Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Abandoned

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

for english. why else would i have made it? it's inspired by zelda. only have one chapter done. about 4 pages. actually, i'm not even sure on the name yet. can't really find the right one right now... i'll find a name eventually.

Chapter 1

It was a calm noonday. I was sitting on a log in the courtyard, thinking about how bored i was. The sun was out, and there were barely any clouds to be seen. The perfect freeday, except that it wasn't free at all. I had class pretty soon. My parents say I should be grateful, I have the power that all mages need to cast any sort of spell at all. The power of Mana.

My name is Jorg. I've been training in the arts of magic since i turned 12, 2 years ago. At age 12, you're given a test of sorts, to see if you qualify to learn the arts of magic. Well... i wouldn't really call it a test. They basically scan you for mana, and if you have any, the start teaching you how to use magic on the spot. Usually they only save the "Test" for times of war, though there have been different occasions. I took my test during a period of war. And that very same war is still going on, and it's been going on for 5 years now.

My thoughts were interupted with a coughing behind me, the kind of cough that tells you "Uh, idiot. i've been here for a while, now" I looked behind me, to stare into the cold, heartless eyes of my merciless teacher.

"So, Jorg, you aren't warming up like you were supposed to be? tsk tsk, we'll have to go on without the warm up, then." he grunted, and stared at me. "we'll start out with the water ball attack excercise then. Come on now, get your lazy butt off that log and get ready!" he sneered. i groaned. i hate the water element. it's supposed to be my main element, though i suck at it anyways. It was my favorite element, oddly enough, seeing as i hate it.

I stood up, hesitantly. My teacher got out a beacon of water, while starting the incantation for a basic manipulative spell. The water slowly came out of the beacon, taking the form of a ball. My teacher stopped the incantation, pointed at me, then shouted a command. the ball sped at me, and hit me square in the chest.

"What were you thinking?!" I screamed as i started searching for a cloth to dy myself off with. "You were supposed to deflect it, but as always, it seems I had to spell it out for you. We will try again, and hurry up." The teacher spoke with absolute dislike in his voice, though i didn't really hear most of it since was was drying my head off.

The process repeated itself, him controlling the water like a masterful pupper, then commanding it to hit me. Though after a while, i was able to deflect his attacks mostly with water ball attacks of my own. Eventually though, i grew tired, and he hit me with a few. I moaned and got the cloth again. "Can we work on something else? like throwing lightning?" I haven't tried it before, though anything would be easier then this. My teacher sighed, "No, i'm teaching you water because your main element is water, as is mine." I groaned again.

The lesson basically repeated itself for the rest of the day. My teacher hitting me with his water ball, while most the time i was caught umprepared, the result of me trying to make my water balls too dense. The water balls would hit me, knocking the wind out of me, too.

I like the feeling of getting the wind knocked out of me, oddly enough, though to have it done to you 3 times a minute, it gets tiring.

By the time I finally managed to deflect one of his attacks again, I was soaked to the bone. I grabbed the cloth and dried myself off, or atleast tried too. It was pretty wet itself now. "come on now, i want to get to the end of this lesson sometime this century, Jorg." My teacher said. "fine, what next?" "Proper water shield techniques 101" I gulped. I barely could manipulate water into basic shapes, now he's teaching me how to make a full out shield? Things were starting to get interesting and difficult, in a weird sort of way.

My teacher pulled out a different beacon of water, this one slightly bigger than the other one. He mumbled a few words in the ancient code that i didn't know, then Shouted the command "protect" The water in the beacon shot up around him, forming an ir-regular cylinder shape. "Now, you try. the first three words, de glagle Shvin, translates to do my bidding. Hopefully, you'll be able to get this within a week, Jorg."

I stood up, and mumbled the words, then shouted protect, trying to focus allmy energy on the water. Slowly, it came up to protect me, but it was a weak shield, As i soon found out when my teacher launched an attack at me. The shield shattered in an instant, soaking me, though atleast i didn't get the wind knocked out of me. though then he launched a second attack, which hit me in the knee.

"Well, i guess it's better than when you started the water ball attack. That will conclude todays lesson." My teacher got his bag, then left. I pluncked myself on to the log. Using so many spells at once in a short time tires me out fast, even though they were weaker then cowdung. I sometimes wonder how i ever got to be a mage, I thought. surely more than half of the other people i tested with could do better then this.

I stood up, and decided to head back to the cottage. Their's never anything to do at this time of day, anyways. As i was walking, i noticed the clouds had turned dark grey. I started walking faster. Sometimes, rain isn't exactly 'Normal', around these parts anymore. Enemy magicians would sometimes alter the clouds, making the rain something nasty. It then appeared to me that the clouds had little, blueish grey dots on them. Uh-oh.

I rushed through my front door, just as the rain began. It was a pale purple color. I shuddered, pale purple rain meant it was acid, that melts the skin on contact. That'll teach me to take my time walking home again. I didn't hear the stove running, like i usually did after one of my lessons. It was cold in the house, too. Too cold, infact. I walked into the dining hall, half expecting a demon to jump out and eat me.

Instead, i saw my mom talking to a man in a black cape. The man had a sheathed saber on his back. He had a sense of ill-boding hanging around him, like the stench of a sewer rat. I gulped. This could only mean he was one of the king's personal gaurds. They never carried good news, when they carried news at all. "Jor, would you please sit down?" My mom asked. She seemed to be choking down a sob.

As i sat down, the gaurd said "You know of the secret mission your father was sent on, am i correct?" My dad was one of the best of the best, so he was always sent out on missions like this. I nodded. A few things weren't right here. One, the Gaurds usually never could visit citizens of GrothingMort like us. Even if my father was head of the mages guild, Gaurds would've visited him at his tower, not at a cottage.

Two, even on the rare occasions the Gaurds came, they weren't aloud to speak about any missions. We've had spy problems in the past, and there are suspicions going about spying again. Can't trust anyone outside of your cottage in times of war.

Three, The only occasion when Gaurds are aloud to talk about missions is when they fail, or when... no. I don't think my father would've died, or been captured by the enemy.

"We're sorry to inform you, but we still haven't received word of your father crossing into the border, or any border towns, or any command posts. If he doesn't make contact within the week, we're going to have to strip him of command and declare him dead."

My mother let out a sob. I just stared blankly into space. My father, declared dead in public. I cried out. This could be about the worse position our family could be put in, for this means there'll be feuds with our family, for we choose the next Mage headmaster (that is, if my father doesn't turn up. still hoping he will).

So, that's how it goes, unless something happens to me and my mom. Then it's a face-off against the two most popular magicians. I wouldn't be worried, if every mage wasn't as power hungry as a raving dog.

"So," I asked "what if he does turn up?" I'm afraid i know the answer "Unless it's a reason of great importance, he'll be stripped of command." Great, he was the only thing that kept us from becmoing starving hobos. "Also, if he doesn't return, you'll be sent out to war." "What?!" i angrily uttered. My mother hasn't even said a word of defense for us.

If only i wasn't so weak! i thought bitterly. I needed to train hard, and train hard i will. "Also, Jorg" The Gaurd new my name, wonderful.

"We feel you're ready for the advancement tests. If you pass, you'll be given a new and better instructor." This was my chance! I just need to pass the tests. "When will they be?" i asked eagerly the gaurd laughed. His laugh was kind of like a volcano erupting. "It'll be tomorow afternoon, at 4 pm."

anyways, hope you guys liked it.

Edited by PokeFan (see edit history)