Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nintendo: Core gamers will have to wait until 2009

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo recently released press statements concerning its release schedule for the rest of the year, but confirmed that its core first-party titles--[i]Zelda[/i] included--won't be seen until next year at the very least.

------

"You have seen the extent of [url="http://hyrule.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7524"]Nintendo's 2008 holiday lineup[/url]," Nintendo of America's new vice president of sales and marketing. But at the same time, NoA's president Reggie Fils-Aime said in reference to the company's flagship series that were hinted at during the past E3--[i]Mario[/i], [i]Pikmin[/i], [i]Kid Icarus[/i], and [i]Zelda[/i]--are "not this year."

"We never said we were bringing anything [to the core gamer] out this year," Fils-Aime said, "other than I said core gamers would be happy with, and they got [i]Animal Crossing[/i]."

Cammie Dunaway commented in [url="http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/nintendos-cammi.html"]an interview with Wired[/url], "You heard [Nintendo Global President Satoru] Iwata's commitment, that the [i]Zelda[/i] and [i]Mario[/i] teams are hard at work. And you know us...we don't talk about things until we are confident that they are in a place where we're going to be able to deliver on them in relatively short order after talking about them. So you have to know that those teams are working hard and there will be stuff that will be delightful coming out."

"...We announce what we have that's ready to share," Dunaway affirmed. "And one of the things that I love so much about Nintendo that I think is certainly unique in the scope of the companies that I've been involved in is that we don't release stuff until it's perfect. And so we don't talk about stuff until we've got a great degree of confidence that we're close enough to release it. So we announce what we have. And we're really proud of what we have coming in to this holiday season."

It seems like the core gamer will have to make due with [i]Animal Crossing: City Folk[/i], [i]Wii Music[/i], and other recently released first and second-party titles like [i]Super Smash Bros. Brawl[/i] and [i]Mario Kart Wii[/i].

Posted

Dunaway's comment about not announcing titles until they're near completion hasn't been very true in a lot of cases.

Posted

aw dang...

Nintendo needs to release more info about there games. not a whole lot but at least something that we can look forward too at the E3 conferences. I mean if they announced some thing other than AC and the new Wii titles, core gamers wouldnt be so disappointed about this year's Wii Lineup. They could have at least shown us what they have so far.

They probably dont want another TP or SSBB situation

Posted

[quote name='Goron Merchant' post='157552' date='Jul 26 2008, 06:03 AM']Dunaway's comment about not announcing titles until they're near completion hasn't been very true in a lot of cases.[/quote]

I think it's more a case of them learning their lesson now...

Posted

That's probably true.

But don't they want our opinions?

Posted

I guess I can wait till then. it's going to be worth it. I hope.

Posted

whats so wrong with ssbb or mario kart, their both fun ways to kill time between actual zelda and mario releases.

besides that ill own annyone on brawl... promagic, im callin you out :anger:

Posted

[quote name='Goron Merchant' post='157618' date='Jul 26 2008, 08:58 AM']But don't they want our opinions?[/quote]
Our opinions are what made so many people think TP was such a let down. In my opinion, they showed us too much BETA content way too early, and people got their expectations and hopes up way too high. TP was a very good game in itself, but it's the thought of what could have been in all of the early trailers--the seemingly boundless Hyrule Field, the giant crawling spider, and to some, the use of [i]Ocarina[/i] Link's voice (I'm personally glad they changed it though)--that get so many people disappointed with it.

People don't seem to understand all of that BETA content was just BETA, making relatively small use of the GameCube's total hardware. The final product was already pushing the GameCube to its limits. What people wanted from TP were things that the GameCube just wasn't capable of. Do you want to go through all that upset again a second time?

Posted

well, maybe nintendo should show just a little bit of a new game at one E3, but not enough to get us to create hype about it, but enough for us to get excited about it. Then the next year, some more content to get us more excited, and finally, when they confirm a release date, show enough to begin to create hype. That way, it wont be a total let down, much like i thought TP was (TP was good, but i thought it was too short and lacked on replay value. I still give it a 9.5 for innovation)

Posted

All I can say is that I hope for 2009 to be a great year for Nintendo and it's gamers...

Posted

agreed

SirJosh, did you just start playing The World Ends With You? i noticed you have hanekoma for an avy

Posted

Mario Kart will do it's thang. I can wait.

Posted

[quote name='Soi Karuna' post='158039' date='Jul 27 2008, 12:22 PM']SirJosh, did you just start playing The World Ends With You? i noticed you have hanekoma for an avy[/quote]
Why yes, I did! I'm on day three of Joshua's chapter right now. And I made my avatar myself! Here's a bigger version for you gaze upon.

[center][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Joshua_hatesYOU/Sanae.gif[/img][/center]

Hey eyeoftruth, we should play some time! :o

Posted

[quote name='Soi Karuna' post='157869' date='Jul 27 2008, 04:13 AM']well, maybe nintendo should show just a little bit of a new game at one E3, but not enough to get us to create hype about it, but enough for us to get excited about it. Then the next year, some more content to get us more excited, and finally, when they confirm a release date, show enough to begin to create hype. That way, it wont be a total let down, much like i thought TP was (TP was good, but i thought it was too short and lacked on replay value. I still give it a 9.5 for innovation)[/quote]

too SHORT?

the only games longer are RPGs like final fantasy and they get away with it because there's constant battles...

Also, if they did say anything more than "we're working on one" it would start to create hype and when it could be at least two years before we see it, that's a bad thing.