Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When and how did you first discover Zelda?

75 posts in this topic

Posted

I got Zelda 2 for NES just because the cartridge cover was GOLD!!!! It must be awesome, or else they wouldn't put it in a GOLD cartridge? Well, it damn was!!

Posted

When I was five, I was looking through our games cupboard, and found Zelda OOT. My sister (13 at the time, lol) told me "It's a really hard game and you're never going to win it". Well, I proved her damn wrong.

Posted

My brother was playing OoT when I was 4 or 5 and I said "Whats that?" He said, "Legend of zelda" Then I said, "Can I try?" Then my brother said "When Im done" Then he finished. I basically hung around Korkiri Forest, careless of saving Zelda.

Posted

So for Christmas back in 1994(this makes me feel old), my dad was wondering what to get me and my sisters

and so my aunt says, "electronic games are great, they're really good for kids to try"

so my dad goes and gets us each a gameboy and one game

he got my oldest sister Yogibears gold rush

my other sister Kirby's Dreamland

and he got me The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening

but since I was two, I didn't understand the concept, gave up after the second dungeon

then in about 1999, we were digging through our old stuff, and I happened to find it,( by now our brick gameboys were dead, i had a GBC)(i miss my brick) so I decided to try it, since I just finished pokemon yellow version,

by the time I again beat the second dungeon, I was tottally hooked, but since I was five, I didn't get how to get to the third dungeon, and so, after a while i got into OOT, and then finnaly when I was seven, I was finnaly smart enough to finish LA, and has since then became my favorite game, and I can complete it 100% in about 5 hours of play

Posted

Erm... lesse... My dad had a NES (I still have one) and that was one of the games he would let me play.. I kinda grew up on it..

Posted

The first time I ever saw Zelda was the commercial for OoT, when I was young, and then i played about 10 years later when my sister's friend brought it over, but the first game i owned was, Wind Waker which i got for my 13th birthday

Posted

My first Zelda was LoZ, but I played it when I was really young and didn't quite have the reflexes to dodge them annoying Armos Knights and Wizzrobes, so I ignored Zelda for a few years... but then I came across the LTTP when I was visiting at a friend's. I finished up to the first dungeon and got the first pendant, and I was hooked. Unfortunately I couldn't keep playin cuz my friend's mom kicked us all out of the house to play outside (damn parents), so I bided my time and saved up for a SNES and LTTP. Once I got it, I didn't play at first and stayed outside and played late. I came in and went to bed late on purpose, so when my mom came to wake me up the next morning, I looked ROUGH. She thought I was sick, so she left me with my grandmother and went to work. Grandma never came upstairs much; and she was loud enough on the stairs that I heard her coming and was able to shut everything off in time.

So two days of faking sick later and a missed spelling test (it's ok, my grammar/spelling was epic in those days), I finally beat LTTP.

Heh, my 3-5 day adventure of Zelda 64 is another great story for another time... let's just say it involved a week suspension from school and parents that didn't know how to successfully hide video game systems from me :P

Posted (edited)

sorry, what's LTTP? :embarrassed:

EDIT: nevermind, got it

Edited by hero_of_lame (see edit history)

Posted

LTTP = Link & Tetra's Triforce Problem

:)

Posted

i got my 64 Christmas 1998 with Banjo Kazooie (i was gonna get a PS1 but wanted BK-best decision of my life) anyway i had a friend who had OoT and he brought it to my house one day, we started a new file and played through to Dodongo's Cavern.

Sometime later another friend borrowed my copy of Mario 64 and lost it, so in the meantime lent me his copy of OoT (they were just starting the Deku Tree) i gave it back a week or two later (completed). Then got my own copy for Christmas in 1999. There is no better game than Ocarina Of Time.

Posted

Back in the final days of the GBC, I picked up OoX. I beat them both, exchanged hero codes, beat both again, and ever since, it's become tradition to beat both four times over the summer.

I wasn't savvy to the awesomeness of Zelda until I started on Wind Waker, by which time I had picked up scraps of knowledge from Godknowswhere.

Seriously, I can't remember why I knew so much about other installments. I was a strict Pok

Posted

My Mom Started Playing Before I Was Born And When I Was Born I ALWAYSFollowed Her So When She Wanted To Play OoT I Saw Her I Thought It Was Cool. I Learned How To Use A Controler And Thats When I Became A Zelda Addict. All This At The Age 0 :gottriforce:

Posted

My uncle showed me LoZ OoT, I was like 4 and loved it so much I was always scared of the redeads XD funny stuff when MM came out i got the limited edition gold one :)

Posted

Discover it?

I was in the room when they thought of it.

Posted

I had to be around ten when I first came into contact with Zelda.

I had been a subscriber to Nintendo Power for some time and read a bit about a new game coming out called "Ocarina of Time". I only knew about Zelda previously because a friend of mine who attended the same after school "daycare" service was a big fan. He spent so much time telling me about the older games (very little that I remember specifically) and even once tried to convince me that the origin story of Hyrule was how our world came about. He didn't convince me. :P He left that daycare and to this day I've never seen him again, but the day he left I got my Nintendo Power with the OoT cover story. It was pretty depressing.

But, the story doesn't end there. While shopping with my mom at a department store (I REALLY wish I remembered which one) that was having it's "going out of business" sale I happened to notice the game when we were in the electronics department. I distinctly remember looking up at my mother (really, I have this viewpoint of me being around four feet tall) and asking her if I could get it. The game was on sale from it's ludicrously high price of $70 (N64 games were expensive back in the day) to a reasonable price of $30. My mom said ok and the rest is history.

Ocarina of Time was and is today the more entertaining and involving experience I've had with a game. Obviously I was ten and that means that my imagination did a lot of the work, but I don't cheapen that statement because of my age or my nostalgia. I can still play the game and still feel that same old feeling and to me that's well enough. It's too bad so many new fans hear all the praise of it and then play it with the age intact. Silly notions about graphics being too old or the gameplay being too stiff. Rubbish. I feel old and I'm not even quite twenty yet. :P