Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Text chatting comes to Mario Kart Wii

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo has confirmed text chatting for its upcoming game, [i]Mario Kart Wii[/i]. While most may welcome the feature, it leaves quite a bit to be desired.
------

[i]Mario Kart Wii[/i] supports only text chatting--no voice chat unlike what you'd see on Xbox Live's service. Text chatting will be limited to those whom you have exchanged Wii Friend Codes with, and only just before racing matches, instead of during the actual gameplay.

Also, text messaging will also be limited to a pre-set dictionary of words and phrases, almost but not quite in the same fashion in [i]Super Smash Bros. Brawl[/i]. Presumably, this is due to maintaining Nintendo's family-friendly atmosphere, an image it has kept since the early 90s.

"You can create rooms for friends to join and even text chat while you're waiting for other racers," Nintendo of Europe revealed.

Nintendo of America has also announced messaging will only be supported by the Wii Remote; no USB keyboard functionality this time around.

Sources: [url="http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/nintendo-adds-b.html"]Wired[/url], [url="http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/855/855033p1.html?RSSwhen2008-02-26_104500&RSSid=855033"]IGN[/url]

Posted

brawl seems to do a much better job of this system, with the taunts related to the messages.

The pre-set words will make it harder as well, I'm not sure why they have to limit it to friend codes AND strictly regulated. You'd think if the friend codes had been swapped, it would be ok and if it's regulated so much, then it should be allowed against random people...

However, no voice chat is understandable considering there's nothing along the lines of a headset for the wii yet...

Posted

I hate to say this Mr JoshShizzle sir, but I often fail to see the point in your threads. They never have your opinion in-whilst everyone else's have at least one in there somewhere, and you tell us stuff that anyone could see were they to go to your source threads.

Sure, others copy and paste news, take [url="http://www.hyrule.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5669&pid=124938&st=0&#entry124938"]Gingerlink's Lucario Post[/url] (the only one I can find off hand) for example, now this has no opinion's in it, but at least we have some idea of personality, with a slight humour thrown in (at least how I see it).

My brain's quickly losing focus so I'm probably making less and less sense. In short, change some words, personalise your posts and show us you aren't just some guy who takes news from one place and puts it somewhere else.

*Point Over*

Anyway, on topic-I fail to see how a text based system would NOT be disruptive in the middle of a game. Can anyone see it being really easy?

Posted

[quote name='Jon Who' post='125061' date='Feb 28 2008, 04:07 PM']I hate to say this Mr JoshShizzle sir, but I often fail to see the point in your threads. They never have your opinion in-whilst everyone else's have at least one in there somewhere, and you tell us stuff that anyone could see were they to go to your source threads.

Sure, others copy and paste news, take [url="http://www.hyrule.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5669&pid=124938&st=0&#entry124938"]Gingerlink's Lucario Post[/url] (the only one I can find off hand) for example, now this has no opinion's in it, but at least we have some idea of personality, with a slight humour thrown in (at least how I see it).

My brain's quickly losing focus so I'm probably making less and less sense. In short, change some words, personalise your posts and show us you aren't just some guy who takes news from one place and puts it somewhere else.

*Point Over*

Anyway, on topic-I fail to see how a text based system would NOT be disruptive in the middle of a game. Can anyone see it being really easy?[/quote]
I'm sorry you feel that way. Then again, news is generally supposed to have that formal feel, and that's how I write it. I write for my school newspaper; I just carry over what I do there over here is all.

The source is there to prove that whatever I put up isn't fake. It's not exactly credible unless one marks where the news came from.

Posted

At the same time Jon Who, some people like news posts without opinions or bias - just the facts.

its a good idea to have chatrooms to idle in while the other players join.. some online games do this.

Posted

Fair point.