Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top 20 Cool Facts About New Zealand

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have never been out of the US. If I could go anywhere I would love to go to New Zealand. It looks amazing there and...well read the list and see!

1 Facts 1 - 5

b-kiwi-si-brown-doc-tm.jpg

1. While it is no longer the case, New Zealand was once governed as a part of the territory of New South Wales (later a part of Australia). When Australia federated in 1901, New Zealand was offered a place as one of their states. New Zealand refused and is its own country with no ties (other than economic and commonwealth) to Australia.

2. A kiwi is not a fruit - it is New Zealand

Posted

Despite living next door, Ive never been to NZ. I want to go :) maoris are cool, and the kiwi accent is funny.

Posted

I'd like to go to NZ too, though there are other nations I would rather visit.

Posted

I'm English, but I live in New Zealand. It not as great as all that.

My X amount of facts.

1. Helen Clark may be a female Prime Minister, but she is a terrible leader. The Labour government is losing its grip on the people and Helen Clark is not helping.

2. The school system is terrible. It hurts bright students and helps stupid ones. It is also based on an outcast of the UK's which decided that a points-based system is not a good way to run a secondary school system.

3. New Zealanders are not good on looking at the facts. They did not look at the pro/cons of nuclear power, and are now considering changing the laws in face of the oil crisis.

4. Despite the "Clean, Green" stance of New Zealand, it is in fact one of the dirtiest countries per capita.

5. Although the legal driving age is technically 15, it is not that simple. At 15, you are eligible to get a "Learners License" this is obtained by sitting a road rules test. On a Learner license, you can drive supervised by a holder of a full license. 6 months after getting your Learners, you can get your "Restricted" License. This is a simple practical test and allows you to drive without supervision, but you cannot take passengers unless you have a full license holder in the car. 12-18 months after getting a restricted license, you can get your full license, this is a harder practical test that allows you to take passengers and drive at all hours of the day.

The licensing system is as such where, in theory it is good, but in practice it fails. Kiwi drivers are bad, they are unobservant and inconsiderant, they are not taught well, and often lack basic car handling skills.

6. The Royal and National Anthems do not take equal standing. If they did, kiwis would know the Royal Anthem, most do not. Only those that have spent time in england know the "Royal" anthem. The Royal Anthem being the english national anthem.

7. New Zealand may have broken off official ties with countries, but economically, it is very vunerable to the sway of other countries. The current US reccession is causing a reccession here, nullified only slightly by the booming Chinese economy.

8. Maoris are not looked upon that kindly by "Pakeha". The vast majority (there are a few that do not fall into this category, but they are few) are uneducated and have an inflated sense of entitlement. Most are in gangs. This attitude is not helped by government hand-outs and scientific studies. The government gives out millions each year to Maoris in land and benifit, merely for being them. A recent scientific study showed that Maoris apparently have a "warrior" gene to explain their predominately violent behaviour. As an example of this bullshit: I am english, England once owned 25% of the world, we did not do this with tea and crumpets. The English were, and probably are the most ruthless race of people in the world. But no studies explain away this.

I am done for now.