Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Newb discrimination

8 posts in this topic

Posted

As I have explained before on countless occasions, there IS a difference between a newbie, and a noobie, or whatever you want to call it. A newbie, as the prefix implies, is a new person on a forum, chat room, video game, or anything, really. These people normally don't know any better and don't read the rules. They disregard the rules because they don't know any better. They sometimes double or triple post, and post off-topic, too. This is a newb.

A noobie, however, is the dark side of rule disregarders. These people purposely SPAM, (For those who don't know, it stands for Stupid Pointless Annoying Message in most places, but is still called spam, for those who aren't that much of a nitpicker) and disregard rules even though they know them. This is a noob, and should probably be disliked.

The thing I'm getting at is that some people lash out of newbies, even though they know they don't know any better. We SHOULD be trying to control the noob population who is TRYING to make the board look bad. I'm tired of seeing a newb with one post go up to a thread like, "hi guys! im new here and just want to say hi! ok bye!" in a thread about toasters, or whatnot, and then post again. "did any of u read my post? ok well bye!" And the next person immediately goes, "STFU NOOB. GET OUT OF THESE FORUMS." Then a noob with 25,289 posts comes into a forum and says, "lol you guys suck! XD" And they regard it as funny because he or she has been a board member for a long time, and they just think it's funny because he made a remark that wasn't remotely part of the convo as a joke, as is his or hers regular behavior. No. I don't like that. Where's the justice in the world?

We need to confirm they mean it, or calm down and explain the rules. This is a real problem. I know a lot of people who don't even touch the rules because they think they'll just behave. They end up making mistakes, as we all do.

Point is, newb and noob. Don't flame them. Help them.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Nice post, but I haven't seen much of it here on Hyrule.net...

Posted

Nice post, Sahaqiel. :)

Yeah, Newbs I understand. They need a bit of friendly guidance every now and then. Noobs, they need some help to stop causing trouble. Though, eyeoftruth is right. This rarely happens here on hyrule.net.

Posted

seriously, I think you've got the wrong forum, most of the stuff you've described there doesn't happen very often, i deal out friendly warnings and it doesn;t happen again. Some people maybe aren't as nice as others, but there's not really anybody I've seen here who keeps blatantly disregarding the rules...

Posted

yes, this is actually one of the cleanest forums I've been on=)

Posted

What Gingerlink and EyeofTruth said, its not that common.

I always though a Noob was someone new to whatever the forum is about and doesn't fully understand much about the subject. Someone who gets all the facts wrong and just tends to get annoying.

Posted

I know it's not that common, I'm just ranting about the general issue. I've been on message boards for years, and years, and I see it everywhere. It's frustrating. I see this guy so full of himself walk up to newbies who made a new comic. It's their first time, done on the traditional MS paint, but they bash them and bash them. No constructive criticism at all. The other people try to get this guy to be a bit less harsh, but he then starts pointing out how severely bad this person is at comic making, and it destroys the self confidence of that person. I actually went to a forum where all comics stopped being made because the newbs didn't improve, due to harsh criticism, so the thread count lowered and lowered. This is destructive. In other forums the same thing happened with theorizers. It's bad for forums.

I was just letting out some of my stored anger on the subject.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Ok, I've also seen it. Luckily, we don't have much of it here on Hyrule.net=)