Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaming Consoles Maybe Extinct By 2020

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Most people believe that the home consoles are at the highest point they've ever been but according to Alex St. John they won't still be being made in 12 years :fear:

------------------------------------
Games consoles will be extinct by 2020 - that's according to online game network WildTangent boss Alex St. John.

Advertisement:
Speaking at the Casual Connect game conference in Seattle, St. John (no idea if he owns an ambulance, by the way) said, "I am going to make some outrageous claims today... Just remember, that I am right.

"We are looking at the last generation of consoles right now. I am going to predict to you that the PS3, the Wii and the Xbox are the last generation of consoles that you either see or that anybody regards as successful in the market."

The WildTangent boss called the console space an "extremely fragile business," adding that when it comes to community-based PC and online games - which his company works on - the big publishers have a "negative advantage".

"Everything they know how to do is wrong," he said, before going off on one: "They start in a well. They think that brand matters. They think that their marketing expertise matters. They think that a pile of art work and a box matters. They have got a bunch of people paid huge salaries with years of expertise who would never dream of firing themselves because they have got the wrong domain expertise.

"And so Disney, for example, would never have funded the $200 million project to build Club Penguin, but boy they paid $700 million like little b****** to buy it after it hit the market."

Even the Wii didn't miss St. John's onslaught; he said the only thing that makes it different are the proprietary controllers. "That's the same thing that happened to the arcade video game business years ago."

The shift to PC games is already occurring, he said. He would though, wouldn't he? He makes his money from PC digital downloads.

Check back in 12 years to see if he's right.
-----------------------------------------------------

Source:[url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193884"]Computers And Videogames[/url]

Posted

That's bullcrap. Video games will live on. This is an idea by South Park. I watched the episode last night.

Anyway as long as big companies make money, they won't stop producing them.

Posted

LLLLLIIIIIIIIEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!

The consoles will live on! Viva la former Revolution!(Wii Joke)

Posted

YYeeeeeaaaaaaaaah no.

Consles will never stop...not with their over demand and reliability...

Seriously, PC's are great and all, but do you seriously see a casual gamer wanting to spend $1500 bucks to play the latest and greatest games? No, they'll settle with something a bit cheaper, like a consle. They'll go with a 360 or a Wii because they are cheaper and are just there. ALSO, I don't know of too many consles that would get virus' easily.

As for the future of consles, I don't think graphics are going to get better. No, the future of games is going to be:
A) Better detail (such as correct clothes movements to wind, idividual blades of grass, things like that)
B) Interactivity (Wii is already interactive, but how about VR in our living rooms?)
C) Faster and more Reliable (If you have a PS3, you KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! Freakin' 30 minutes before I could play GTA4........ugg.......)

Anyways, no consles won't die out. I bet that 12 years from now I'm going to be sitting in my living room with my kids playing on a Playstation 6 or a Xbox1020...or a Nintendo U...haha.

Posted

don't you guys watch decline of video gaming?

games will always be around, just cheap remakes and gimmics is all

Posted

NOOOOOOO!

Posted

dont worry that guys an idiot :unsure:

Posted

Opinionated Bullcrap.

Posted

Ahahaha, I doubt it... with the alarming rate with which technology is evolving, they will jsut find a way to make new, innovative consoles with that technology...

Human progress just doesn't stop, not at this point in time anyway.

Posted

LOLz!!!! if that is so, then the migration would have already happened. Ha Ha Ha

The pinnacle of Video game greatness either computer or console is virtual reality......

So far, correct me if I'm wrong but computers have an advantage, MMORPG's the ease of connecting with another player. However the consoles are starting to pick up the rear, with BRAWL and Halo as my examples.

Computers are not made for games, Except those that create them so. Computers are made for, can i say it?, ANYTHING, videos, Internet, homework, look at your desktop and tell me I'm wrong! You will not catch me doing homework on my Wii, that is because consoles put 100% effort into video-games.

I once wondered if the mouse and keyboard would ever become obsolete, but the only connection that might be faster than flesh and plastic, would be mind and machine.
10 years ago I was barely 9 years old, crying, at the beauty of finally defeating Andros in StarFox and saving uneria, I was standing in the middle of the room furniture far spread from my location, With my trusty N64 controller molded into my sweaty palms.

It felt....REAL.....Then again, I was 9.

There might be a time when both achieve the greatness, maby with different interfaces, but each will survive.

Posted

[quote name='real link' post='158532' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:29 PM']dont worry that guys an idiot :unsure:[/quote]
hey! I'm not stupid
[url="http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/158631"]http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/158631[/url] see, watch, it foretells the future

Posted

I like them both. But seriously, no console ever truly dies out, hell, I still have a Dreamcast and Genesis. There are too many fans for them to simply die out, especially is such short a time as 12 years.

Posted

Funnily enough, WildTangent is totally into the idea of updating when you don't know it is, without telling you. (B******* like to mess up my connection speed...) The leaders have no idea how to make PC games themselves, deciding on low budget low quality works that are only mimics of other games...
Another thing is that gaming in general has no limit. Video games engross larger audiences than movies, because gaming rivals them in cinematics, soundtrack, and replay value. Replay value isn't even in question... People might watch a two hour movie but video games keep people glued to screens for hours. The rise of MLG, (Major League Gaming) is another testament to the console gaming industry's strength. There are actually segments on ESPN of MLG Halo 3 tournaments, with exciting commentary and a dedicated audience.
I say screw WildTangent... They never have marketing expertise before and I doubt they'd get it now.
Console gaming is still strong.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Consoles are just as likely to die out as books and movies...

I rest my case

Posted

[quote name='Luneth Uchiha' post='158449' date='Jul 28 2008, 03:08 PM']don't you guys watch decline of video gaming?

games will always be around, just cheap remakes and gimmics is all[/quote]

Great series by the Super Flash Bros. They're one of the reasons I started Flash animating.
I'm not as great as them, but I'm starting out:
[url="http://mmntw26.deviantart.com/art/Triple-DJ-z-Cookies-93083917"]http://mmntw26.deviantart.com/art/Triple-D...ookies-93083917[/url]

Fun stuff...anyways, yeah. JT was always my fav, and the 2nd episode was the best one.

To the future of games, my previous opinions are still the same.

[quote name='Sahaqiel' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:42 PM']Funnily enough, WildTangent is totally into the idea of updating when you don't know it is, without telling you. (B******* like to mess up my connection speed...) The leaders have no idea how to make PC games themselves, deciding on low budget low quality works that are only mimics of other games...
Another thing is that gaming in general has no limit. Video games engross larger audiences than movies, because gaming rivals them in cinematics, soundtrack, and replay value. Replay value isn't even in question... People might watch a two hour movie but video games keep people glued to screens for hours. The rise of MLG, (Major League Gaming) is another testament to the console gaming industry's strength. There are actually segments on ESPN of MLG Halo 3 tournaments, with exciting commentary and a dedicated audience.
I say screw WildTangent... They never have marketing expertise before and I doubt they'd get it now.
Console gaming is still strong.
Sahaqiel[/quote]

Well said! I was part of the chain of Halo tournaments when the third one came out, and I could never remember having so much fun...ever. And when I went to watch Dark Knight recently, I was like ''Cool, but I wouldn't watch it a hundred more times.''

Me? I'm still playing RE4 to this day. This would be my 10th time playing through on normal and 3rd time on Professional. Games won't die out, no matter how old they get.