Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wii Controller

66 posts in this topic

Posted

actually, 3d mapping's been done fine. With red steel, although they'd changed it for the e3 demo, they had 3d mapping for the sword fighting elements, but originally they said it felt slow, clunky and slightly unrealistic.

For the E3 demo they did as you've explained there adding a few input functions to translate to the action on-screen.

However, they have announced that this is not how the sword fighting will work in the final game and it looks like they've gone back to iron out the problems in the 3d mapping.

So if red steel can do why can't zelda?

Because, first off, Red Steel was designed to take advantage of the motion-sensing technology; that's it's gimmick, in a way. Now Twilight Princess, on the other hand, was designed as a Zelda game, through and through. I suspect that it was delayed last year so they could implement features for the Wii controller. Then it was delayed again to iron out any problems, and to update the interface. 3d mapping, as it's used in Red Steel, would take a much longer time to implement in Zelda, because Red Steel is in many ways, a more simple game. It's also been said multiple times by Nintendo execs that they don't want to force the player to have to swing the controller all around just to do the simple fighting. Also, even if it is heavily modified, it is still the Wind Waker engine that Twilight Princess is running on.

Posted

as i said it should be there as an option, i was also pointing out that it would be possible...

Posted

I'm dissapointed, Nintendo has created the coolest controller ever, but they're to worried about their fans getting tired to use it to its full extent on their major games ( Zelda, Mario, SSB, etc.. ) .

Posted

as i said it should be there as an option, i was also pointing out that it would be possible...

I agree, I just meant it to ward off the blatant misinformation some of the other members have with some common sense. It'd be possible for Zelda Revolution, just not for Twilight Princess if they want to meet the public's expectations for a release date.

Sorry for the long post, but I think this should be addressed as well:

I'm dissapointed, Nintendo has created the coolest controller ever, but they're to worried about their fans getting tired to use it to its full extent on their major games ( Zelda, Mario, SSB, etc.. ) .

Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy are using the controller to it's fullest extent without making it ridiculous. No matter what you (or anyone else) claims, no one wants to control Mario by say, flicking it for jumping. For hours on end. From what I can gather, Nintendo isn't going full out on the controls for these games because it isn't plausible. Can you imagine the reactions by the press and the first timers when the control scheme is so "immersive" that it's overly technical. Nintendo's goal with their "Touch Generation" is to provide a gaming experience for everyone. That doesn't mean just people like us who would gladly control it until we got tired. It means, as they said in the conference, they want to bring in people who might not have the stamina or the willpower to slash every 3 seconds just to get by. They are saving the controller's aspects for more minor elements of gameplay until they can gauge the public's reaction. I know that playing games using the controller to it's full extent sounds like a great time, but it's not like Nintendo hasn't thought this out. Their last two systems didn't sell as well as they could have, so they are going in with a new game plan. Give it time, and you may just see a game that truly uses the controller as much as it can.

Posted

I will never hate nintendo

Posted

I second that motion.