• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#1 pheonix561

Most Exalted Potentate of Love

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13385 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

I realized that, despite that I'm an art major in my second year of college, I have only made one thread about a picture I did for my final last semester. I decided that, since I'm now taking three art classes instead of one, I might as well start taking pictures of things during my classes and posting them for you guys to see them.

The classes I'm taking this semester that involve me producing anything are Art 3D (A foundations class), Life Drawing, and Viscom Theory. Don't expect much from Viscom Theory.

Mind you, the last thread I did was a picture I did in colour, for about fifty hours in total work time. I'm probably not going to upload anything of that quality here, but rather the studies I do in between them. Midterms time isn't for another month or so.

Posted Image

This is a self portrait I started today, for my life drawing class (the one where you draw naked people). Normally we would have a naked model sit up on a stool and we'd all draw them, but ours didn't show up today. So instead we got a jump start on our homework and we all started on some semi reductive self portraits. This is the result of two hours of that. This is not a finished piece.

I didn't spend so much time worrying about shading and value as I did outlining everything in my face. I wanted to make sure I had the proportions right on everything before I started putting down anything particularly black or white, since those are both time consuming to make and remove, respectively. You have to be very careful when you put anything black down on a piece of paper. I also put some gestured lines in where my hair would be, and what the shapes were (they're undoubtedly different now, but I wanted the general idea). I didn't have the materials to work with any particularly detailed values, anyways. I had my charcoal pencil, but not my eraser stick. So The only value I really bothered with starting on was the neck. It was simple enough.

I should probably post a picture of what my face looks like in the position I'm working in, for your comparison. I'll do that later, though.

#2 2356

?

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2126 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

Charcoal stick are better imo

#3 pheonix561

• +Veteran
  • 13385 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

It's not a matter of which is better; The entire picture up there was done in charcoal stick. But If I'm going to get the minute detail I need later on, I can't black with something as soft as vine, and I can't get white with something as fat as a kneaded eraser.

#4 2356

?

• +Veteran
  • 2126 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

Speaking of edges, have you seen those really cool erasers that let you just use corners the whole time?

#5 Sahaqiel

Hero of Time

• ~Administrators
  • 10089 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:04 PM

row row fight da powah

#6 2356

?

• +Veteran
  • 2126 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Also, just because I like to be annoying, DOODLE WOLF.

#7 Knuckle

Master of Dimensions!

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5254 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

Why does that little spot between your mouth and nose stick out so much? I guess this is still in an early stage, but I can't help but notice that spot a lot.

Also, how do you guys draw nekkid people? Do you draw straws to see who goes or are there volunteers or do you all take turns being the subject or what?

#8 pheonix561

• +Veteran
  • 13385 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

That spot, the cleft, is an important shape that needs to be outlined when drawing the face at such an angle. It's a great way to help stop foreshortening between the mouth and nose, which is a problem I was having before I put that in. Yes, its in an early stage and yes, it does kind of look like a chaplin/hitler, Doesn't really help that I was drawing with a srs face on.

Schools pay models to come in and model. Typically they just find someone, anyone, who's willing to come in and take their clothes off for money. They get paid like they're doing an actual job. Although it seems leisurely, it's not as easy as it looks. You have to hold perfectly still for hours at a time, and people will get angry with you for so much as an errant twitch. I'm not saying it's some kind of rocket science, but I'm not saying it's some kind of easy job anyone could do, either.

Though, on days like that one, we didn't have a model come in. For some reason, it's apparently been difficult getting a hold of models for our class. One day when we didn't get a model, we just drew skeletons all day. Another day, one of us volunteered, though he kept his pants on. Apparently it's usually a female dominated occupation, where teachers have a really hard time finding a male to draw. For us, we've only had one model, and he's a dude. There was one day we had a female model, and I guess she quit.

On the topic of my face, The only reason I'm drawing my srs face is because I was drawing with a srs face on. I'm treating this portrait more like a lesson than a piece. I've done self portraits before, and I did one for the same class last semester that had me doing that final. In a situation like that, I'm much more prone to experimentation. I had a pretty ridiculous face for that one. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of the actual piece, but I do have some progress shots. Try and pretend you're looking at the finished one until I find it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Parts of it were wrong, like those hands right up there. My teacher still gave me an A though, just because I chose such a difficult pose and pulled it off. I held that face for hours at a time. It was so well received, in fact, that my teacher put it up with the other good pieces his students made that semester for the end of the year gallery thing (The place where I got that juror's award, which was cool). I like to think I don't have much difficulty coming up with content when I really want to.

That's a lightbulb I'm holding, also.

I also took some pics from my camera phone BEFORE IT STARTED ACTING LIKE A DICK of a recent project we did for my 3D class. I'll upload them later.

#9 Chimetals

Well, /i/ thought it was a good idea.

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

the hands dont look all that bad to me, but then again, youre the one thats been staring at them for hours at a time.

#10 Cirt

SCUBA CUBA

• @Moderator
  • 2832 posts
  • 3DS:2638-0057-9389

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

life drawing aaaaaa
you better have drawing of beautiful backs
and legs
and more hands. omg hands

0 user(s) are reading this topic