Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DSi to be region locked

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo DSi's software, as well as any DS titles released after it, will be region-locked.

------

[center][img]http://blog.wired.com/games/images/2008/10/06/dsi.jpg[/img][/center]

Like Wii, region-locking will render all imported games from another region played on a DSi intended for another unplayable. This is at odds with the GameBoy, the original DS, and DS Lite, all of which had no region restrictions. The decision was based upon the advances made in DSi's internet connectivity.

"DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region," a statement from Nintendo said.

This is however at odds with a statement made by Cammie Dunaway, the company's vice president of sales and marketing on if the console would be region-locked.

"I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi," she said.

The region-locking only applies to DSi-specific software. Any title made for DS or DS Lite will be playable on DSi, regardless of region.

Posted

Thats just stupid! Why would they do that? Im not getting one now.

Posted

ya... don't really like it. im still getting one tho. and im gonna get the triforce edition when it comes out to add to my collection :)

Posted

Lame. :cry:

Posted

[quote name='Tazay' post='174763' date='Oct 6 2008, 03:22 PM']Thats just stupid! Why would they do that?[/quote]
"DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region."

What are they teaching you in English class these days?

Posted

Basically means they are trying to censor content in certain countries. It'll just be another instance of the "if you didn't have it in your region originally, you can't have it now" mentality Nintendo has.

Oh well, I'll just import an American one.
Probably end up cheaper to anyway.

Posted

Well, I suppose it makes sense. Think about the Professor Layton series with the puzzle updates, and assume the "downloadable" puzzles aren't already on the card. I don't want to get stuck with Japanese puzzles on an English game. What I think Dunaway meant was that the DSi wouldn't region-lock old games. Still, I wish it were possible to alter the region code without hacking the system.

Posted

[quote name='Twili' post='174777' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:13 PM']Oh well, I'll just import an American one.
Probably end up cheaper to anyway.[/quote]
Apparently, North America is the last market to get it. Reggie said it wouldn't be at least until next April that they even consider releasing it in the US, since DS Lite sales are apparently still very high here.

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='174805' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:11 PM']Apparently, North America is the last market to get it. Reggie said it wouldn't be at least until next April that they even consider releasing it in the US, since DS Lite sales are apparently still very high here.[/quote]

It's only fair. Japan has been getting it first for ages, and the US was always second.
Then we got the Wii first. Wtf did that work out?
Anyways, the Europeans need a break too.
Honestly, though, I can see this being a part of my everyday life. It will give new zeal to the concept of DS gaming.
I love it.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Hmmm. Yeah, I'll probably just stick with my DS Lite.

Posted

[quote name='Tazay' post='174763' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:22 PM']Thats just stupid! Why would they do that? Im not getting one now.[/quote]

Out of interest, living in America, how often do you actually import stuff? If you don't import anything then this doesn't affect you one iota...

Living in Europe or Australia is another matter, but the only DS games I've ever imported were the most recent 2 ace attorneys (The last Phoenix Wright actually came out AFTER Ace Apollo over here, about a week ago)

Posted

I thought they would do this. What with being able to download content now, I don't think that they could've kept it region-free.

Still, with the thoughtg of being able to download NES or SNES games onto the DS with this baby, some of my fav Japanease games are now out of the running...

And there's another thing that I have to question about that, now that I'm on the subject of downloadable content. With the thought of being able to download said games, I wonder if comapnies will be brining back classics (such as Chrono Trigger now being re-released for the DS). Not only will players be able to play classics, but, in Chrono Trigger's case, they won't have to be paying $39.99 for a redone classic to the DS.

...Just a thought...

Posted

i dont get it...im not as smart at technology as all of you...whats region lock? please give an easier way to put it for me

Posted

Region lock means that you can't use the tech in other regions. Like, if I imported a DSi from Japan, then I wouldn't be able to use it in the US.
Sahaqiel

Posted

lawl, i always thought that the DS was region blocked anyway... guess i was wrong