader once he went mad, as opposed to the blindly loyal Gerudo of OoT.

The Kokiri don't need much explaining, call me lazy.

The Kokiri Forest was supposed to be extremely secret, and rightfully so; the village is composed of defenseless children in the care of a giant immobile plant. Their human appearance in Ocarina of Time can also be attributed to defense; the Koroks of Wind Waker, which are evolved Kokiri, might have frightened humans and made them hostile against them, since they resemble Deku creatures. If they were just children, then it would be like the kind of submission puppies give when they roll over; they roll over to create a sense that they are small, and therefore, not a threat, to create trust. Small strange wooden creatures probably would not constitute as "not a threat", attributing the human response to such things as being afraid and hostile.

So, it is really not much of a wonder why the Kokiri went underground, even though it would be much more interesting if they hadn't.

Hopefully, this explains something to someone.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I think the gerudos all drowned in the great flood

Posted

(You misspelled Farore, and the population of the City in the Sky doesn't really account for much. =( )

Thanks! I went back and fixed it. Beyond Din I always forget the spellings of the Goddesses names. :P Did I mention the City in the Sky?

Posted

You said something about people coming from bird things and Farore's Wind, which implied the population of the City in the Sky since it's apparently one of the civilizations "closer to the Goddesses".

Also, wtf, how would the Gerudo have drowned in the Great Flood? >_>

Explain, Not Sage of Time.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Sahaqiel

Never said they actually did, but it's a definite possibility. Obviously, races survived and evolved. The Gerudo, however, really wouldn't have any allies due to the reputation they would have because of Ganondorf. Who would aid them? They're a desert-dwelling race. Their monuments and buildings are built from stone. Their location does not provide enough trees to build boats to save themselves. Halflings born outside the desert with the Hylians would survive with their Hylian families, but the purebreds in the desert would likely have been wiped out unless they could have fled to higher ground.

Fleeing to higher ground IS a possibility, though. Afterall, we see that Gorons have survived the flood. Or they could have simply taken the opportunity to turn into a secret, hidden race like the Sheikah. *shrug* Who knows.

There are many things that could have happened to the Gerudo. Let's hope they survived, and maybe Nintendo will give them some more exposure in future games.

Posted

Many people speculate that the "small-time" band of pirates that occupied the Forsaken Fortress before Ganondorf in Wind Waker were Gerudo, owing to the fact that Gerudo in Termina were basically pirates.

But I think this thread mostly revolves around Gerudo disappearance in TP a;sdkljf...

Perhaps not, whatever, too lazy to check.

But still.

Sahaqiel

Posted

TWW side of the timeline, I figure they just... died out. I mean, Ganon was sealed into the Sacred Realm, so there goes their leader. Nabooru had become a sage, so she probably couldn't lead them, either. Also, it's common knowledge that the Gerudo would seek boyfriends from Hyrule, so there was undoubtedly some interracial reproduction going on. Without a purebred Gerudo male, the race was just phased out. It's also possible that they drowned. Really, with no allies and a bad rep, it's unlikely that they (the purebreds who were still dwelling in the desert) would survive.

TP side of the timeline, something similar could be said. This time, Ganondorf was banished to the Twilight Realm, so again, lack of a leader. Perhaps Nabooru could become their leader on this side of the timeline, as she'd never have awakened as a sage. Still, the race would eventually be phased out because their one purebred male is gone. Another possibility is that the race as a whole was banished when Ganondorf was. Or, considering that the Gerudo Desert has become difficult to access (most likely due to change in terrain over the centuries), it's possible that the Gerudo are just deeper in the desert than we can explore.

Either way, on both sides of the timeline, there's going to be people with Gerudo blood in them because of the whole boyfriend-seeking bit, so the race doesn't completely disappear.

Anyways, the Gerudo did seek boyfriends, and this is common knowledge, which could account for the Gerudo's seeming disappearance. I have this white friend who had a pure Kenyan great-grandmother, roflrofl. I mean, it would make sense for the Gerudo to try and uproot themselves from their difficult desert life. Ganondorf in the events of Wind Waker, told about how the winds that blew through Gerudo Valley only brought death and misery. Why not move? Interbreed a bit, and the more populous genes of the Hylians and humans might have covered up the less numerous Gerudo genes. Of course, in genetics, this would seem unlikely; if the Gerudo DID seek out boyfriends regardless of their race as long as they resembled humans, it would mean that the Gerudo genes are EXTREMELY dominant, because all children born to Gerudo are Gerudo, despite family history. It's possibly they just migrated, or they were imprisoned during the events of TP.

This all makes me wonder about the Gerudo gene pool. They would have to have the most dominant genes in the universe for their race to survive beyond a few generations. And since they know for a fact that a male heir will be born every 100 years, they must have been around for several centuries, at least, to have been able to see it come to pass.

But if you think about it, <i>there is no such thing as a pure-blooded Gerudo.</i> Every one of the Gerudo women had a father of a different race. Even Ganondorf <i>had</i> to have has a father, didn't he? He could have been Hylian, or Sheikah, or who knows what else.

In the real world, there's no way this race could have come into existance, let alone survived. Crazy, crazy Hyrule.... :huh:

Posted

You said something about people coming from bird things and Farore's Wind, which implied the population of the City in the Sky since it's apparently one of the civilizations "closer to the Goddesses".

Sahaqiel

OH, I was merely saying how silly I felt it was for Nintendo to randomly introduce some half-baked theory by way of Shad that the Ooccoo created the Hylians instead of the Goddesses. Their population, while lacking, made more sense as a ruins. Didn't the game mention at some point that the city may have been occupied by other being previous to them?

Posted

I

Posted

This all makes me wonder about the Gerudo gene pool. They would have to have the most dominant genes in the universe for their race to survive beyond a few generations. And since they know for a fact that a male heir will be born every 100 years, they must have been around for several centuries, at least, to have been able to see it come to pass.

But if you think about it, <i>there is no such thing as a pure-blooded Gerudo.</i> Every one of the Gerudo women had a father of a different race. Even Ganondorf <i>had</i> to have has a father, didn't he? He could have been Hylian, or Sheikah, or who knows what else.

In the real world, there's no way this race could have come into existance, let alone survived. Crazy, crazy Hyrule.... :huh:

Maybe the one man is the only father any of the Gerudos have. That would mean that the Gerudos, at least the men, have long lifespans.

Posted

Maybe the one man is the only father any of the Gerudos have. That would mean that the Gerudos, at least the men, have long lifespans.

that actually explains why they weren't around during TP, as the only guy gerudo was excecuted, how do they continue? No father for the species

Posted

Reading this post got me thinking about Ganondorf's parentage. We know that Twinrova was his surrogate mother, but we have no indication of who Ganondorf's father was. Who's to say Twinrova didn't kidnap/seduce some Hylian into "volunteering" his genes to father Ganondorf? Gerudo women have a tendency to take men from around Hyrule; maybe that's what happened in Ganondorf's case. And Hylians have a natural affinity for magic, don't they? Could that be where Ganondorf got his powerful magic skills from? Hylian blood?