Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Goron Theory

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been thinking about Gorons lately. Ever wonder why you never see any female Gorons? People have joked that they must all be gay or something, but this is not so. I now present you with Gael's Goron theory.

Most of the Gorons look alike, with the exceptions of the old, the very young, and the Patriarch. They also call each other 'Brother'. This would lead some to the conclusion that all Gorons are male.

Wrong. If I may quote The Lord of the Rings:

"It's true, you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they're often mistaken for dwarf men. This leads to the belief that there are no dwarf women, and that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!"

I believe that this is also the case with the Goron race. The males and females look exactly alike, so none of us can tell the difference. And, if you think about it, Goron women have no breasts because they don't need to have breasts. Gorons eat rocks, so there would be no need for a mother to produce milk for her little Goron baby.

But why do they not call their females 'sister'? I think the reason is that the word 'Brother' simply has a different meaning to the Gorons than it does to humans (or Hylians). It probably just means 'fellow Goron' or 'Goron friend', as opposed to 'male child who was also born of my parents'.

This last one is a puzzler. How do Gorons reproduce? Now, we've already seen that they eat rocks, so this counts against them being mammals. But some of them have hair on their heads, which would point to being mammals. But what conclusion does this lead to? We have yet to see a pregnant Goron. Perhaps they lay eggs? I don't think there is really an answer to this one.

Posted

I've seen a similar theory to this, except it was more explained.

See, Gorons have mammary glands, which is an exclusively mammal trait. They must produce some kind of milk. However, Gorons could have primary reproductive organs, (Pelvic organs) but no secondary sex characteristics. (Swollen breasts, wide shoulders for men, etc. etc.)

Gorons also call human females "brother", which adds to your theory.

Sahaqiel

Posted

In which game did a Goron call a human female "brother"? I don't remember seeing that. Was it Phantom Hourglass?

Posted

Probably not. I don't remember that in PH.

This is an interesting topic. Maybe they're asexual? (Kidding)

Posted

I believe it was Twilight Princess.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I don't remember that... but it has been a while. Was the goron calling Midna "brother"?

Posted

Midna never appeared in front of anyone besides Link and Zelda, so I don't think it was her.

But I still don't see why Gorons need mammary glands. They're raised on milk, but when they're older they eat rocks..? Seems a little odd.

Posted

I once learned about a fish that changes from male to female after it has sex. So maybe it like that, but instead of turning male to female, it can turn female to male.

Ok I honestly think that's stupid, but it's a thought.

Posted

Maybe they're like phoenixes. When one dies, another is born from their ashes -er, rocks.

But Darunia has a son. . .

Posted

Bears eat rocks too, it helps with their hibernation. Eating rocks does not show whether an animal is a mammal. Maybe their reproductive organs are hidden and only come out when needed?

Since darunia has a son I think its safe to assume they reproduce in a similar way to humans and since there were no eggs or mention of eggs, chances are they are mammals too.

Posted

The true answer shall never be known until an M rated LoZ is released. It would be a cross between God of War and Okami, only with a Princess named Zelda -- and a Triforce -- and Link.

Theory of my own -

The rock mines are more valuble to them than you think, they mine a special rock from within to be their children. The only rock mine in Hyrule was the one on Death Mountain, when Hrule was flooded, so too was the source of their childbearing rock. Thus, their numbers decreased.

As for why this isn't spoken of? Such a secret had to be closely guarded, if anyone were to know that the survival of their race hinged on a couple mines across the world, then by-by Gorons. Ganondorf had the Gorons by the balls, so to speak.

Posted

I've been thinking about Gorons lately. Ever wonder why you never see any female Gorons? People have joked that they must all be gay or something, but this is not so. I now present you with Gael's Goron theory.

Most of the Gorons look alike, with the exceptions of the old, the very young, and the Patriarch. They also call each other 'Brother'. This would lead some to the conclusion that all Gorons are male.

Wrong. If I may quote The Lord of the Rings:

"It's true, you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they're often mistaken for dwarf men. This leads to the belief that there are no dwarf women, and that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!"

I believe that this is also the case with the Goron race. The males and females look exactly alike, so none of us can tell the difference. And, if you think about it, Goron women have no breasts because they don't need to have breasts. Gorons eat rocks, so there would be no need for a mother to produce milk for her little Goron baby.

But why do they not call their females 'sister'? I think the reason is that the word 'Brother' simply has a different meaning to the Gorons than it does to humans (or Hylians). It probably just means 'fellow Goron' or 'Goron friend', as opposed to 'male child who was also born of my parents'.

This last one is a puzzler. How do Gorons reproduce? Now, we've already seen that they eat rocks, so this counts against them being mammals. But some of them have hair on their heads, which would point to being mammals. But what conclusion does this lead to? We have yet to see a pregnant Goron. Perhaps they lay eggs? I don't think there is really an answer to this one.

What context are you using this, are you referring to humans as Hylians or are you referring to both Homo Sapiens and Hylians?

Posted

Better than the dwarf comparison, is the comparison to Stonedar and his race from The Masters of the Universe. Is anyone here a big He-Man fan?

Posted (edited)

I've just looked at the question on how undeveloped Kokiri reproduce... and looked at this one as well.

This is my conclusion. Unlike Hylians and Zoras, Kokiri and Goron are more primitive organisms. Kokiri and Goron are created by the natural forces. A landslide colliding with a volcano might create Gorons, Kokiri could be created in spontaneous mutations between plants... something like that or perhaps they are developed though they only appear children and do reproduce in a plant fashion. I know it's crazy but it's not the real world after all. :wacko:

In short Gorons and Kokiri could be seen as elementals, they just exist by the will of nature. (If you've played RPGs, you'll know what I mean)

To tie it into more Zelda Lore terms, when Farore breathed life into the world, it may have effected some of the rocks and plants creating Gorons and Kokiri.

Edited by Shining Shield (see edit history)

Posted

I know it's not Canon but in the OoT Magna They showed a Female Gorn with a baby & it looked just like the males maybe only other Gorons can tell plys in TP Gorons wear pants