What games are you playing currently?

1908 posts in this topic

Posted

I love Earthbound but it and Final Fantasy II have maps so bad I can't stand to replay either game no matter how much I love them. All the maps in Earthbound are really cool looking but you get tired of navigating the same labyrinth style caves and paths with lots of branches. 

Posted

Here's a few quick common criticisms for the game that you should know before you play it. No spoilers, don't worry:

• The game plays itself. I mean it doesn't really, but all of the challenging bits only come late in the game. For say, 66% of the game, it's very forgiving.
  • The plot is just absurd. Typical Generic Anime Cool-rather-than-sensible absurd. Things will happen that are a ton of fun and cool to look at, but this game is skin deep.
  • You have to buy the end of the game as DLC. No, really. Asura's Wrath is told in 22 episodes, and 19-22 have to be bought for $7. I know selling games used is a real problem for games studios, but this isn't the solution.

If you can get beyond all of that, like I did, then you'll probably have an actually pretty enjoyable experience. I actually enjoyed this game a lot, and would play it again if I had the means to. I'm just annoyed that they actually make you pay for the ending of the game.

Yeah actually they were planning on making Asura's Wrath 2 but the first one didnt sell well enough. Thanks for the tips! it sounds exactly as expected. (I plan to play really stonned so that first point is great. and the second!)

Posted

I love Earthbound but it and Final Fantasy II have maps so bad I can't stand to replay either game no matter how much I love them. All the maps in Earthbound are really cool looking but you get tired of navigating the same labyrinth style caves and paths with lots of branches.

I bought Final Fantasy 2 recently for GBA. So it's really good? And annoying?

Posted

Final Fantasy 2 has the most open ended job system bar none. It's like the Elder Scrolls games except you level literally everything by using it (getting hit makes you gain max HP, attacking physically gives you a point in Strength, using a sword makes your weapon proficiency with blades increase, even individual spells level up so you can become more efficient at casting fire to get fira/firaga level damage in exchange for not having those spells actually in the game). You really can make a character that's good at literally anything you want, you can model them after traditional jobs or just make your own up (A lightly armored staff and shield user with status-inflicting magics, a clothes-wearing white magic-using monk, an armored 'dark knight' that uses sword/axe and black magic). The sky's the limit really, it's awesome.

Of course that comes with the responsibility of managing literally everything as well. There aren't actual level-ups in II, just stat-ups for everything, so you're required to keep track of the stat-gaining progress of every character and make sure they're not lagging behind in the stats they need to cast their magic (either the Intelligence they need to increase damage, the Magic stat they need to increase their MP gains per stat-up, or the MP stat itself used to determine how much magic they can cast, or even the level of the spells you've taught them that determine damage/effectiveness of the spell). Of course this also applies to physical weapon damage which doesn't have an MP equivalent to worry about but is nonetheless governed by Strength and your proficiency in the type of weapon you're using (shields included). Basically, it's a lot to keep in mind especially if you want to make a lot of dual physical/magical characters.

And yeah, the game keeps you on your toes with dungeons and monsters that are tough as nails. Pretty much every dungeon has a common enemy that was the boss of a recent dungeon, and everything else you can encounter either has some way of inflicting death/petrification/ something that'll kill you quickly or just plain hits hard. And the dungeons themselves... they're not too big, but you have dead ends and, even worse, "trap rooms" where you're teleported to the center of a small square room with an exit to the south and a random enemy encounter rate so high you'll be running into all those old boss enemies every step you take. The game stays consistently difficult throughout so you better be prepared for everything even when you're just going over to the next town (even some of the overworld enemies can really tear into you if you go too far from the path to the next objective).

Overall it's a very challenging game with the awesome reward of letting you tackle it in about a million different ways. Oh, and you can always easy-mode by giving Firion a teleport spell and just leveling it up to 6 or so, then cast it on everything for instant victory against anything that isn't  a significant boss battle. Lots of exploits like that if you just want to follow the (only really good for a NES game) story. So yeah, to an extent you decide how hard the game is too. Overall one of my favorites in the series even though a lot of people dislike it.

Chase likes this

Posted

Oh cool. I didn't know any of that. I've never actually played a FF game before

Posted

I like 2. It's easy to abuse the battle system though. Just hit each other a bunch and heal and you will have tons of HP.

Posted

What do you mean?

Oh also I felt like a genius in Earthbound. I was getting puppyed up in Stonehenge Base. Mostly from backtracking and stuff. I couldn't find any real use for Poo besides Starstorm. So I was having a tough time until I started Mirroring the Atomic Power Robots in the dungeon. They do baby damage and heal allies 100%. So I would kill its cohorts so that I'm just farming HP from it then I'd run away. :D

Posted

Yeah I forgot to mention, Final Fantasy II doesn't discriminate between hitting allies or enemies when deciding to give you stat/weapon/spell proficiency increases. This means you can beat up your teammates and heal them while battling something like a goblin or a hornet and it'll almost guarantee you an increase in at least HP and Stamina (the stat that decides how much Max HP you get when your HP stat increases). This lets you get tons of HP early in the game, and if you attack each other with spells you get high Max MP and Magic (same as Stamina, but with MP increases). I've done a runthrough of the game where I fully abused the stat gaining system and ended up with a 9999/999 HP/MP Firion with a level 16 (highest possible level for a spell) Teleport that instantly killed most anything, all before the first dungeon. Final Fantasy II is extremely abusable like that.

Teto likes this

Posted

Lol. I wanna do that. I think I will.

Posted

If you do, the other thing you'll probably want is the Swap spell, purchased in Mysidia. To put it simply, use it on a goblin and then win the fight and you're pretty much guaranteed a boost to HP, MP, Magic, and Stamina each fight. Just make sure you don't get all your character's HP/MP really high early game; inns increase their prices based on the difference between max HP/MP and current HP/MP, so you'll be charged more money than you can get from battles just to stay a night at the inn.

I think there's a power-leveling walkthrough somewhere out there you can look into for getting the finer details.

Posted

FF 3 is the only FF ive played, besides the MMORPGs, 11 and 14. I played the DS version and i really really enjoyed it because you can change your characters' job/class at any time, and you have four of them so you can mix and match to your hearts content! Not to mention, the graphics and character designs were super cute. I remember I couldnt beat this fly boss who, i think, only attacked every couple of turns but then would hit hard. So I had a bard and 3 dragoons. Buffed the dragoons with music for a few turns, then made them all "jump" and when they came down like literally it was over for the boss. I only had one turn of attacking but it was all i needed with those bard buffs. One of the most satisfying boss battles ive ever experienced.

Posted

Mighty_Switch_Force_Hyper_Drive_Edition_

1.jpg

Mighty Switch Force is a serious game about capturing escaped criminal scum

Posted

might_switch_force_2_characters.jpg

Mighty Switch Force 2 is a serious game about rescuing reformed criminal scum from burning buildings. Also you can rescue babies, Cascade style

tumblr_n4v4d8NVFJ1stinsfo1_500.gif

pheonix561 and Knuckle like this

Posted

My computer is trash for most stuff and I've been itching like crazy to play guild wars 2 again. Ugh it's an awful rash at this point, the unscratchable itch!! The first expansion just came out, or is about to at least. Like seriously the best mmorpg out there imo. It rewards you for playing anyway you want, and I loved exploring every corner of that world that I could! There are so many secrets hidden everywhere!! Literally the best. I wish I had a cute boy to explore it with lol.

Posted

picked up alpha sapphire again. trying to fill the hoenn dex