Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miyamoto: "Something missing" in Twilight Princess

36 posts in this topic

Posted

[i]Zelda[/i] creator Shigeru Miyamoto can't help but feel that that somehow, [i]Twilight Princess[/i] was somewhat lacking.

------

Miyamoto, the creator of some of Nintendo's biggest franchises, was rather critical when asked about what he thought of the latest installments in two of his most famous series, [i]Super Mario[/i] and [i]The Legend of Zelda[/i].

"What I've been saying to our development teams recently is that [i]The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess[/i] was not a bad game, by any means. But still, it felt like there was something missing," he told [url="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/29/shigeru-miyamoto-punchout-mario-zelda-portal/"]MTV Multiplayer Blog[/url]. "And while personally, I feel like[i] Super Mario Galaxy[/i] was able to do some things that were very unique, at the same time, from another perspective, certain elements of it do feel somewhat conservative."

"This is something I've been talking to both of those teams about...hopefully [the next [i]Mario[/i] and[i] Zelda[/i]] will feel newer and fresher than their most recent versions."

With [i]Zelda Wii[/i] and the sequel to [i]Galaxy[/i] well into development, it shouldn't be long before we see just what Miyamoto and his teams come up with.

Posted

This is what we've been saying all along. >:(
Gosh. Twilight Princess, as a Zelda game, is much overrated by those within and outside the Zelda fanbase.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Gosh. Twilight Princess, as a Zelda game, is much overrated by those within and outside the Zelda fanbase.
Sahaqiel

...Wait. Did someone already say this? My bad.

Posted

Gosh. Twilight Princess, as a Zelda game, is much underrated by those within the Zelda fanbase.

No one has overrated TP in the Zelda fanbase... in fact, we're constantly harder on it than it deserves.

Posted

But many aren't.
Sure, sometimes we're hard on it, but some people act like it's the best Zelda game to date, even though it wasn't as expansive or deep as other titles, seemingly mostly because of just its graphical style.
It was a good game-- great, in fact, but I've seen many who idolize it because they simply say it looks cool, and will defend it to the death over top Zelda title.
To me, this is overrating something.
Sahaqiel

Posted

This is what we've been- WHAT THE!?!
are you all reading my mind?

Posted

>:( Along all saying been we've what is this.
Fanbase Zelda the outside and within those by overrated much is, game Zelda a as, Princess Twilight. Gosh.
Leiqahas

Posted

This has been implied by the fans for quite awhile now.

Jees. Many people outside of Zelda's more immediate fans have made this game out to be greater than it really is in truth.

Posted

Told you so! XD
Oh, snap! Except for those die-hard Zelda geeks, everyone seems to think it's the best freaking game ever made!

Posted

I honestly think that TP is one of my favorites, I don't think it's over rated. It's a beautiful game that, in my opinion, helps to expand on the blood line of the hero and royal family and their relationship with one-another and with Gannon, the dark force. I feel like it also helps to define the time-line a bit more.

Posted

I think it's sad that half-assed fanfictions have more interesting stories than what the Zelda team have come up with recently.
Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass being the first to come to mind.

People asked for another Ocarina of Time, and what we got [i]was[/i] Ocarina of Time. In reality, the fans brought this upon themselves.
Especially after boycotting Wind Waker.

"I don't want this kiddy cartoon game, I want my grimdark mature zelda game for mature gamers such as myself!!!1!"

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' post='180315' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:20 PM']But many aren't.
Sure, sometimes we're hard on it, but some people act like it's the best Zelda game to date, even though it wasn't as expansive or deep as other titles, seemingly mostly because of just its graphical style.
It was a good game-- great, in fact, but I've seen many who idolize it because they simply say it looks cool, and will defend it to the death over top Zelda title.
To me, this is overrating something.
Sahaqiel[/quote]
Okay, but [i]some[/i] people consider it to be a streamlined conglomeration of every Zelda aspect into one seamless package. It's a tight package; it flows really seamlessly. In that sense, it's very clear how people could see it as the "best". It's like Phantom Hourglass, but a little less simple. That's the single reason why young Zelda players especially are grabbing onto it, in the same way that people your age grabbed onto OoT - it has a strong, focused pacing, and a story that stays very central to the game without including or invoking other games.

Also, MM and WW may be better games, but they are not the best places for a new player to jump in. TP, on the other hand, is very accessible. So in that inclusive sense, TP is also the "best", because everyone can enjoy it on a given level.

And finally, I'd like to add that you're as biased against "good" graphics as others are against cel-shading.
Nabeshin

Posted

TP was a great game. theres no denying it. and yes, it was a bit overrated. but the reason it was overrated, IMO, is because sooo many gamers, myself included, wanted something that could stand up to OoT. but deep down inside most of them just wanted another zelda title that looked and played like OoT... and thats what they got. and they loved it. a lot of people tried to call it the "OoT of today" and whatnot. but its just way too hard to make a game that is as amazing, in every aspect, as Ocarina.

i personally cannot wait to see what the Zelda team has up their sleeves! :) they've made nothing but awesome games and im sure this next one is gonna be the same. im just glad they realized that "something's missing"...

Posted

[quote name='Nabeshin' post='180394' date='Oct 30 2008, 03:58 AM']And finally, I'd like to add that you're as biased against "good" graphics as others are against cel-shading.
Nabeshin[/quote]

When did I imply that I'm biased against realistic graphics?
My stance is that I don't care, as long as the game itself is enjoyable, but you shouldn't go around bashing the cel-shaded look just because it's less dark/serious or different. Also, yes, I realize that TP was just a way to bring new people into the Zelda fanbase, but that's just what it feels like. An attempt, not a full-blown project that is meant to realize some sort of potential, which is what they, AND the fanbase, as well as those new to the series (So, basically everyone) made it out to be.

Also,

[quote name='Nic B' post='180382' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:09 PM']I honestly think that TP is one of my favorites, I don't think it's over rated. It's a beautiful game that, in my opinion, helps to expand on the blood line of the hero and royal family and their relationship with one-another and with Gannon, the dark force. I feel like it also helps to define the time-line a bit more.[/quote]

It didn't really say anything about Link's bloodline, and it made no mention whatsoever about the Royal Family. (The only clear part of the royal family in the game was Zelda, and we barely saw her.) It doesn't make any mention about their relationship with Ganondorf, either, (And yeah, it's spelled Ganon or Ganondorf, not Gannon or Gannondorf) and what?
There was nothing about anything called "the dark force".

Twilight Princess also seemed to stall and mess up the timeline. Such things like the absence of Octoroks and the odd geographical locations only seemed to make it harder for people. ;/

And yes, I recall reading something way back that said Shiggy was disappointed with the change back to photorealistic graphics, so I thought, "Well, if he didn't like that..."
And so forth.
Sahaqiel

Posted

No offense, but you're only coming off as pretentious, and still biased.
Nabeshin