Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Legend" vs "LoZ Ocarina of Time"

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I recently borrowed this old fantasy movie from the library called, "Legend." It mostly intrigued me because of its fantasy genre, along with the fact that Tim Curry was in it. XD Oh, and Tom Cruise.

So, as I was watching, the entire time all I could think was, "Wow, this is insanely similiar to Ocarina of Time! I wonder when this movie was made?" So, I went online and checked. Apparently, the movie was made in 1985. I'm also pretty sure that OoT was released in 1998 (or '88. Either way, "Legend" came first.) So with the movie being incredibly similiar, it really makes me wonder if many os the games aspects were based off of "Legend."

Similiarities in "Legend":

1. A small talking blinking light of a fairy follows our main hero, Jack.

2. Jack is a forest boy. Not an elf, but even if he looks like one, he is still a mortal human.

3. Jack's love, Lili, gets captured by the main villain, Darkness. (Zelda, captured by Ganon.)

4. Darkness can only be defeated by the power of light (Ganondorf getting hit by the magical balls of light which you have to hit back and forth with your sword in the final battle.)

5. According to the Reviewers from IMDB, something that might interest you after watching this movie would be, "The Legend of Zelda Movie" Proof: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/

I'll try and think of others later. But this really got me thinking, considering that there is now two Zelda games that are similiar to other games/movies which they might've been based off of.

Posted

Interesting.I've even heard this said before...I'll have to check the movie out.Nice find.

Posted

Wow. That's weird.

Posted

Yeah, that is weird.

Posted

Those are all some pretty generic plot devices (especially #3 and #4) so I can see why they would be shared.

Posted

In the movie "Zelda" throws a ring into the river and in OOT Zelda throws the ocarina into the river >_>

Posted

In the movie "Zelda" throws a ring into the river and in OOT Zelda throws the ocarina into the river >_>

Right! Another fairly close similiarity. ('Knew I was forgetting a few.)

It's times like this when I want to talk to Shigeru M. himself and aks a few questions regarding this.

Posted

And you're forgetting about getting the sword from that... place.

I never noticed that before O_o shows how closely I pay attention to things...

Posted

And you're forgetting about getting the sword from that... place.

Well I guess that part could be considered as somewhat of a similiarity, but lots of other movies have parts like that, and it wasn't really incredibly close to OoT, considering that he went into a cave and was told by Una (the "Navi" of the movie) to take the sword.

Posted

That movie is awesome. I remember watching it as a kid. LOVED the unicorns.

Anyways, I'd agree with the Zelda/Legend theory. Good catch.

Posted

Well, it's a shit movie.

: /

Posted

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. I need to watch that movie again. I haven't seen it in years.

Posted

Well. Most RPGs are generic.

Posted

Well. Most RPGs are generic.

That statement is flawed on so many levels. The only Zelda that was an RPG was Adventure of Link. Second, a movie cannot be a role-playing game.

Posted

When I first saw this topic's title I thought for a second that you were talking about Legend the book, but then I thought 'hang on, OoT is nothing like Legend the book' But yeah, a lot of things are like Legend and Oot because it's your average stock-standard fantasy.

Btw; Legend the book is one of the best books for survival against the odds.

How I love Phyrric Victory...