Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japanese DS to get downloadable content

7 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote]AM3, who brought a video service to the Gameboy Advance in Japan last generation, are making their latest attempt at a download service which will bring anime, books, comics, magazines, movies and TV shows to the Japanese DS. Content will be downloaded to a special microSD flash card and plugged into the DS using a special cartridge adaptor.[/quote]

------

[quote]The service, which is fully licensed by Nintendo, will launch in Japan in March of 2008. Working with their majority shareholder, Dai Nippon Printing, AM3 will open an online store for the downloadable content. The two firms will be working with NTT for the distribution of high-memory content, such as movies.

Specific titles have yet to be announced, but AM3 have high hopes for the service, expecting to capture 10% of the 20-million strong DS userbase. 300 titles are expected to be available when the system launches, with 10,000 up by 2010. AM3 hope to see 20,000,000 downloads per year by 2010, with sales totaling one billion yen over the next three years. A pricing scheme is also yet to be announced, but the company expects the most expensive stuff to go for 1,000 yen (around $10 US).

A test of the service will be held in January, with those interested able to purchase a set including the adaptor cartridge, a 512MB microSD card designed for use with the DS Vision service and a USB reader for 3,980 yen. The firm is considering giving the adaptor for free in the future, in order to minimise barriers to the service.

[b]Although the service is only set for Japan at present, it could expand to other regions if it proves successful. [/b][/quote]

Hopefully the rest of the world isn't too far behind.

Article from Aussie-nintendo.com

Posted

This is the annoying/pointless thing about articles like these.
Fair play to you for posting stuff like this, that's what makes hyrule.net! Don't get me wrong, but, it's just that if it's only in Japan =/ bit pointless.
I guess it did say may expand to other countries, the chances are high, but it's typical of the Japanese =P

/Rant over.

Posted

UP YOURS, FLIP.

Take it to R & R.

Anyway, I hope this comes to Wii. :wii:

Posted

HACK COUGH SPIT BLEED HACK COUGH COUGH HACK FLASHCART HACK COUGH COUGH HACK.

Excuse me.

HEY, HT, WAKE UP.

There's something called "Wii Shop Channel". Look it up sometime.

Maybe this is why Nintendo recently raided Divineo's flashcarts...

I bought one but it broke a month ago. I'm buying a new one soon.

>>

<<

Posted

THE WII SHOP CHANNEL? TWSC GETS SQUAT! ALL IT GETS IS RETRO GAMES, THAT, HALF THE TIME:

> Has Mario in it

> Has completly wierd chars that no one cares about

> Is stupid (cough AIR ZONK COUGH HACK WHEEZE)

OR

> IS A POOR RIP - OFF OF SOME OTHER FRANCHISE

THEN there's the occasional channel, that is either good/ for a while, A FLOP, OR THERE'S NOTHING.

THANK GOD for 2008...

RANT OVER.

Posted

Cool can't wait until it is here! :D

Posted

TML, Django, quit arguing.

TML, there's no reason to attack FLIp over that.

Flip's got mostly a point, but there's still point in posting articles like these because they will end up over here, as there's just as large demand for it here as there is in Japan and it's just as important.

The wii shop channel would be where the DS games would be, it's where all the softwarey online stuff goes, the aulity of half the games on there doesn't undermine the quality of the other half on there either.