Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buffalo

5 posts in this topic

Posted

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence used as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated constructs. It has been discussed in literature since 1972 when the sentence was used by William J. Rapaport, an associate professor at the University at Buffalo.

The sentence is unpunctuated and uses three different readings of the word "buffalo". In order of their first use, these are

Marking each "buffalo" with its use as shown above gives

Buffaloa buffalon Buffaloa buffalon buffalov buffalov Buffaloa buffalon.Thus, the sentence when parsed reads as a description of the pecking order in the social hierarchy of buffaloes living in Buffalo:

[Those] (Buffalo buffalo) [whom] (Buffalo buffalo) buffalo, buffalo (Buffalo buffalo).[Those] buffalo(es) from Buffalo [that are intimidated by] buffalo(es) from Buffalo intimidate buffalo(es) from Buffalo.Bison from Buffalo, New York, who are intimidated by other bison intheir community also happen to intimidate other bison in theircommunity.THE buffalo FROM Buffalo WHO ARE buffaloed BY buffalo FROM Buffalo ALSO buffalo THE buffalo FROM Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia....buffalo_buffalo

This is so awesome. Bahahahaha.

Also,

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

Cool eh? :)

Posted

Shadowknight had/has that in his signature, but it's nice to know what it means now. Coolio.

Posted

That is so awesome

Posted

If I was an English teacher I would be so turn on right now.

Posted

I would not.

But I still like it.