Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

San Diego Wildfires

6 posts in this topic

Posted

So a brushfire broke out in North County yesterday morning... And since then eight more wildfires sprouted out throughout the county. There's two in south county near the Mexican border burning towards the Pacific Ocean, one in east county burning north and south, and five in north county joining together in the form of an arch, one side headed towards the Pacific Ocean and the other end burning southwards. So it's like a giant semi-circle of fire closing in on the county's north, east and south borders.

This is reportedly the worst diaster to hit San Diego in history and the last major wildfire since this time of year in 2003. We had to go to school (almost all the country's school districts except for Sweetwater and San Diego Unified--my school district--were closed due to the fires). In the morning there was a faint smell of smoke in the air, but by lunch it was all hazy and smoky to the point that it looked like fog and the air was virtually unbreathable. But it cleared up shortly after fifth period. Now all schools in San Diego County are closed tomorrow because of the air hazards.

Strong winds (we call them Santa Anas) and dry air are spreading the fire, and the wind is blowing so strong that helicopters can't fly overhead to drop water and fire retardants. Some flames are reported to be 200 feet tall at least.

You can go here to read more and here to find out about the Cedar Fires that happened in 2003 (it was so bad that the sky was orange, it rained ashes, and school was closed for a week).

Pretty crazy stuff here.

Posted

I heard from my friends that the fires have reached the Spring Valley neighborhood (which is about eight miles away from here), and one of my friends live there. :huh:

Posted

Thats bad news..

I hope all the dangerous places are evacuated early enough..

hmm.. kind of lost for words..

Posted

Thats bad news..

I hope all the dangerous places are evacuated early enough..

hmm.. kind of lost for words..

Yeah, evacuations are pretty orderly. Qualcomm Stadium was opened up for evacuees. Luckily it's not disorganized like the Superdome was during Katrina.

Here are some pictures of fires across the county.

Posted

Oh god...I hope your friend is okay...and no helicopters can get to the flame because its so tall? I thought helicopters could go way beyond 200 feet.

There was also a fire near my home 4 years ago...it was about, 7 feet away from my house...

Its scary stuff...one of my buds actually lost their home to the fire.

Posted

Oh god...I hope your friend is okay...and no helicopters can get to the flame because its so tall? I thought helicopters could go way beyond 200 feet.

There was also a fire near my home 4 years ago...it was about, 7 feet away from my house...

Its scary stuff...one of my buds actually lost their home to the fire.

They can't fly because the winds are too strong for flying.

On topic of the winds, they blow hot embers across burshlands and onto nearby houses and spread the fire even more. The smoke over the county is so thick that weather satellites mistake them as rain clouds.