Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When and how did you first discover Zelda?

75 posts in this topic

Posted

I played the first one when I was 2 and I forgot when I was 5, saw OoT and wanted it and my mom said no. 5 years later I got my second game cube and OoT was in the collectors addition.

Was it fate?

why did she say no? :huh:

~~~

well my story of how i got into zelda is a very kleptomaniacal one with traits of violence, deception, trickery, romance, a car chase, theft, a near death experience and a bar of almond-scented soap, but i'll save that story for another time. :)

Posted

why did she say no? :huh:

When I was 5 I couldn't read very well and she said "You'll need me to read everything to you and I won't do it." I got PO'ed at her then got it 5 years later. :unsure:

Posted

I went over to my friends house not long after OoT was releasaed, and one of her siblings was playing OoT. I became interested right away, and asked if I could play it for a bit. I thought the game was really good even though I didn't finish it. Not long after I left her house, I borrowed some Zelda games from my brother-in-law, and I became a fan of the series right away, and still am to this day. Simple as that.

Posted

Alright here we go....down a trip on memory lane.

When I was about 5 years old, my grandpa died. I was 5 years old, so it didn't have that big of an impact on me, since I hadn't known him that long. Well, he had left almost all of his stuff to my mom, and an NES was included in that. They gave that to me, along with a couple of games my grandpa had. One of these was the Legend of Zelda.

I became obsessed. Hooked. Enamored. I loved the game beyond reason. My mom would have to call me like 31324321 times to dinner, and then came down and shut off the game so I would come up and eat. They finally realized that I was obsessed, and bought the Adventure of Link for me and some old game retailer.

So, my first and second video games that I ever had were LoZ games. No wonder I'm completely hooked.

Posted

Zelda's been a part of my life even when I didnt even know what the hell it was. It all started when I was 3 years old. My dad and I went to my cousin's house to play games and such. When we got there my cousin Max was watching my uncle play Ocarina of Time. I didnt know what the heck it was, but I was completely mesmerized. I distinctly remember he was at the part after defeating Barinade. When we had to leave, I made my uncle let us borrow it. xD We got home really late, but I refused to go to bed. I watched him play my uncle's file. He got to the Bottom of the Well at around 12 AM. Lucky me. xD He got to the 'Dead Hand' (the think with the arms sticking out of the ground.) And I was terrified, but I couldnt stop watching! xD Dad got Link got killed and I proceed to cry and run off to my room. (I was three, 'cmon!) Since then, I'd frequently have night mares about it.

Two years later at another visit to my cousin's, I watched Max beat the game. I had forgotten all about the game and all this time I still didnt know what it was called! xD So four years later, (I was 9) Zelda came back to me. I was at a friends house and I played and got through the Deku Tree. I had never seen that part, so I thought nothing of it. But when I got home, I started looking up Zelda stuff and fell in Love with the game. I got mom to get it from ebay for my tenth birthday. When the game came in the mail, It literally was the happest day of my life. xD I got to Jabu-Jabu and the memories came flooding back. I even made my own little Deku Shield and Rupees out of cardboard. xD I dressed up as Link too, and ran around outside killing imaginary monstaers.

After I beat the dead hand, I no longer had nightmares about it. :P Interesting, no? But, thats how it all started for me. Perhaps it was fate, Like YLA Addict.

Wow....Looooong post there. xD

Posted

I don't know how I discovered Zelda... =O My first Zelda game was Oracle of Seasons, but I knew about it far before this for some reason. An old friend of mine from way back (whom I haven't seen in the past few years) would say something of Zelda every once in a while, though I knew nothing of it. Later on, I went with my family to some barbecue at some person's house (Lololololol), and they had an N64, complete with Super Mario 64, some pod-racing Star Wars game based on Episode 1, and a game that said "ZELDA" in big letters on the front. I didn't notice the last one until after I discovered how much I failed at Super Mario 64 at that time. When I saw it, I remembered, "=OO. My friend said something 'bout this." So I played Ocarina of Time, which turned out to be the first Zelda game I'd ever played. Didn't get much time with it, though. =(

Later on, I got a Game Boy Color for Christmas with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (the original Super Mario Bros. game with lots of extras and such- this sparked my interest in Mario), and I bought Oracle of Seasons eventually. Ages followed because of my love for Seasons, and thus I became a Zelda fan.

Posted

I started really play it on the game cube but I first time I played it was at my neigbours house at a SNES When I didn't care what I was playing :P

Posted

a friend of mine told me about zelda.

Posted (edited)

For my first christmas my dads friend gave me a N64 and it came with OOT and it was my first viedo game

And i was 3 so i asked my mom to read everything and my dad loves Zelda i have a real master sword

Edited by Link360 (see edit history)

Posted

In the late 80's we got a used NES from a friend. Among the games we got were Super Mario/Duck Hunt, Paperboy, 3D World Runner, Megaman and The Legend of Zelda. Out of all of them Mario and Zelda were the ones I played. A friend Jason Brewer (Rest in peace Jayce) Had Link 2 for his and I didn't like it as much. A few years later I had the choice to go for a SNES or a Sega Genesis (I chose Sega and have regreted that ever since) A kid in my neighborhood had an SNES and ATTP, a game that reignited my love of Zelda after Link 2 dimmed it. A few years later I bought an N64 from money I made on a paper route and after renting OoT for almost a month I bought it (still have it BTW). I remember playing it one day I looked at my clock and it read 10:30 PM, I said to myself "Another half hour and it's time for bed" the next 5hing I knew the sun was rising, I had played all night! And soon after that I bought MM as well (still have it to). Then gamecube came out and WW was given to me for my birthday. Then the best day in the history of Zelda happened, Wiiday, the day i triumphantly strolled out of Wal-mart Wii in hand along with TP. It took me days to beat it.

Oh I completly forgot handhelds. Zelda OoS was mine (OoA was my nephews). Bought Lttp/4 swords, and Minish cap and Phantom Hourglass. as well as NES classic Zelda. Never played LA though. I've been a Zelda fan since before a good deal of users here have been alive.

Posted

My brother, who's seven years older, got OOT, and the walkthrough. My mum would read the walkthrough to my brother as he played, and I would sit and watch. It was the most mind-blowing experience of my life (well, I was four.). We'd all sit down as a family and play OOT together after dinner (and Nintendo say they've only just tapped into the family gaming market). I watched and watched him, even when it was eleven o' clock and he played it on the top bunk, I'd find a comfortable position on the support pole and watch him until the early hours. I had a VERY stiff neck in the mornings.

But, yeah, that's how I discovered Zelda. When it was over I cried for a day. Then started it myself. Still haven't completed it. I'll do it one day. Maybe.

Posted

Holy crap, I feel old, my first experience with zelda, was when ALTTP was RELEASED on SNES, holy crap, then i did both the NES games, all before n64 was even a thought......1991.....gah. goodnight

Posted

wow. what a nice topic to say hey in, hey. hey relean. ( i faintly remember u :P )

but yer, onto the topic.

cant remember what year, cant be bothered looking up ~ but the year OOT came out... well the day infact, my dad bought me it, including a Nintendo64, and it was my very first game+console i ever played. a great day in my life.

Posted

I played MM at Wal-Mart. XD

Posted

I got laid by link.