Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tokyo Highway Lineart

12 posts in this topic

Posted

In Morse High School Seminar, we have what we call Creative Expressions. What it is, is basically what the title implies: we use our creativity to express ourselves in any way we choose--photography, sculpture, painting, movie presentations, etc.

This is my Creative Expression for October 2007 (or at least the line-art for it). It's a drawing of a busy street in Shibuya, Tokyo in front of the trendy Shibuya 109. It's called Tokyo Highway (officially 東京ハイウエイ Tokyo Haiuei). Its titled was inspired by my Japanese teacher, Hasegawa-sensei. When someone is moving or speaking at a slow pace, she says, "Tokyo Highway!" as to say "Hurry up!"

The lines on the street are supposed to be light streams a la a distorted photograph (it'll show up better in the final colored version). Also, the signs read (in no particular order; it's up to you to match the Romaji translation with the in-picture Kanji/Katakana):

-My name

-Zeruda <3 Rinku (Romanization of Zelda <3 Link, referencing my love for anything Zelink)

-Tokyo (capital of Japan)

-Ichi, ni, san, shi, go (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

-Hasegawa (the last name of my Japanese teacher)

-Mario (of Super Mario fame)

-Buriichi (the Romanization of my favorite anime/manga Bleach)

-My last name (it shows up twice)

-Nihon (Japan)

-Mizu (Water)

-Kurosaki Ichigo (the main character of Bleach)

-Moosu (Romanization of Morse, the name of my school)

-San Djiiego (Romanization of San Diego, my hometown)

-Kariforunia (Romanization of California, my home state)

-Amerika (Romanization of America)

-Pureisuteeshon (Romanization of Playstation)

Posted

In Morse High School Seminar, we have what we call Creative Expressions. What it is, is basically what the title implies: we use our creativity to express ourselves in any way we choose--photography, sculpture, painting, movie presentations, etc.

This is my Creative Expression for October 2007 (or at least the line-art for it). It's a drawing of a busy street in Shibuya, Tokyo in front of the trendy Shibuya 109. It's called Tokyo Highway (officially 東京ハイウエイ Tokyo Haiuei). Its titled was inspired by my Japanese teacher, Hasegawa-sensei. When someone is moving or speaking at a slow pace, she says, "Tokyo Highway!" as to say "Hurry up!"

The lines on the street are supposed to be light streams a la a distorted photograph (it'll show up better in the final colored version). Also, the signs read (in no particular order; it's up to you to match the Romaji translation with the in-picture Kanji/Hiragana):

-My name

-Zeruda <3 Rinku (Romanization of Zelda <3 Link, referencing my love for anything Zelink)

-Tokyo (capital of Japan)

-Ichi, ni, san, shi, go (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

-Hasegawa (the last name of my Japanese teacher)

-Mario (of Super Mario fame)

-Buriichi (the Romanization of my favorite anime/manga Bleach)

-My last name (it shows up twice)

-Nihon (Japan)

-Mizu (Water)

-Kurosaki Ichigo (the main character of Bleach)

-Moosu (Romanization of Morse, the name of my school)

-San Djiiego (Romanization of San Diego, my hometown)

-Kariforunia (Romanization of California, my home state)

-Amerika (Romanization of America)

-Pureisuteeshon (Romanization of Playstation)

interesting.I wish I didn't suck at drawing lol.Very good drawing Joshizzle.

Posted

interesting.I wish I didn't suck at drawing lol.Very good drawing Joshizzle.

Thanks! :embarrassed: I'm thinking of doing another drawing of Shibuya just for the fun of it (maybe

), but with a fish-eye lens perspective to add a nice spin on it.

Posted

Thanks! :embarrassed: I'm thinking of doing another drawing of Shibuya just for the fun of it (maybe
), but with a fish-eye lens perspective to add a nice spin on it.

You could have anime/manga characters crossing the street instead of random people lol.

Posted

You could have anime/manga characters crossing the street instead of random people lol.

That'd be pretty cool, but then that's a whole lot of people to draw (have you SEEN the video!??!).

If anything, I might minimize pictures of family members and friends and paste them into the intersection. This past Seminar student replicated the School of Athens (as in she painted her own replica and it came out exactly like the real thing) and replaced all the philosophers with pictures of then Seminar students.

Posted

That'd be pretty cool, but then that's a whole lot of people to draw (have you SEEN the video!??!).

If anything, I might minimize pictures of family members and friends and paste them into the intersection. This past Seminar student replicated the School of Athens (as in she painted her own replica and it came out exactly like the real thing) and replaced all the philosophers with pictures of then Seminar students.

YEAH IT'S ALOT oF PEOPLE!!!

I know i've seen that athens pic somewhere....I think it's in my social studies book.

'checks'

yep.

Posted

This is the pen outline of the buildings. All the major details--building windows, the signs, the crowds, the cars and the light streams--have been taken out so I could focus on the buildings. But they'll reappear in the final version, so just sit tight for that.

There are some differences from the original sketch, especially on the right side. The buildings there have been altered so that it gives a more panoramic perspective.

Posted

This is the complete pen lineart. All details missing in the building lineart (see above) are now included here. All I need is to color it, and I'm done!

Posted

Holy heck thats amazing!!! :D AWESOME lineart! :)

Posted

Holy heck thats amazing!!! :D AWESOME lineart! :)

Thanks! I'm working on the final colored copy right now. All I need is the sky and I'm home free for this month's Creative Expression, though I'm still thinking about doing the second one of the Shibuya scramble crossing.

Posted

Wow! These are amazing! :o

Posted

Wow! These are amazing! :o

Thank you! :D

Here it is, the final version of Tokyo Highway 東京ハイウエイ .

And on a semi-related note, here's what my friend(s) did for a Creative Expression last year (it figures, since my friend who made it wants to be a director).