Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hype/Bad Games

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I made this rant on a comments board earlier and I thought it would make an interesting article/point of discussion here

------

I've heard a lot of people being disapointed by the big games this generation of consoles. I don't think there's been a single game that I' havn't heard a good number of people say that it was a "disapointment" and it's rubbish compared to it's originals etc..

The thing is, this generation of games everyone has got far too hyped up about everything. Hyped far too much and expect things they're never going to have. This isn't even the developers and publisher's fault as much because they know what's going to happen and they

I havn't been disapointed by a single *mass hype* game that I've bought this generation, you know why? Because I havn't really cared, I don't camp outside the store expecting it to be the best game ever. I just wander down to a local store to see if they've still got some in stock (argos didn't fail me with mario kart the day after release. I would've got it in the evening on release but I was busy). Only exception to the not caring being smash bros. (import +freeloader), but even the *disapointment* of subspace emissary (which people seem to consider a far larger part of the game than it actually is) caught me by surprise, spent half the weekend doing subspace emissary with a friend on probabbly a far too hard difficulty level for him but it was still great fun, despite what reviews out (although it's not quite the same on single player).

Same goes for Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo etc. I've never made any sort of overexpectations about these games. I havn't been disapointed by them and I've had a great amount of fun with them

You see, this is why there probabbly shouldn't be sequels. It's not that they're bad (try playing the sequel to a game first, THEN play the original). it's that people create their own stupid amount of hype expecting it to be twice as good as the original, which was already an amazing game. Seeing new (or even well established devlopers) bringing new games completely out of the blue has a far greater effect on gamers and the industry as a whole. Take Okami for instance and Portal too. Both came from pretty much nowhere and are throughout regarded as awesome games by reviewers and gamers alike. If you want a sequel to actually be considered great, then you've probabbly got to make the first game pretty rubbish.

Now excuse me while I go down to the store later today and get wii fit and probabbly ignore GTA for the next month.

P.S. Of course a point can be made that in sequels a lot of the same ideas are used again. but I don't understand why people never come to expect that.

Posted

*Clap!*

I agree completely. The less I look forward to a game, the more I enjoy it. (With the exception of Phantom Hourglass. I couldn't wait for that and it exceeded my expectations.)

Posted

really i look at vidoes of it and then i think how it is and i love it!!!!

[size=1]ps:
join the twilight army!
[/size]

Posted

Very true. People do hype things up like "OH ITS THE GAME TO END ALL GAMES"; that was with Halo 3. Yes, it's a good game, but doesn't quite cut the same as it did with the original Halo.

Posted

[quote name='FLIP' post='140522' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:33 PM']Very true. People do hype things up like "OH ITS THE GAME TO END ALL GAMES"; that was with Halo 3. Yes, it's a good game, but doesn't quite cut the same as it did with the original Halo.[/quote]

I think you've missed part of my point, but nevermind.

Posted

[quote]a friend on probabbly a far too hard difficulty level for him but it was still great fun[/quote]

Hey! I didn't do that badly! Maybe it was a little tough...but I still did better than either of us expected, thanks to that useful "Send me to player 1" function :P

Posted

when na, anon, and i begin creating our game, we promise not to add hype, what ever the gamers think is because of them

Posted

[quote name='Soi Karuna' post='140576' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:10 PM']when na, anon, and i begin creating our game, we promise not to add hype, what ever the gamers think is because of them[/quote]

Most hype is generated by gamers anyway. Game companies release their videos and hype their games to some degree, but a lot of fans will overblow it, especially so with sequels. A first game will rarely generate a lot of hype, especially if it's a new devloper

Posted

I think it's cause there aren't any new games out there. Every hyped game I see out there is just the rehash of another game in the franchise, whether it's Zelda, Mario, Halo, or any other franchise. They are all just the same game with a different storyline.

Posted

[quote name='FLIP' post='140522' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:33 PM']Very true. People do hype things up like "OH ITS THE GAME TO END ALL GAMES"; that was with Halo 3. Yes, it's a good game, but doesn't quite cut the same as it did with the original Halo.[/quote]

I remember reading an old article about Halo in a magazine. They said that, although the game was great, it would never take off as a giant hit. Look at what Halo is now. This is why you should never trust gaming magazines.

Posted

:embarrassed: emm i dont wat 2 say
im kinda 50 50 ya know
im for make new storylines
but then its "o classic story ill like it"
but ehh

Posted

Well I like the Halo series, they're so cool! Yet I don't have an Xbox :unsure: I played them at my cousin's.
I like RPG games like Zelda, where you can move around and stuff.

I hate LoZ : MM. darn crap! It has a time limit!
Any time limit game.

These days games are getting somewhat not like the old Zelda games.