Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uematsu: Super Mario Bros. Theme "should be national anthem for Japan"

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Revered video game music composer Nobuo Uematsu said in a 1Up interview that the theme song for [i]Super Mario Bros.[/i] should be Japan's national anthem.

------

1Up recently interviewed Nobuo Uematsu (famous for his work in the [i]Final Fantasy[/i] series and the main theme for [i]Super Smash Bros. Brawl[/i]). They asked the composer who in the video game music field he respected. This is what he had to say:

"I think there are a lot of talented composers these days compared to when we started back in the day. But if I were to name just one person then it would be [Koji] Kondo-san and his beats and music in [i]Super Mario[/i], just his upbeat tempos. I'm sure everyone in the world -- no borderlines or age limit -- everyone in the world who's come across[i] Super Mario[/i]'s music will never forget that melody. And his character himself in person -- I just saw him a couple of days ago in Osaka, but every time I see him, his music and his personality and his characteristics are just one big package. It's him and his music. Just being very relaxed and fun and upbeat and no ulterior motives, no lies. There's nothing that's not him that's in his music. His style is purely translated into the music he creates."

"And I think[i] Super Mario[/i] music from[i] Super Mario[/i] games, and also the music in the [i]Dragon Quest[/i] series when they first hit it big, sort of stepped up the level for game music in Japanese gaming culture, so I think a lot of people who came across that were surprised that music can have so much impact in a game and that a lot of people started showing more and more interest in game music after those two came out. I know I said one person, but if I were to name another person, it would be [Koichi] Sugiyama-san."

Koichi Sugiyama is the main composer of the [i]Dragon Quest[/i] series.

He also added, "I think that [b]the Super Mario song should be the national anthem for Japan.[/b]"

For the record, the current Japanese anthem is [i][url="http://profile.imeem.com/ELoyNY/music/3m9eMbk4/japanese_national_ethem_kimi_ga_yo/"]Kimi ga Yo[/url][/i] ("Your Eternal Reign"), and is one of the shortest in current use.

"So when someone wins a gold medal at the Olympics, a Japanese athlete, the flag should go up with the theme song. Shoop!"

Now wouldn't THAT be something?

Source and full interview [url="http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=7&cId=3166165"]here at 1Up[/url].

Posted

that would be awesome, they should do that :D

We need a new British National Anthem too in my opinion...

Posted

*listens to Japanese National Anthem*
Wow, 30 seconds, eh? That really is short!

Haha, that would be hilarious to have that song as the new National Anthem for Japan!
Heck, if that happened, I'de go to Japan just for that. xD

I still like our National Anthem (Canada's.) :)
Though when they play it on the announcements at our school.. well.. let's just say I want a different version.
The version they play at our school sounds like a crappy Boy band singing it. :huh:

Posted

That's interesting. I would like it if our (U.S.'s) national anthem was a video game song. I wonder what it would be if it was...([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO1y7WQfD9c"]Halo[/url])

Posted

Um. No. Halo's theme song isn't popular or awesome enough. XP

But that would be awesome. It would make Japan more awesome somehow. I didn't think it was previously possible.
That'd be a hard anthem to sing to though. XD
Sahaqiel

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' post='121606' date='Feb 18 2008, 02:43 PM']Um. No. Halo's theme song isn't popular or awesome enough. XP

But that would be awesome. It would make Japan more awesome somehow. I didn't think it was previously possible.
That'd be a hard anthem to sing to though. XD
Sahaqiel[/quote]

The Halo song was a joke. And I can "sing" the Mario song pretty well.

Posted

I love that song! It's so retro those Japanese would be awesome if they had that as their anthem!

Posted

This is ridiculous.

Posted

That would be super awsome! If that happened I'd want to move to Japan more then I want already!

Posted

Lolz.
Cool.

Posted

[size=7][b]L. O. L.[/b][/size]

Posted

That would be quite awesome, though kinda long.
But awesome! :embarrassed:

Posted

uh. yeah. that would
pretty much be the most
amazing thing in history.

:embarrassed: