Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Such a disregard for warning labels.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Such a blatant disregard for warning labels.

Earlier today, my stepdad told me to wash dishes. I was OK with this, and then I got confused, because he told me fill the sink and add bleach. Well, I normally hate washing the dishes using a sink full of water, preferring using the water when I am in need of it, making rinsing easier. But adding bleach? He left the kitchen, and just being cautious, I read the warning labels.

The bleach not only warned that it was a skin irritant, and that you should wash your skin thoroughly if it is in contact with the bleach, (And I have an open cut on my hand, but I had rubber gloves. Still, it's possible for the stuff to get into said gloves.) It also said, "Do not use on silverware", and said, "Do not use on sponges". Guess what I had to wash? Guess what I had to wash it with?

If you answered, "A cat" with "A human leg", you were sorely mistaken.

I had to wash all the dishes. Silverware, plates, etc. with the sponge in bleachy water.

The warning also stated to not ingest it or get the bleach on food. Well, this is a given. But most people WAIT for their dishes to dry before use.

However, after I put up a fork, my stupid stepdad picks it up and uses it to tend to burgers cooking in the stove.

What the hell, I ask you.

Before starting to wash the dishes, I informed him that the bleach was a skin irritant and that it's not meant for touching the skin.

He started on a rant about how he did the same when he was younger and that employers will not care if you don't want such-and-such on your hands while washing dishes, and that he was still alive today even though he used the said methods.

(Though with his regard for warning labels, I'm not sure how that's possible)

The bleach label also warned not to use it with household chemicals like ammonia, for it would release dangerous gaseous chemicals.

This is not a clear bad thing, because I was using dishwasher detergent, and it didn't have an ingredient label or a warning that said, "CONTAINS AMMONIA". I'm not even sure if any dish detergent has ammonia in it. But my chest hurt ever so slightly occasionally when I was near the sink while breathing.

I checked the "For use with" section of the label.

There was NOTHING about dishwashing. All it said that it could be used with stuff like clothes or tile.

Even the makers of the bleach didn't count on people using it for something like washing the dishes you eat on, or the dishes you eat with.

Sometimes I ask myself if I'm just being paranoid and falsely blaming people for disregarding things.

But it seems like he's just assuming the bleach will help.

I had "A.K.A. I-D-I-O-T" by The Hives stuck in my head while washing dishes.

I wonder why.

And my skin tingles.

Funny thing is, he has high military clearance and police will come to our house if his location isn't confirmed.

And he thinks fish aren't animals.

Sigh...

Sahaqiel

Posted

Bleach and ammonia react to give off a deadly gas. Lots of people have died from mixing the two to make a chemical. It should never be done.

It's standard practices to use (tiny amounts of) bleach to sterilize dishes after cleaning by adding a cap-ful of bleach to a sinkful of water. You simply dip the dishes in them to sterilize. I've never seen anyone use bleach alone for washing... also it seems like you would need too much to wash. Also, it is very harsh on the skin. ALSO, it corroded stainless steel: aka metal sinks, silverware, etc. so using much or letting it soak will damage things..

Your parents are special, Saha. :P

Posted

He used much more than a capful. Like, almost a cup. )=

Should I be scared?

Sahaqiel

Posted

And I thought I didn't like MY dad... you know, they put those labels for a reason. =.=

You didn't eat those burgers, did you? If you die of poisoning, I'll cry so much. :cry:

Posted

He-- you-- wash dis-- WHAT THE HECK! o_0

The warning labels, and he-- ma-- blea--.

Okay, I'm speechless for once, but that is just darn STUPID! And he used a fork to cook up burgers AFTER it had been bleached?

Wait...

you didn't eat those, did you!? 0_0

Well, I'm actually really concerned about this.

Saha, you're not paranoid, you're stating perfectly logical facts along with common sense.

You're Stepdad is odd. :huh:

I suggest consulting with him again.

Yeah,

that's all the advice I can think of right now lol, sorry. :P

Posted

Bleach? Ok, there's a reason why dish washing liquid says it contains a bleach SUBSTITUTE. And he thinks fish aren't animals?

Wow. That's all I can say. Tell me you didn't eat the burgers! It's a law to have those warning labels for a REASON.

Posted

And he thinks fish aren't animals.

Sigh...

Sahaqiel

well if vegetarians can eat them... just kidding :unsure:

or am i?

Posted

... i think your step dad has problems. :unsure:

Posted

See, this is why I only wash MY dishes, and MY clothes etc.... That, and my grandfather doesn't clean dishes well. I work as a hotcook(cook everything besides steak, fish, chicken..)/dishwasher/busboy, and my boss says that even the tiniest bit of bleach can induce vomiting and can cause the esophogus to basically burn...

Posted

:huh: And I thought that adults knew about this stuff.

Well then, this confirms my theory of smartness not being an inherited gene. Either that or it's quite recessive. :unsure:

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of an adult doing. And, no offense at all, but I think you should have said that washing dishes with bleach is like doing drugs. Nothing may seem to happen the first time, but the second time it will obviously affect everything. It's what they keep teaching us; even though nothing may have seemed to happen whenever he washed dishes with bleach last time, he definitely has esophagus damage and possibly other organ damage. :fear: And I think the bleach fumes you were definitely inhaling may have had something to do with the chest pain.

No offense to your stepdad, but he seems to have slight mental problems. :unsure: I hope the bleach didn't damage your skin...That's just the most thoughtless thing... :wacko:

Posted

What the helll...You was Dishes with Dawn....not Bleach....that is just retarted

Posted

seriously your stepdad is strange

why the hell would he tell you to bleach the dishes?