Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of Zelda: The Two Preludes

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo released a Zelda album titled Sound and Drama back in the day, when A Link to the Past was first released. Needless to say, it was only released in Japan. And along with it, a separate 17-minute long audio drama, complete with full voice acting (in Japanese) and realistic sound effects. This story, The Two Preludes, was never released anywhere outside Japan, and has never been translated out of original Japanese.

But after listening to it a couple of times (can't say I didn't have fun doing it), I was able to get a complete English translation, so you all can listen along and not go in your heads, "What the hell are these people saying?"

The file is here.

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Link: Sh*t! I have to hurry up! I have to save Zelda! If I don't kill Ganon's minions in time, she's gonna die! And without her... Nothing will stand in his way!

Zelda: Link! I'm in here! ...Link!

Link: Zelda?!

Zelda: Link? ...Link!

Ganon: Hahahahaha... HAHAHAHA!!!

Link: ZELDAAAAA!!!

Link: ZERUDA NO DENSETSU: FUTARI NO CHOSHOU (The Legend of Zelda: The Two Preludes)

Link: My name's Link. The winds that blew across Hyrule started to change when I met her... Princess Zelda. This was when my father, Banzetta, and my mother, Loretta, died.

Banzetta: Loretta... Please, be safe! Loretta!

Loretta: Link... Your father is coming to help us... Link...

Banzetta: Loretta!

Loretta: Y-you're...!

Banzetta: Don't give up, Loretta!

Loretta: You're... Link... Be clever... Like your father...

Banzetta: Loretta! No! Ganon's men did this!

Link: My father was a soldier who was fighting to protect the Triforce. In order not to burden him, I was left in the care of the nurse of Princess Zelda, who was a year older than I was.

Egorowa: You're going to battle again?

Banzetta: I don't know when--or if--I'll come back. However, looking at this child, I can see that he has escaped death. Raise him as a knight, so he may die with honor and grace.

Egorowa: Banzetta...

Banzetta: After my death, I believe he will follow in my footsteps.

Egorowa: I understand. Together, with my husband Alphon, we will take care of Link, as if he were our own son.

Banzetta: ...Goodbye... Link...

Link: My father left to protect Hyrule and to avenge my mother, Loretta. Ten years have passed since he left. I'm growing into a brave swordsman... Without a father... But not without love.

Link: Hah! I did it!

Alphon: You haven't won yet! But your swordsmanship is excellent, Link! -strikes Link-

Link: U-ugh...! O-ow!

Alphon: Hahaha! You should be more careful.

Egorowa: Honey! Link! Your food is ready!

Alphon: We're coming!

Link: -swings at Alphon- Yes!

Alphon: Agh! That wasn't fair, Link!

Egorowa: Link is quickly becoming an equal match, isn't he?

Alphon: Link's naturally adept! Just what one would expect from the son of an expert swordsman of Hyrule!

Egorowa: The princess says that Link will become a hero.

Alphon: ...That so?

Link: Since I was a child I devoted my life to being a knight of Princess Zelda. Princess Zelda believed in me... She trusted me...

Zelda: Link, if something ever happened to me, would you be there to help me?

Link: Yes, Princess. I'll protect you with my life.

Zelda: As daughter of the King of Hyrule, I partake in the rule of the land. Link, you have a courageous heart and mind. I honor you, and I hereby grant you the title of Royal Knight.

Link: Aunt Egorowa watched us with a smile. I knew from then that my destiny was tied to Princess Zelda forever.

Zelda: Follow me, Link.

Link: Wh-where are we going, Princess?

Zelda: Beyond this gateway sleeps the legendary treasure, the Triforce.

Link: The... Triforce?

Zelda: A sacred relic which controls power, bestows wisdom, and strengthens courage. If the complete, three-crested Triforce resides within the true hero, it will be at its greatest strength.

Link: The... true hero...?

Zelda: That's right. For the one who possesses the Triforce... will gain the powers of the Goddesses.

Link: If I have the power to protect you, I need nothing else.

Zelda: You're too noble, you know that? But not everyone in this world is like you... the evil sorceror Ganon also desires to have this holy relic.

Link: Ganon...?

Zelda: Yes... and then the Royal Family of Hyrule will be cast away by him, and the world laid to ruin and despair.

Link: If something like that ever happened, I... I'd...

Zelda: Link, YOU are our true hero. Now open the gate and it shall grant you the courage you deserve.

Link: ...Yes, Your Highness. -opens the gate-

Link: This... is the Triforce...?

Zelda: Go, Link... Receive the Triforce of Courage.

Link: As you wish, Princess.

Link: At the time, I had no idea that what I had touched was the real Triforce, but I believed I had the courage of the Goddesses. A little after it happened, something terrible occured...

Zelda: Father! Father!

Ganon's Follower: I found the princess!

Zelda: You killed my father!

Ganon's Followers: Yes, and for King Ganon we destroyed the kingdom of Hyrule as well! We've killed everything in the castle. But don't worry... we won't kill you, Princess, not yet.

Zelda: Let go of me!!!

Link: As for me, Egorowa took me into hiding... But I could still hear Zelda's voice screaming for help.

Link: I'm strong enough! Princess Zelda!

Ganon's Follower: There's someone else in the castle!

Ganon's Follower 2: We have to kill everyone!

Ganon: Go!

Ganon's Followers: Understood!

Egorowa: Link! Run!

Link: No! I have to save Princess Zelda!

Egorowa: The castle is burning; even if you fight here you'll be killed! Go through the hidden passage and escape!

Link: Let me go! I have to save Princess Zelda! I have to!

Egorowa: You don't have enough strength! You must go to Alphon!

Link: Aunt Egorowa and got on a horse and ran to Alphon.

Link: Let me off! I have to fight!

Egorowa: Link, listen to me carefully. Go to Alphon and wait until the time is right. Princess Zelda will call to your heart.

Link: Call to...?

Egorowa: Link... if you are the true hero, use wisdom, power and courage as they are needed and you will persevere. Love is the key. It is evil's bane.

Link: ...Aunt Egorowa...

Egorowa: Being a hero isn't only plunging into the fray. It is also knowing when it's better to wait for the right moment to attack.

Link: ...Understood

Egorowa: ...Then I will have to go... Link...

Link: Wait... Aunt Egorowa... Aunt Egorowa!!!

Link: That was the last time I saw her. She trapped Ganon's followers into a cave, and they were all killed in an explosion... No!!!

Link: -crying-

Alphon: Link? Link!

Link: Uncle... Alphon?

Alphon: Egorowa died to protect Princess Zelda and the kingdom from Ganon's control. She believed that you were the true hero. Don't mourn for her so. She died honorably, and that is never a sad thing, Link.

Link: ...That's... good, isn't it... Uncle...?

Link: There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't haunted by the deafening roar of the explosion that killed her.

Alphon: Link, I've taught you all I can.

Link: Uncle...

Alphon: The most important thing you must learn now is not the way of the sword, but the way of the heart.

Link: The way of the heart?

Alphon: Yes. Do not let hatred overwhelm you. Instead, fill your heart with love. If you do, you will be able to hear the voices of those you love.

Link: Voices?

Egorowa: Wait until the time is right. Princess Zelda will call to your heart.

Link: What should I do... how can I forget my hatred? Ganon killed my mother and Aunt Egorowa. I won't rest until I've killed him with my own two hands...

Egorowa: ...Link...

Link: ...Aunt Egorowa?

Egorowa: Have you forgotten the power of the true hero? The power of the true hero is love...

Link: With that, I was woken by a voice I faintly remembered. A voice guiding me on a long and perilous journey.

Zelda: Link!

Link: Zelda!

Zelda: Help! Link! Help me! Link!

Link: I'm coming! Zelda! ...Zelda! Zelda! ZELDA!!!

Posted

Is there not a sequel to this story?

Posted

Wow. link actually sounds great.