Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DSi to be region locked

22 posts in this topic

Posted

so does that mean you cant play ds games, only DSi? ill b pissed if thats so :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Posted

[quote name='Dusty Boi' post='175269' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:37 AM']so does that mean you cant play ds games, only DSi? ill b pissed if thats so :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:[/quote]
No. It means DSi only plays games specific to its original region. A DSi sold in Japan will only play games released in Japan, for example.

Region locking only applies to software specific to DSi. You can still play imported games made for the original DS or DS Lite.

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='175271' date='Oct 9 2008, 07:16 AM']No. It means DSi only plays games specific to its original region. A DSi sold in Japan will only play games released in Japan, for example.

Region locking only applies to software specific to DSi. You can still play imported games made for the original DS or DS Lite.[/quote]

oh so youre saying that if i buy it from ebay i can only use japan games on it not ones that are american when it comes to america?

Posted

[quote name='levi' post='175439' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:42 PM']oh so youre saying that if i buy it from ebay i can only use japan games on it not ones that are american when it comes to america?[/quote]
If it's a DSi from Japan, then yes, it will only play Japanese games and its internet will only work if you're somewhere in Japan. The same goes for North America and Europe.

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='175504' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:08 PM']If it's a DSi from Japan, then yes, it will only play Japanese games and its internet will only work if you're somewhere in Japan. The same goes for North America and Europe.[/quote]

Wait, I thought the internet would work and you'd just connect to a Japanese server instead of an American one.

Posted

[quote name='Aethix' post='175616' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:09 PM']Wait, I thought the internet would work and you'd just connect to a Japanese server instead of an American one.[/quote]
No. That's like saying someone in the US can get service on their cell phone from a European provider.

The DSi's internet was the very reason for region locking. It even says in the article. Reading must me a lost art these days.

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='175661' date='Oct 11 2008, 08:54 PM']No. That's like saying someone in the US can get service on their cell phone from a European provider.

The DSi's internet was the very reason for region locking. It even says in the article. Reading must me a lost art these days.[/quote]
While I believe you, since you're probably more knowledgeable on the subject, my thought wasn't that far-fetched. There's a difference between internet and cell-phone service. The region lock could still work under my scenario. I read the article.