Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask GB

104 posts in this topic

Posted

Considering the fact that we're not getting any programmers that can currently program in C++, I guess we're switching over to GM for programming.

@Sahaqiel: I need help, so I guess the multi-tunic thing is scrapped. (but, out of curiosity, how would that rend MM's mechanics in half?)

Posted

I can't ind any more help for this project, so consider it in hibernation mode until I can.

Posted

Don't worry, almost all projects do this.

Posted

I'm learning C++ with SDL. As long as you're putting the project into hibernate, I might be ready to code when you bring it back. That is, if you would prefer to code in a real language than Game Maker, because I think this could be ported to other systems that don't support GM.

Posted

I could probably do everything except code. I was bored and also made some MIDI files of the Deku Palace theme and the Song of Healing.

[url="http://www.sendspace.com/file/vym7sn"]Deku Palace[/url]
[url="http://www.sendspace.com/file/5bulie"]Song of Healing[/url]

Posted

Need a beta tester to find any glitches or to test out level layouts?

Posted

[quote name='Alex Arbiter' post='225594' date='Jun 7 2009, 10:54 AM']Need a beta tester to find any glitches or to test out level layouts?[/quote]

I'm not accepting Beta-Testers yet, but feel free to ask again when I am. (Which will be in approximately.... however long it takes us to finish enough of the game to at least make a beta. xD) If you like, I'll send you a PM when I open Beta Tester sign-ups.

@Sevengill: Both files are awesome, but I can't help but feel that maybe the Deku Palace MIDI is an octave or two lower than it should be. It's still awesome work, though. :D Feel free to submit more so that I don't have to search for them or end up making them myself with my n00b MIDI creation skillz. xD (Excellent job on the Song of Healing - it sounds absolutely perfect. You've already earned a place a place in the credits, and you're not even on the team yet. :joy: Unless, of course, you want to be.)

@Aethix: Really? That'd be very helpful, as I don't really like GameMaker, and am not very proficient withh it due to my dislike of the program in general. :embarrassed: Please let me know when you feel like you are ready for coding in C++.

@Padraig!: Oh, ok. That makes me feel a little bit better. XD

Posted

Well, I think I have found a bridge between C++ and game maker.

As you already know, GM is only supported for Windows. YoYogames want to make versions for mac and linux, and are coding the WHOLE THING AGAIN in C++. This will allow C++ programmers (like Aethix and Myself) to be able to work with GM programmers with no compatability issues.

:D

Posted

[quote name='Padraig!' post='226404' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:49 AM']Well, I think I have found a bridge between C++ and game maker.

As you already know, GM is only supported for Windows. YoYogames want to make versions for mac and linux, and are coding the WHOLE THING AGAIN in C++. This will allow C++ programmers (like Aethix and Myself) to be able to work with GM programmers with no compatability issues.

:D[/quote]

*imitates Napoleon Dynamite* Yessss! Well, that DOES make recruiting easier. Well, once it's finished. T_T

Posted

Well, since I can't do any coding yet, the least I can do is input a few suggestions.

First, the Game Boy has a rather odd resolution compared to most computer screens. Could we make it more like NES resolution?

Second, I think we may have to scrap the rolling sprites. With only two buttons for action commands, that will probably end up being mapped to items, we won't have an extra button for "rolling".

Instead of mapping masks to buttons (since we only have two buttons for items, and one of them will probably be mapped to the sword most of the time) we should have the masks equipped in the menu instead.

Posted

[quote name='Aethix' post='226649' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:45 AM']First, the Game Boy has a rather odd resolution compared to most computer screens. Could we make it more like NES resolution?

Second, I think we may have to scrap the rolling sprites. With only two buttons for action commands, that will probably end up being mapped to items, we won't have an extra button for "rolling".

Instead of mapping masks to buttons (since we only have two buttons for items, and one of them will probably be mapped to the sword most of the time) we should have the masks equipped in the menu instead.[/quote]
NES resolution but GB sprites/images/etc makes the most sense.

I'm fine with that.

A/B could be used for sword and item, and select for the mask?

Posted

How about Select automatically brings up the menu with the mask select pane in it?

Posted

I'm in a very helpful mood today, so you can put me down for music.

Posted

I may can share some free space for webhosting?
I don't think that is needed... but if so, I hopefully can set it up. (myadminphp doesn't work probably... in apache, yet...)

I may also can help with some spiriting...

I'll try to random help with things if needed. :)

Posted

A question that must be considered is what the target system is. If it's going to be on PC only, then it could have more than just two buttons. If it's going to be ported to DS via homebrew card (R4, etc.), it can have four buttons, left and right bumpers, and start/select. If it's actually going to be ported to GBA homebrew (which isn't exactly easy, I've heard), it should probably just have two buttons.

Also, there are so aspects of control that are going to be a bit challenging to move from the 3D game to 2D. The stone tower, for example. It relied heavily on the hookshot to move up the area that lead to the dungeon, which could prove difficult in 2D, not to mention the fact that there were parts where had to jump down to a lower level to complete a puzzle.

If that is going to be carried over to the GB version, the best idea I can think of is a pseudo-depth system, where objects on a lower level are blurrier than objects on the level above them. I'll try and mock up an example of what I mean, but I don't have time right at this moment, so I'll leave it at the proposition.

The pseudo-depth method would allow for this project to hold a bit more faithful to the original, but it doesn't solve the problem of getting to things that are above Link. I think it could still work, though. There are other problems I'm thinking of, such as the underwater portion of the water temple (where you collect eggs), but that could all be solved by simply forcing the player to put on the Zora mask before even attempting it, and then having the same controls as on the ground, just with the Zora sprites instead.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself and the project. I guess you can put me down to help with the control mechanics, if you so desire, as I seem to be doing that anyway without being assigned the job.