Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nintendo's hardware deemed environmentally unfriendly

10 posts in this topic

Posted

In Greenpeace's latest issue of [i]Guide to Greener Electronics[/i], Nintendo placed among the lowest ranks.

------

Every year Greenpeace ranks electronic companies based on their manufacturing and recycling methods. Last year Nintendo came in at a 0/10. This year, an almost but not quite better 0.3/10.

"[Nintendo has made a] Tiny improvement but still way behind," said Greenpace. In comparison to the current gaming console makers, Sony ranked the highest with a 7.3/10; Microsoft came in at 4.7.

Nintendo issued the following statement in reply to the backlash:

[quote]We were surprised by the content of the Greenpeace report, given that we take great care to comply with all relevant regulations on avoiding the use of dangerous materials, recycling, etc. As is stated in the manuals of the Wii console and DS Lite, neither product contains latex, lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB), or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). Additionally, we have been phasing out the use of PVC in our packaging, using a safer, recyclable plastic instead.

We take great care to comply with all relevant regulations on avoiding the use of dangerous materials. All Nintendo products supplied worldwide are designed to comply with relevant global standards. In order to certify that Nintendo products comply with standards for hazardous chemical substances, Nintendo has established the Green Procurement Standards, which require our component suppliers to certify that any parts they deliver do not include hazardous chemical substances, and ensure that Nintendo fully controls its products internally.

Regarding a

Posted

Screw Greenpeace. They are the "Avon Ladies" of the environmental movement. They are scare mongers of the worst calibure! In 2006 they released a press release accidentaly. It basically said

"In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]."

They forgot to fill in the area and showed their idiocy for what it really was.

PETA can suck my elbow as well!

Posted

ok the wii is mroe energy efficiant than a 60 watt light bulb and uses less plastica nd materials than sony How the F*** did sony get the highest rank? I think they are biased.

Posted

[quote name='diamondtriforce82' post='131550' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:59 PM']Screw Greenpeace. They are the "Avon Ladies" of the environmental movement. They are scare mongers of the worst calibure! In 2006 they released a press release accidentaly. It basically said

"In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]."

They forgot to fill in the area and showed their idiocy for what it really was.

PETA can suck my elbow as well![/quote]
yeah there a bunch of complaining hippies
who gives a F*** aboot greenpeace
dumb pot smoking r-tard hippies workers

Posted

Green Peace are just sodding Sony/Microsoft Fan Boys/Girls. :angry:

LONG LIVE NINTENDO! :wii:

(no wait.. now im the sodding fanboy.... :cry:

Posted

[quote name='lord jabu jabu' post='131762' date='Mar 22 2008, 02:28 AM']yeah there a bunch of complaining hippies
who gives a F*** aboot greenpeace
dumb pot smoking r-tard hippies workers[/quote]

heh... I happen to be member of greenpeace moron.

Hopefully Nintendo will improve them self. The environment should be taken seriously.

Posted

No opinion on the matter but if it's true what Nintendo said then I'm confused.

Posted

this is all to do with the manufacturing and recylcing methods, not to do with the console itself, so it's just that they are failing somewhat in.

It does seem wierd though, yeah, especially with Nintendo's response

Posted

i say nindendo is the best selling company ever! ever!

long live nindendo and happy easter and remember jesus has risen!!!!!!

Posted

[quote name='eyeoftruth' post='131845' date='Mar 21 2008, 02:36 PM']heh... I happen to be member of greenpeace moron.

Hopefully Nintendo will improve them self. The environment should be taken seriously.[/quote]

your a r-tard if u think nindendo is not a good company your crazy if u believe that