Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Review: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

11 posts in this topic

Posted

[i]The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past[/i] is a truly marvelous game. There's over 10 dungeons, a giant overworld, and immersive gameplay. Take hold of your shield and Master Sword and prepare to enter the Dark World. Just be wary of all the fiends that lurk within.

------

The gameplay is very smooth. You can easily slide right into the game, and you'll literally be playing for hours upon hours at a time. There's hardly ever any lag, and if there is, chances are you were actually trying to find it. The transition between maps are fast, but compared to other games on the Super Nintendo, could be faster. Saving the game, unlike some present-day games, is rather easily done. There are few times when the game gets a bit too easy for veteran players, but balanced so that beginners will be able to ease into the game. The puzzles in this game are good for beginners, but sometimes pose a little challenge to the veteran gamers in later levels.

[i]A Link to the Past[/i] has excellent graphics for a game in the Super Nintendo era. The maps are all well done, and the overall sprites and tiles for the game are crisp. There's a wide variety of terrain, and no main dungeons reuse old tiles from the previous ones. In addition, the dungeons layouts are well done, avoiding the feeling of linearity. It'll feel like you're twisting and turning In each dungeon, providing much more of a welcome challenge.

The sound and music for this game, composed entirely by Koji Kondo, are all masterfully done. The sound effects are well place with the actions. However, the music could use a little more variety. You're basically stuck listening to the same music and sound effects throughout all of Hyrule, Lake Hylia, and the Desert of Mysteries. The Dark World doesn't improve much on the music either, though it's a bit better then the Hyrule Overworld theme. The dungeon music has very little variety; through most of the main temples and dungeons, you're stuck with the same song.

This game will call back to you easily, especially if you missed out on things from your first run of the game. If you're one of those people who like to go through and get everything on your first try, you won't feel the urge to replay this game too soon. But if you haven't played a good game for a while or missed some extras or side quests, then this will certainly be one of the games that you'll want to replay to pass the time.

[i]A Link to the Past[/i] is a very well planned game, with excellent winding dungeons and in-game feel that you don't get too much nowadays with games. It'll leave you stunned with it's massive overworld and it's puzzles and epic storyline, even with the lack of variety from Its music department. For those who have never played it, it'll leave no room for doubt as to why so many consider this game one of the best ever.

Story: 8.5/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Graphics: 9.5/10
Music & sound: 8/10
Replayability: 8.5/10
[size=3][b]Overall score: 9/10[/b][/size]

[i]Overall score not an average.[/i]

Posted

good job!but isn't it a bit late for that review?

Posted

after all this is the legond of zelda

Posted

Part of 3.0 is adding much more content. The site never had reviews, so we're putting them out for all the games.

Posted

All part of Dustin's divine plan I presume?

Anyway, nice review. I should definitely go back to 1992 and snap this game up before anyone else beats me to it. :D

Posted

[quote name='Teto' post='211555' date='Mar 22 2009, 06:18 PM']All part of Dustin's divine plan I presume?

Anyway, nice review. I should definitely go back to 1992 and snap this game up before anyone else beats me to it. :D[/quote]

Or,if your lazy like me,get for Virtual Console

Posted

Nah, time travel is far more entertaining. Risky too.

Anyway, I don't use virtual console anyway. Waste of money frankly so I just use roms and stuff.

Posted

[quote name='Teto' post='211573' date='Mar 22 2009, 07:19 PM']Nah, time travel is far more entertaining. Risky too.[/quote]
Cool!wait,you have a time machine?I want to go to 1995

Posted

i have a time machine....its essentially a cardboard box with time machine written with sharpie on it

Posted

Actually, my idea. I'm in charge of all the site's written content, pretty much. I commission all the articles and reviews, and the new staff writers help me in getting them all done.

Posted

Yeah. I'm now writing a review for Link's Awakening.
Expect it by Saturday at the lastest.
(I decided to replay it before I write the review :P)