Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Hit Crew: A Cade Foster Mystery

1 post in this topic

Posted

Chapter One: Hail to the Chief

April Foster's face beamed with pride, young Amanda sat in her arms chewing on a Graham Cracker. "It's loud mommy!" Amanda said covering her ears. "I know baby, hold on a minute." April said.

She was standing among a massive crowd that had gathered outside the Hillman Hotel to see Irene Maxwell, the first female President of the United States of America. "Daddy!" Amanda said smiling. April looked on as her husband, and Cascade Police Psychic Cadence Foster walked past the crowd. "Cade, over here!" April shouted.

Not so much hearing his wife as sensing her Cade looked over at her and walked over. "Hey babe what're you doing here?" he asked. "I wanted April to see the President, why are you here?" Amanda asked. "The Secret Service requested my assistance." Cade said. "The Secret Service, does that mean you get to meet the President?" she asked. "I'm not sure maybe." Cade said. "Do you think you can get us in?" April asked. "Sure why not!" Cade said smiling and tussling his daughters hair. "What do you say kiddo, you want to see the President?" "No I want another cookie!" Amanda said pouting.

Foster looked over at his Secret Service escourt and pointed at his wife, nodding Agent Lee waved him in. "Come on, before he changes his mind!" Foster said jokingly. Foster and his possie walked into the lobby, which was vacant except for the dark suits surrounding the Private Express elevator to the penthouse. "Agent Lee this is my wife April and my daughter Amanda." Agent Lee nodded coldly. "Nice to meet you." he said blankly. "This way." he added leading them to the elevator. "Cade Foster, Cascade PD seer and family for POTUS." Lee said ushering them into the elevator.

The Agent inside, a stern looking woman with a long ponytail swipped the security card and pressed the PH button. As the door closed, Amanda waved at Lee who broke protocol, waved back and smiled. "He is human!" April quipped, generating a chuckle from the Female agent. "How old is she?" the Agent who introduced herself as Sarah Fornell asked. "She's 9 months today." April said. "Nine months and already talking wow!" Agent Fornell said. "Kids are great Agent Fornell, but I don't have to tell you that." April said. "Do you know what you're having yet?" she added.

Sarah Fornell lowered her sunglasses and looked at April. "How did you know, nobody knows." Amanda looked at Cade then at Sarah. "I'm an Psychic Empath sweety, you're broadcasting it loud and clear." Cade nodded in agreement. "Yeah, like a radio even." the elevator came to a stop at the Penthouse level. "Foster, Cascade PD and family exiting elevator." he said, talking into her handmic. "Congratulations." Foster said as the Elevator Doors closed. "Detective Foster, this way." an agent said. "Where are we going exactly?" he asked. "Right this way sir, Director Kirby's expecting you." the Agent said leading him to a door. "Kirby, Kevin Kirby Director of the Secret Service?" Foster asked. The Agent opened the door revealing a large group of people sitting at a confrence table, President Irene Maxwell at it's head. "Cade Foster has arrived, with companions sir." the Agent said.

Cade swollowed hard as he walked in. April could feel his uneasiness and place a reassuring hand on his arm. "ahh thanks for coming Detective Foster." Kirby said holding out his hand. "Do you have any idea why you're here?" He asked. "Not really sir, your Agent wasn't exactly chatty, also he wasn't exactly open." Kirby nodded. "All Secret Service Agents are trained to be less accessable to people such as yourself." Kirby said. "It's ok sir you can say Psychic, it isn't a dirty word."

Kirby sat Foster down. "You're here because..." "I can speak for myself Kevin." a forceful female voice said. "Yes Madam President." Kirby said. "I'll get right to the point Detective." Maxwell said. "I've been getting some threats lately, and against the wishes of Agent Parks I've decided to attent the UN energy conference here in Cascade. Foster looked around. "Where is Wendy?" he asked. "That's right, you know Agent Parks." Irene said. "We both do, since we were kids." he said motioning over to April. "This is my wife April." Foster said smiling. "Nice to meet you Mrs. Foster." Maxwell said beaming. "Madam President it is an honor, you know I was a Gamma at Hollis University too." Irene Maxwell's eyes lit up. "Really well...Go Gamma's!" she said placing her hands on her hips, then lifing her fist into the air.

"And who is this?" she asked cradling Amanda's chin. "This is our daughter Amanda Michelle." she said. "Say something sweety." April said to Amanda. "You want a cracker?" Amanda asked handing the President a cracker. "Oh thank you honey, gut no you keep it!" She said to the kid. "To answer your question, Agent Parks couldn't come on account of food poisoning." Maxwell said. "Before we left she was reading these letters, trying to feel which of the authors might want to harm the President." Kirby said placing them on the table. "Can you finish what she started and select the viable threat?" Kirby added. "Sure, anything you need." Foster said smiling.