Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PlayStation 3 Hacked.

5 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a little bit old new by now, but for people who don´t watch the scene closely. I am posting this great news.

The PlayStation 3 is as good as hacked by the Hacker who goes under ´Geohot´. He also did manage to hack the Ipod Touch and Iphone.

A lots of respect to this dude, read all about it after the jump.

------

As you might not like to see PS3 / Hacking news on Hyrule.net, I put it under a Hyrule.net Tag, which makes the news Minimize on the Homepage of Hyrule.net.

geohot.png

Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long :)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...follow @geohot on twitter

Source: http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/

Twitter of Geohot: http://twitter.com/geohot

This means we can expect PS3 Mode Homebrew.

In Blu-ray Mode, you already can run Linux, and slowly Emulate Windows into Linux. Can't wait for the PS3 Mode to be opened.

And maybe a Software or Hardware hacks to run backups of our games on our PS3. As PS3 games are very expensive, this really would be cool to see.

But as he stated, he yet has to get the Key before anything will be released publicly.

A Quote from #PS3 at EFNet IRC:

[15:19] <{GZ}dr4ev> is the key in the last core?

[15:19] <+MB> they key being on the 8th core

[15:19] <+MB> spu

[...]

[15:19] <+MB> i mean

[15:20] <Airz> so its near?

[15:20] <+MB> nearer

[...]

[15:20] <+MB> but the hardest part is gettign that key

[15:20] <@_DiGiTaL_> MB but that is HUGE progress

[15:20] <Airz> yeah

[...]

[15:20] <Airz> it is

[15:20] <@_DiGiTaL_> compared to anything attempted before

That's some info that yet only Hyrule.net has posted. :joy: Though, it's just quoted from a IRC chat.

Posted

Uh... I don't understand most of this, but it sounds cool! :joy:

Posted

Good. Finally a reason to get a PS3.

Posted

What does hacking it even do?

Posted

Good. Finally a reason to get a PS3.

What, the built-in Blu-Ray player, great game selection, and great harddrive space for cheaper weren't good reasons?