Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cave of Ordeals

51 posts in this topic

Posted

First, I'd like to take a second and welcome myself to this board as I just found it.

I've read quite a few walkthroughs for the Cave of Ordeals and though I would share a few things I found out that seemed to be missing.

It took me 4 tries, but I finally got through the thing and came out still holding the following: 13 Hearts, 3 Blue potions, 11 Rupies, 11 Bombs, and 43 Arrows. I actually made it to about floor 39 with all of my Hearts intact and still had 4 Blue Potions.

In many of the levels there are flying things: Keese, etc. If you have the patience you can use the Boomerang to bring them up to you. It can take quite a while to do, but on the levels that you can see Z-Lock on to them and bring them up. You usually have to stand fairly close to the edge to target several of them, so make sure to step back a bit after throwing so that if you spin attack the creature when it gets to you you don't fall off the edge. On the levels where there are flying things and it is too dark to see, if you Z-Lock the allowed five times in a general area you have a good chance of drawing something to you. Just spread your groupings out over time and you will eventually get all of the things which leaves you free to face ground enemies unhindered. I have noticed that the fire and ice flying skulls can be very hard to get with the Boomerang, but if you get them close enough to the ledge, if you stand right on the edge they will eventually fly up there themselves like a moth to a flame and you can get a few easy homeruns this way.

On the levels that have Chu (not sure if this is singular and plural, but that's ok), you can snipe them from the balcony with the clawshot. It can take a while to do this, but you don't take any damage and can retrieve Rupies if they drop. On floor 45 stand just inside the range of the archers in the tower and wait until you hear the string release and then move out of the way. It will take a while to do, but you can recover a large percentage of the arrows if you get to them in time. For some reason about 30% of the time the arrow has burned up so much that you can't recover it, but 70% is a lot better than nothing. This can be quite useful if you still have bombs left to pair them with to deal with the upcoming Darknuts. After you have refilled your Quiver, take out one of the archers with the Hawkeye/Bow combo, collect the arrows you used up from the other archer as before, then take the second archer out. You should end up with about 97 arrows depending on your ability to snipe the archer when you are just out of range of being able to actually see him (which means he can't fire at you).

Next, drop down in a corner (I went right) and use the ball-and-chain to take out the Redead that is in range. Once he's out of the way (as long as another one isn't coming at you) use the Clawshot to take out the Chu that drop down. Move on to the next Redead, then the Chu. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Just make sure you don't go into the area below the Rare Chu. Leave him until all the Redeads are toast and the majority of the Chu are piles of leftover Jello. You should take a second to drink one of your potions (to empty the Bottle and refill your Hearts) and then go for the Rare Chu Jelly. There will likely be a couple of other Chu that fall down with the Rare one, but you should have ample time to kill and bottle the Rare one.

Personally, I prefer to take off the Darknut's armor with bomb-arrows, but once you're in the thick of it, if you brought along Bomblings, they seem to be pretty effective at taking off any remaining armor, and may even damage the ones that are already stripped down and much faster, but you have to Z-lock on and for some reason sometimes it tends to lock on to non-existent things, so try not to release them if they will just target a wall as this is a waste. The most effective way to take these guys out in my opinion is to shield bash a time or two and then A-strike as soon as he leaves himself open as he raises his sword back up. Follow up the A-strike with a Spin/Great Spin and it should daze him enough to keep repeating this process as long as you can: A-Strike, Spin, A-Strike, Spin. You have to time it just right, but I think I once got 5 A-Strike, Spin Attack combos in a row on one of them. Of course if there is more than one you might only get one or two combos in before you endanger yourself. If you have 3 coming at you at the same time run away and try and get it so that one of them is closer than the others and use this method. For some reason I just can't get the hang of the Backstrike so I tend not to try it very often. I think I may be continuing to hold the thumbstick after the roll part and subsequently am screwing up my ability to perform the sword strike part. I should practice this some more, but at this point, game over, so I don't really have to become proficient in unnecessary things I guess.

I hope this helps someone as completing the COD gives a sense of satisfaction that defeating Gannondorf fails to do. I killed him off before I finished the Cave of Ordeals and thought the battle with him was a bit anticlimactic. But being one of those people who like to complete everything, I reloaded and went off to find my missing Poes and Heart Pieces. Oh, and I still have that one last fish to catch. Maybe I take a nice long vacation and go fishing this summer in a place where frogs like to sun themselves.

Posted

First off, welcome to hyrule.net!

Second, you might want to see a moderator about integrating your ideas into the cave of ordeals walkthrough we have on the site. You do make some good points.

Posted

I haven't played this game in a while, actually. Did anyone here ever go through the second time and fight all four darknuts at the bottom? It would have been great if they made it so it got harder every time, instead of just the second time.

Posted

If it mentioned the Gale Boomerang trick in there, I'm sorry.

If you use the Gale Boomerang on the two torches on every ledge before the next room, the door will automatically open to the next one. So, you basically only have to fight the first room of 10 floors.

Doesn't work on the Gamcoob or the REVISION 2.0 release for the Wii, apparently.

Posted

Interesting little trick. ^

Good thing I didn't update, yet.

Posted

You did a nice job on your description. You might want to start doing your own video-walkthroughs on youtube.

Posted

This is what I did.

Infinite bomb/arrow glitch.

Stood atop the ledge.

Bombed, arrowed, and bomb arrowed.

Got some mad bank, too.

Posted

You, Sahaqiel, are a coward. I'm making plans to run back in on a three heart challenge.

Posted

You do it, then.

I durr you.

Posted

I will if you get me a wii and a copy of the game. I've been wanting to do a three heart challenge in that game for a while.

Posted

Also, defining coward as one who is not brave.

Someone who is not brave does not do what they are afraid to do.

I am not a coward, because I was using the bomb/arrow trick to conserve time, not because I was afraid I would lose.

So there.

Sahaqiel

Posted

THREE HARTS ARE AMANS SOLE

Posted

But seriously, go do the cave of ordeals the manly way.

Posted

Go do Armogohma.

The regular way.