Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGN's Brawl review: 9.5/10

14 posts in this topic

Posted

IGN has just reviewed [i]Super Smash Bros. Brawl[/i], and has given it a score of 9.5/10 (Incredible)

------

[b]Presentation: 9.0/10[/b]
An impressive lineup of stages and characters, including some from third parties. Amazing soundtrack. Gorgeous cut-scenes. Simple menus. Long front-load and lacking online options.

[b]Graphics: 8.5/10[/b]
Looks like an enhanced version of [i]Melee[/i]. Improved character models and backgrounds. Everything runs in 480p, 16:9 and at 60 frames. Even so, the graphics definitely lack detail in areas.

[b]Sound: 10/10[/b]
One of the best soundtracks ever created. Sound effects, meanwhile, are perfectly punchy and well-suited to the characters and environments.

[b]Gameplay: 9.5/10[/b]
Tight control, more balanced character move sets, new final smashes and more. We're not particularly fond of the single-player mode, but multiplayer is so good we just don't care.

[b]Lasting Appeal: 10/10[/b]
Destined to be played for years thanks to spectacular offline and online multiplayer modes. One of the great four-player games of all time.

[b]OVERALL: 9.5/10 (Incredible)[/b]

Full review [url="http://wii.ign.com/articles/856/856580p1.html"]here[/url] at IGN.

Video review:

[center][/center]

Posted

Omg I was just about to post that :P

Posted

hmmm, I'll need to check that review.

Don't know why I'm disagreeing with scores without even playing the game, I think I have a really closed mind about how awesome brawl is going to be and even something like 95% seems a bit low XD

All the downpoints they give seem pretty reasonable though, online stattracking etc would be REALLY nice to have, might start a tally or something in my room of matches won :D

Posted

IGN's just really picky.

[quote name='IGN']Looks like an enhanced version of Melee. Improved character models and backgrounds. Everything runs in 480p, 16:9 and at 60 frames. Even so, the graphics definitely lack detail in areas.[/quote]
If Mario was any more realistic, he'd look mentally challenged. Seriously. Brawl has great graphical effects, and I don't see anything wrong with them.

I understand the load time though; no one wants to wait that long to get into a game like that, but saying the graphics were lacking was just stupid on their part, in my opinion.
Oh well.
It's IGN.
They make sense once in a while.
But this is not the time. )=
Sahaqiel

Posted

[quote name='Gingerlink' post='126670' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:13 PM']hmmm, I'll need to check that review.

Don't know why I'm disagreeing with scores without even playing the game, I think I have a really closed mind about how awesome brawl is going to be and even something like 95% seems a bit low XD

All the downpoints they give seem pretty reasonable though, online stattracking etc would be REALLY nice to have, might start a tally or something in my room of matches won :D[/quote]

I'm sure you would. I agree that all this waiting seems to just build in our minds that this is going to be the most awesome game the world has ever seen as a way of trying to explain the very long delays....But their criticisms were fair (of what I can remember of them) I just think they penalised a bit much, the cut scenes do look amazing though-and I would be happy with an 8/9 hour add-on to a game that already has great potential, why complain about that o all things?

In terms of stat tracking I'm certain that would put a huge strain on a server somewhere, and Microsoft's XBox Live server crash over christmas shows how annoying that can be. I also wouldn't want to be constantly compared to however many millions will play the game...

Posted

Do you think they reviewed the Japanese version though? Because one of the thing in the review said something like We hope those bugs get worked out by the time Brawl comes to over here. IDK I try to believe reviews ony to a certain extent.

Posted

Hmm when is this out again?

Posted

[quote name='Oni_Link49' post='126696' date='Mar 4 2008, 08:18 PM']Do you think they reviewed the Japanese version though? Because one of the thing in the review said something like We hope those bugs get worked out by the time Brawl comes to over here. IDK I try to believe reviews ony to a certain extent.[/quote]

I read the whole review and it didn't say anything like that in it...

If they were gonna review the Japanese version, they would've done it a while ago

@SpartanofHylia, this sunday, 9th March

@saha
"no one wants to wait that long to get into a game like that" tell that to the majoritory of 360 and ps3 owners, 20 seconds just when loading the disk isn't bad at all really

@JonWho
Microsoft's servers have to cope with a lot more though, take halo 3 as a one game example because that's what it's being compared to. As well as standards, wins, loss, ranking etc. All the details of each game (what weapon was used to kill who) are uploaded onto Bungie, people can take screenshots and videos and just chuck them on their file share to be looked at by anyone (obviously brawl limits this to sending to friends and Nintendo). They track the stats for each of the 6 ranked gametypes as well.

Of course one thing would seem to be the amount of different options for online games which might make it tricky, but you'd think they'd at least be able to have a ranked option to add to it.

Posted

I think it should have been more. Like a 9.8 or something. Maybe a 10 (there are a few things that I do not about Brawl).

Posted

[quote name='Vadarth X' post='126785' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:48 PM']I think it should have been more. Like a 9.8 or something. Maybe a 10 (there are a few things that I do not about Brawl).[/quote]

i dont know bout that there really picky i'm surprised OoT got a ten actually...kinda

Posted

I believe TP got an even higher rating from IGN than Brawl! :o At least, I think they rated it 9.7.. can't remember perfectly though.
Well, I'm happy to announce that my parents promised to get me the game on Sunday because of the awesome report card I got. Geez I'm just gonna spend all day just playing Brawl. XD

Posted

9.5 is the new 10 over at ign. They haven't rated a game 10 in ages... I mean, really ages, last i know of most have been on n64.

Posted

they probably only do 10/10 for games that they actually can beat...

Posted

Mario Galaxy got an even higher rating than Brawl (9.7 from IGN's very own, Matt Casamassina. He's awesome.) Well probably only for utilising the Wii Remote spectacularly as well as the fresh new idea of going from Galaxy to Galaxy. And the graphics, which were tremendous (not to say that Brawl's aren't, I mean, just look at the Subspace Emissary!)
Then again, Brawl got a 10/10 in Music, which, I agree, is one of the best videogame soundtracks I've heard in a long time!